Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

Alex Rodriguez may be headed back to the Bronx after all -- but on the Yankees' terms.

Despite all of the back-and-forth posturing between the Yankees and A-Rod' camp, the Daily News learned today that the two sides have been discussing a deal for the past few days to keep the two-time MVP in pinstripes, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The biggest catch? The Yankees don't want agent Scott Boras involved in the negotiations.

A high-ranking Yankees source told the Daily News that the team is willing to bring Rodriguez back on a below-market contract, one that would make up for the $21 million subsidy from the Rangers that the Yanks lost when A-Rod opted out of the final three years of his contract.

In addition, the Yankees don't want to deal with Boras, who has been Rodriguez's agent since the slugger was 16 years old.

"We will not negotiate with Scott Boras," a Yankees source said. "He cannot be in the room."

The Yankees are also aware that Boras could convince Rodriguez to stop the talks. "We realize it could be a trap to get us back in the negotiations," said one Yankee official. "But we don't think that's the case."

Rodriguez apparently approached the Yankees through a third-party intermediary. "He went to them," said the source.
    Compliments of the Daily News: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

Honestly, I'd take him as long as the money lost from the Texas subsidy is figured in.

MLB ERA

Re: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

I think it's a cute ploy for the Yankees to act as if they would still negotiate only if Rodriguez doesn't bring the guy he pays to negotiate for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees would look so bad if he came back!

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Not if it was for less than for what they originally offered.
    Save Phil Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Yankees would look so bad if he came back!
    Certainly if they end up paying him more than they would have originally.

However, Hank said he was against keeping anyone that did not want to be a Yankee. Now, if there is anything to this report, than it appears A-Rod is the one crawling back to the Yankees. The sticking point will be the money though.

Really, it wouldn't make much sense for the Yankees not to get involved again if the market out there for A-Rod was less than what they were originally offering.

But I hear ya man; I don't want to see A-Rod again unless it is for less money.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Are you guys ****ing kidding me? Show some ******* backbone!! The Yankees made it very clear that they would not retain ARod's services if he opts and now pulled a 180. They would look stupid and cowardly and fans aren't going to let this down. Steinbrenner would look like even more of a joke. Boras is just using the Yankees. Yankees brass needs to stick by their word and get Cabrera or Scott Rolen instead of looking like fools and bring back ARod. ARod made it very clear he didn't want to be a Yankee when he opted out.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'll take A-Rod if he fires Boras.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Are you guys ****ing kidding me? Show some ******* backbone!! The Yankees made it very clear that they would not retain ARod's services if he opts and now pulled a 180. They would look stupid and cowardly and fans aren't going to let this down. Steinbrenner would look like even more of a joke. Boras is just using the Yankees. Yankees brass needs to stick by their word and get Cabrera or Scott Rolen instead of looking like fools and bring back ARod. ARod made it very clear he didn't want to be a Yankee when he opted out.
    You are forgetting why they would not retain his services if he opted out: the Texas subsidy. Any deal with A-Rod still has to revolve around him losing out on that money. I fail to see how the Yankees look bad if A-Rod re-signs for less money than what they originally offered. From a purely financial stand point, the Yankees would be the big winners in that case and Boras the big loser. Boras isn't even part of these discussions. The Yankees won't negotiate with him, so I fail to see how he can possibly use them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

10 years, 275 mil is the number being said. john sterling per a source close to the yankees went on mike and the mad dog and says that on a level of 1 to 100, a deal is about a 101. arod came back to the yankees, boras is not involved in the negotiations, and the 10 years, 275 mil is whats being said. we'll see what happens, but if this comes to fruition... we got the best player on the market, and didnt have to give up melky and ian kennedy to get him. and we got back the 21 mil, plus a couple mil extra, i dont see how the yankees come out looking bad.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    You are forgetting why they would not retain his services if he opted out: the Texas subsidy. Any deal with A-Rod still has to revolve around him losing out on that money. I fail to see how the Yankees look bad if A-Rod re-signs for less money than what they originally offered. From a purely financial stand point, the Yankees would be the big winners in that case and Boras the big loser. Boras isn't even part of these discussions. The Yankees won't negotiate with him, so I fail to see how he can possibly use them.
    You make my point for me. The Yankees lost that $20 million and now it will cost MORE money to get Arod back. You think somehow Boras is going to bring his price down for the Yanks?? Don't make me laugh. They look bad for going back on their word. Who wants a boss like that? No one does and no one wants an owner like that either. It doesn't look good and shows just how badly run this franchise has become. Boras not being a part of these negotiations is about the most naive shit I have ever heard. Boras is his agent and Arod does what he says, not the other way around unless you haven't been following baseball. Boras/Arod or however you want to put it is using the Yankees just like most FAs do, to drive up prices and make teams panic. Overpaying for Arod, Rivera and Posada makes this all look bad. I cannot see how you guys think bringing back Arod is a good thing when it is clear he does not want to be a Yankee.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Yankees will be in violation of baseball's collective-bargaining agreement if they exclude agent Scott Boras from their negotiations with his client, Alex Rodriguez.
    It was stupid to think he wouldn't have anything to do with negotiations anywway

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    10 years, 275 mil is the number being said. john sterling per a source close to the yankees went on mike and the mad dog and says that on a level of 1 to 100, a deal is about a 101. arod came back to the yankees, boras is not involved in the negotiations, and the 10 years, 275 mil is whats being said. we'll see what happens, but if this comes to fruition... we got the best player on the market, and didnt have to give up melky and ian kennedy to get him. and we got back the 21 mil, plus a couple mil extra, i dont see how the yankees come out looking bad.
    You wouldn't have had to give up Melky or Kennedy, and they're not going to get back the Rangers money so I don't see how they are going to look good. George is shitting his pants and his kids look like they are nothing like his father. Yankees going soft and back on their word looks horrible.

MLB ERA

I also think Arod is loyal to Boras, Boras has been his agent for over 10 years I believe.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You wouldn't have had to give up Melky or Kennedy, and they're not going to get back the Rangers money so I don't see how they are going to look good. George is shitting his pants and his kids look like they are nothing like his father. Yankees going soft and back on their word looks horrible.
    first, hank said that he wouldnt be a yankee unless he gave back the 21 mil subsidy. but i dont really care about that part anyway, i only really care about whether im happy or not, and im an arod fan so i want him back.

second though, we wouldnt have to give up melky and kennedy? well, maybe youre right... we'd have to give up HUGHES and melky for miguel cabrera, wouldnt you say? or would you expect the marlins to take tyler clippard and chase wright?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You didn't mention anything about Cabrera so you lost me on that but now I'm with you. At least Cabrera has a ring. Point is the Yankees would be spending more money and not getting any closer to the WS. Yankees offseason so far has been nothing but spending way too much money. Remember when the Yankkes won with guys like Charlie Hayes and Scott Brosius playing third? Yankees need to start going that route and stop spending money just to spend it. Have fun booing a $30 mil player!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast