Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Yankees offer Lowell 4 year-deal worth $56-60 mil to play first base

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rumor: Yankees offer Lowell 4 year-deal worth $56-60 mil to play first base

(WBZ) BOSTON Mike Lowell has a major decision to make.

WBZ's Dan Roche has confirmed the free agent third baseman has drastically different offers from the Red Sox and the Yankees on the table.

Roche has learned the Red Sox have a firm offer of a three-year contract worth $36-to-$40 million.

The Yankees have offered the World Series MVP a four-year deal, worth $56-to-$60 million, according to Roche. But they would like him to play first base, if they re-sign Alex Rodriguez to play third.

Lowell hit .400 (6-for-15) in the 2007 World Series with four RBIs, three walks and a team-high six runs.

He set career bests by batting .324 with a team-leading 120 RBIs during the regular season.

He hit .348 in the postseason with two homers and 13 RBIs.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...way too much money and years for Mike Lowell who doesn't need to play first. Don't do it Yankees!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Rumor: Yankees offer Lowell 4 year-deal worth $56-60 mil to play first base

horrible

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Do it, Cashman. Fulfill the void inside of you from the moment you traded Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnell.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Shit, this is a terrible idea.
    Save Phil Hughes

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I hope it happens from the standpoint of watching all of "Red Sox Nation" turn on Lowell...it'll be worth it to me

Mike Lowell was a slightly above average hitter on the road last year, with huge stats inflated by batting average in Fenway last year (which I am eternally appreciative for).

Mike Lowell's strength as a defensive 3B is nullified when moved to first.

So...56-60 mil for a first baseman who may put up an .800 OPS? I bet Matt Stairs could do that for a year or two in Toronto too.

Edit: To be honest, for some reason, I have accepted Lowell possibly leaving. I believe he had an affinity to New York due to being in their system, and he gave his all while here. If he decides to go to NYY, I won't boo him.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Now do you guys see why I blame your front office for not winning WS's and not Torre? If this is true, it will be more proof that this is a poorly run team and has been for years! There is a reason Epstein didn't give Lowell that 4th year, he's smart.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Now do you guys see why I blame your front office for not winning WS's and not Torre? If this is true, it will be more proof that this is a poorly run team and has been for years! There is a reason Epstein didn't give Lowell that 4th year, he's smart.
    Honestly, I don't think anyone cares what you think.
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pretty sure the same goes for you.

The deals for Posada and Mo I can understand. I was against going crazy with them. The Yanks went crazy with them. Whatever. They're our own.

Offering Mike Lowell more than they gave Damon, Posada, Matsui, etc. is just idiocy. I'd actually have to agree with Reef if this came to pass.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    The deals for Posada and Mo I can understand. I was against going crazy with them. The Yanks went crazy with them. Whatever. They're our own.

Offering Mike Lowell more than they gave Damon, Posada, Matsui, etc. is just idiocy. I'd actually have to agree with Reef if this came to pass.
    agreed all around. im fine with outbidding ourselves on posada, and most especially mo because of what theyve done for us the last 10 years... but outbidding anybody else by 5+ mil on lowell is ridiculous and downright moronic.

If they want to pay him that much, more power to them. If he leaves for the Yankees for that deal, I'm happy for him if that's what he wants. I certainly don't want the Red Sox to get in a bidding war with the Yankees for him. I've said it time and time again... Lowell is worth far more to the Red Sox than any other team. The Red Sox offered him a very fair contract, probably more than he is worth to another team IMO. If somebody offers him more, then they are getting a bad deal. Epstein is being smart by keeping with 3 years or no deal. Stand your ground Theo!!!! If this goes through let's look at a possible partial lineup of the 2009 Yankees based on current contracts...

1B Mike Lowell... 35 years old
    2B Robinson Cano... 27 years old
    SS Derek Jeter... 35 years old
    3B Alex Rodriguez... 34 years old
    C Jorge Posada... 38 years old
    DH Jason Giambi... 38 years old
    LF Hideki Matsui... 35 years old
    CF Johnny Damon... 36 years old
    RF Melky Cabrera... 25 years old

And just for good measure, throw in their 40 year old closer Mariano Rivera. Just for good measure maybe they add 47 year old Roger Clemens in June to make a late season push and pay him $3 million per start!!!

MLB ERA

If this goes through I will put this at the top of the worst signing lists along with Pavano.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

1B Mike Lowell/Jason Giambi
    2B Robinson Cano
    SS Derek Jeter
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    C Jorge Posada
    DH Jason Giambi/Johnny Damon
    LF Hideki Matsui/Johnny Damon
    CF Melky Cabrera
    RF Bobby Abreu/Johnny Damon

I'd personally hate this team. But if I were GM, we wouldn't have Giambi or Damon, and definetly not Lowell.

MLB ERA

What about this...trade Cano for Santana and move Lowell to second?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast