Thread: Byrne dies at 87

MLB ERA

Byrne dies at 87

Tommy Byrne, a hard-throwing left-hander who pitched in four World Series and was known for struggles with his control, died on Thursday in Wake Forest, N.C. He was 87.

A Baltimore product who grew up idolizing Babe Ruth, Byrne was signed by the Yankees in 1940 and debuted in New York in 1943. He pitched two stints with the Bombers, winning 15 games in both 1949 and '50 before returning to win a career-high 16 games in 1955.

Byrne's erratic control earned him the nickname "Wild Man." Byrne walked 179 batters in 1949 and 160 batters in 1950, and despite his high win totals in both seasons, he was dealt to the St. Louis Browns in June 1951 for left-handed pitcher Stubby Overmire.

Byrne was also known as a strong-hitting pitcher, one used frequently by Yankees manager Casey Stengel in pinch-hitting appearances. He sometimes batted seventh or eighth on the days he pitched.

Byrne batted .238 with 14 home runs and 98 RBIs in 601 career at-bats. With the White Sox on May 16, 1953, Byrne hit a pinch-hit grand slam off Yankees hurler Ewell Blackwell into the right-field seats at Yankee Stadium.

After spending time with the Washington Senators and Chicago White Sox, Byrne returned to the Yankees in 1954 at Stengel's urging and finished his career in New York, pitching a complete-game victory in Game 2 of the 1955 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers.
    The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: New York Yankees News

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, R.I.P.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

Re: Byrne dies at 87

He's a guy I always respected. Not the most talented player ever, but he made the most of what he had.
    Rest in Peace, Tommy.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Awful time of the year to pass. My prayers go out to his family.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    Awful time of the year to pass. My prayers go out to his family.
    Very true...I'm usually up on Yankee lore, and I recognize the name, but hey wasn't anything big...

Regardless, RIP in Yankee Heaven.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

One of the more underrated Yankee hurlers, RIP
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.