22 year old sinkerballer.
    Save Phil Hughes

MLB ERA

Re: Is Johan Worth It?

Is he supposed to be a prospect?

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Is that a question or a statement? It's a good bet you have the interweb and can decide yourself.
    Save Phil Hughes

MLB ERA

The question mark should have made it sufficiently clear. However, you are correct, I can find out the prospect status of Jeff Marquez on my own, and I assure you, that I knew it before this issue arose and before you posted in this thread.

Still, from time to time, I deign to listen the "opinions" of persons such as yourself, not necessarily for my benefit but for your own. I've been told that this raises your "self-esteem" which seems to be so lacking in the youth of today. So please, give me your assessment of this Jeff Marquez. I consider it a mitzvah.

AA ERA

I'm not really sure why we're even debating the merits of Jeff Marquez, I threw out an arbitrary name that didn't happen to be Austin Jackson, Jose Tabata or Alan Horne but is a member of the Yankee farm system. I don't really understand the level of condescension in your post either. I'm not proposing the "win theory" that was so popular all those years ago.

Though we all are remarkably honored when you bestow your presence and knowledge upon us ignorant dwellers of the strike 3 forums.
    Save Phil Hughes

AA ERA

The Twins know they would get Hughes and center fielder Melky Cabrera for Santana, and the Yankees believe that is enough of a concession to acquire a pitcher who will also demand a contract exceeding $100 million. They have told the Twins that at least five other prospects are untouchable — Dellin Betances, Alan Horne, Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy and José Tabata.
    -NYT

Interesting, I don't think the trade gets done as it stands right now.

I'm not sure the mindset behind the Danny Haren pursuit. Doesn't seem like trading Hughes or Kennedy for Haren would improve our rotation much, aside from having a somewhat proven commodity. Unless the proposition consists of Jackson and Tabata...

Then again, remind me the last time Beane made a trade involving a pitcher that didn't result in being decidedly one sided.
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by perforatededge54 View Post
    -NYT

Then again, remind me the last time Beane made a trade involving a pitcher that didn't result in being decidedly one sided.
    Tim Hudson for Juan Cruz, Dan Meyer and Charles Thomas.

AA ERA

I'm not sure the juries out on that trade just yet, but it's a good point. Hudson has been injury prone but effective in two of his three years but Meyer had a pretty good season in AAA last year. He is, however, getting older.
    Save Phil Hughes

MLB ERA

-NYT

Interesting, I don't think the trade gets done as it stands right now.

I'm not sure the mindset behind the Danny Haren pursuit. Doesn't seem like trading Hughes or Kennedy for Haren would improve our rotation much, aside from having a somewhat proven commodity. Unless the proposition consists of Jackson and Tabata...

I agree. The deal is not rich enough for the Twins to part with Johan. If the Yankees cannot make a deal for him during the winter meetings, I think they are out of the running.
    The Red Sox may have the last word with a couple of pitchers and Coco Crisp, although Coco isn't a long-term answer for anyone.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

AA ERA

According to that same NY Times article, the Twins don't want Crisp because of the 10 mil left on his deal. Hence their obsession with Ellsbury.
    Save Phil Hughes

AA ERA

Twins Insider: Hold on — Santana won't be moved easily, if at all

I think this article is basically what every fan base wants to hear.
    Save Phil Hughes

MLB ERA

According to that same NY Times article, the Twins don't want Crisp because of the 10 mil left on his deal. Hence their obsession with Ellsbury.
    I agree. His contract would have to be revisited prior to his inclusion in a deal of this sort, unless it was part of a larger deal involving several other teams. I remember a time in which the Twins could have scuttled an entire deal because the Red Sox did not give them a prospect, but they did not do so.
    The Twins have no reason to be in a hurry to deal their ace. They are waiting for the highest possible bid and are letting the "big-boys" play against each other trying to get him.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    Melky Cabrera is hardly a commodity. He won't be someone you miss.
    Yeah, OK.

He led the majors with 16 outfield assists, and his hitting is only getting better.

I would absolutely hate this trade from nearly every angle.

MLB ERA

I agree with you Dry. Melky Cabrera is a fine young ballplayer. If the Yankees and Twins do pull the trigger on this deal, I will be happy to see the outfield of Delmon Young, Melky Cabrera and Michael Cuddyer. All have great arms and are very athletic. Speed will have improved as well. Those guys can cover a lot of ground. When the Twins move into their new ballpark in a couple of seasons, I expect Young and Cuddyer to switch positions, moving the speedier player to right.
    Phillip Hughes and Fransisco Liriano will be a very nice 1-2 punch for the Twins rotation as well.
    From the Yankees perspective, if they don't bring in a proven starting pitcher this winter, they may as well get used to looking up at the Red Sox in the standings. The 3rd player the Yankees send in the deal will determine if the deal will be done, IMO.
    In the long run does this deal really strengthen the Yankees though? They give up a lot for one of the best starting pitchers in the game and then have to negotiate a $150M 6-year deal with him to keep him happy. Fortunately, they have the resources to make this happen.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    I can deal losing a package of Melky, Hughes, and a B-level Prospect.

Santana is Santana. You won't find a better pitcher out there, but even the best have a value, and going much beyond the above package would make this deal not worth making.
    If the Twins came to the Reds and asked for Homer/Cueto, Edwin, and a B Level prospect (plus Santana signing an extension) I wouldnt think twice about it. Prospects in most part are unproven, while Santana has been among the elites the past five years. Plus Santana's only 28, he could pitch at a really high level for a long time to go. I dont think twice about making a deal if I'm the Yanks with the only caveat being whether Santana's resignable.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast