Thread: Cashman balked on Santana deal

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cashman balked on Santana deal

Brian Cashman, Yanks balk at millions and Phil Hughes for Johan Santana

Believe it or not, the final decision not to go through with a deal that was on the table - one that would have sacrificed Hughes, Melky Cabrera, 23-year-old Double-A righthander Jeff Marquez and 22-year-old A-ball third baseman Mitch Hilligoss - was based on money.

Once Andy Pettitte announced he was returning to the fold for $16 million, it meant the Yankees had committed $408.4 million this winter to retain six players. The acquisition of Santana would have meant tacking on another $125 million to that figure, and Cashman, who never wanted to do the Santana deal in the first place, blanched at the prospect of adding another $20 million to a payroll that was already on the cusp of $200 million, again. In this respect, the timing of Pettitte's decision to return - while initially seen as giving the Yankees additional leverage in their dealings with the Twins on Santana - actually gave Cashman the "out" he needed.

Bad as it was to be sacrificing Hughes, Cashman told the Yankee high command, look at what the payroll was going to be now if they added $20 million-$21 million for Santana on top of the $16 million they just tacked on with Pettitte. At that point, there was considerable internal debate as to whether to proceed with Santana even after the Twins had backed off from Kennedy and picked Marquez, who is regarded as a second-tier pitching prospect, and Hilligoss, a Wade Boggs-type singles-hitting third baseman who did have a 35-game hitting streak last season and led the South Atlantic League in hits.

In the end, Cashman prevailed, convincing Hank and Hal Steinbrenner of something he could never have done with their dad - that trading for Johan Santana was simply too expensive for the New York Yankees.

Good for him.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Cashman balked on Santana deal

Yes.

I absolutely love this.

Thank you Andy.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

this just means it'll make the sox or - whoever that is interested in Santana - easier to acquire him. But yeah, Cashman made a good decision, Giving up their blooming young stars would be pointless, when they will have Hughes and Joba.

Unlike Tigers' GM Dave Dombrowski, who boldly sacrificed his two top prospects - lefthander Andrew Miller and center fielder Cameron Maybin - to go for it all in a deal for Florida's two franchise players Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera, Cashman is overly proctective of his prospects.

With his own contract expiring after next season, Cashman better have an idea as to where all those innings are going to come from and he'd better be right that Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy are the real deal.
    The funny thing is that most Yankees fans are very happy about this, but Bill Madden is very critical of Cashman in that article.

MLB ERA

The future is bright for the men in pinstripes.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

AAA ERA

As long as Boston doesn't gte him it will turn out to be a great decision. If now Boston gets him w/ that proposed lesser deal then we'll pay for a long time unless Hughes and Joba turn into Santana types.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

May luck out and see Santana go to the NL, rarely worrying about facing him ever again.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    As long as Boston doesn't gte him it will turn out to be a great decision. If now Boston gets him w/ that proposed lesser deal then we'll pay for a long time unless Hughes and Joba turn into Santana types.

Very accurate assessment IMO. Rep +. By the same token, I wouldn't want Boston to give up Lester and Ellsbury to get Santana, BUT if the Yankees were going to get him then I would be ok with a Lester and Ellsbury for Santana deal. Not neccessarily happy with it, but ok with it. I think Santana is a player that could be a cornerstone to a good team for at least 4 or 5 years. I think he could make Boston dominant for 2 or 3 years. If he were to go to the Yankees, he'll offset any pitching advantage the Sox currently have. I don't see the Sox beating both Pettite and Santana in a playoff series, we all know how the Sox struggle against lefty pitching.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Lester arm was the reason why we did not do the deal yet. The cancer was gone and that was the good part. last I was hearing was the we (Twins) we worried about Lester arm strength. I still would have taken the Hughes - Cabrera - Jackson or another spec deal. Hughes is very good better than lester. But Ellsbury to me is better than Cabrera. Without question Santana will be moved by the start of spring training.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Oh one more point, Carl Polad could pay Santana the money he is asking for. With a new stadium opening in the next 2 years, why not pay him? I am sick of Polads decisions on running our club. I would pay to get the old senile bastard Steinbrenner run the club. He at least can spend money and not worry about the effects of doing it.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hey, at least you're not a Marlins fan, mntwinsfan.

Now that operation is ridiculous.

Marlins and D Rays should be contracted. They are a joke. Particularly the Marlins. Move them to a AAA league and make them a minor league affiliate of somebody. That's all they are now anyways, they devolop players for other teams, then trade them for more players that need development. They've won 2 championships only to sell out immediately afterward.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't think the deal with DET was bad at all. And the Beckett deal was good for them as well. They're good at finding and developing talent.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

And then trading it when they get good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    They're good at finding and developing talent.
    Exactly, the job of a minor league team.