Thread: Yankees to sign LaTroy Hawkins

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees to sign LaTroy Hawkins

The New York Yankees are on the verge of signing veteran relief pitcher LaTroy Hawkins to a one-year contract worth $3.75 million, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

A 13-year veteran, Hawkins had a 3.42 ERA last season pitching for the National League champion Colorado Rockies.

Foxsports.com first reported the potential deal.

The Yankees will be the sixth different team Hawkins will play for in his major league career. He 631 career appearances and all but 98 of them have come as a reliever.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY ARE YOU SIGNING LATROY HAWKINS??????????????????????????????????????????

This is unbelievable.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Yankees to sign LaTroy Hawkins

This is a ****ing joke...Is this really the best that we could do?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

quite frankly... yes it is the best we could do. unless you want to 3-4 years to vizcaino. hawkins had a 3.40 era last year in colorado... on a 1 year deal, its worth a flyer. if he sucks, you release him... its not like locking yourself into a 4 year deal to a big guy who throws 99, only to have him absolutely suck and give up home runs constantly, and then you try to trade him every offseason, but no gm in their right mind is smart enough to take him without asking you to pay his entire contract and give you a shit talent back like another reliever we have.

MLB ERA

I don't want Vizcaino on 3-4 years, I just don't see LaTroy Hawkins succeeding in NY, period, end of story.

Eh, one year of Hawkins is probably better than 3-4 of anyone else on the market. I have no problem with this. It is worth a shot to have another veteran presence in the BP considering all the young'ns we'll have going. Well, I don't think it can hurt anyway.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hawkins can definitely hurt.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

David Ortiz is loving this signing.
    Save Phil Hughes

Look, all I'm saying is he is a solid middle reliever, and we are getting him for just one year. On that basis it is a solid signing. Nobody is saying Hawkins is going to come in and set up for Mo. Obviously that would be a terrible decision. I think he is a solid addition to a pen that is far from settled. If he doesn't work out, it isn't like he is unmovable. Solid. I'm expecting a 4.4-ish ERA out of him, like Viz put up this year.

I believe that it's a good strategy for any team to pick up 2 or 3 relievers cheap and try to catch lightning in a bottle. That is so long as they aren't long term deals. To me it's a "no risk signing", if he doesn't work out you release him, and there is always the chance that he'll step up and be a key member of the bullpen.

I just can't over how you guys are complaining about a 1 year deal that amounts to less than $4 million, yet some of the same ones complaining are OK with paying 13 or 14 million dollars to a declining catcher and a 40 year old reliever. Those deals carry a hell of a lot more risk than this one!!!!!!!!

MLB ERA

*whistles*

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So I got you mixed up. Congrats on still going off topic and trying to call me on it

whistling a funky tune