Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

The '06 Cardinals were the best team last year because they beat the rest of the best. Its not like the Cardinals played the Nationals 19 games to be Champions. They played the best teams in each division.

I'll once again hope we can agree to disagree then. Obviously we are both approaching this from radically different perspectives which have their own separate qualifiers. I can never believe mediocrity = best. When Jeff Weaver of all people is one of your postseason rocks, I can not help but believe it was more fluke than ability.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

When the Cards get to two WS's in three years, its no fluke.

Turn 2

A-Rods an asshole. First he opts out of his contract before the 4th game of the World Series, then he becomes more money grubbing with a new contract with the Yankees. The Yankees are idiots as well for putting up with it.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    It didn't take me a second to know Cleveland was the better team this postseason and sure enough a 5 game series told it all.
    Who's to say that the Yankees wouldn't have won if it were a 7 game series? If the Indians/Red Sox series were 5 games, then the Sox would have been eliminated. All of the playoff series aren't equal. If MLB truly wants the best team to win, then they need to make the series equal.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Turn 2 View Post
    A-Rods an asshole. First he opts out of his contract before the 4th game of the World Series, then he becomes more money grubbing with a new contract with the Yankees. The Yankees are idiots as well for putting up with it.
    he may be an asshole. but he's a very rich and talented asshole.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Who's to say that the Yankees wouldn't have won if it were a 7 game series? If the Indians/Red Sox series were 5 games, then the Sox would have been eliminated. All of the playoff series aren't equal. If MLB truly wants the best team to win, then they need to make the series equal.
    having a 5 game playoff series in basketball never hurt the NBA (i actually preferred the 5 game sets instead of the now 7 in the 1st round).

if they wanted to make it a 7 game series in the first round, i would also want them to shorten the season back to 154 games.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Who's to say they would have won? If you are the best but can't beat a team in a 5 or 7 game series, you aren't the best. I can't believe this is a difficult concept. It doesn't matter what happened in the regular season anymore. If the Indians were the best, they would have eliminated the Sox at anytime but the Sox showed them who was the best. This theory that it's the team that is the hottest going in wins is just a theory and the stats show it isn't true. The Cards struggled last September but they got into the playoffs and it was a whole new ballgame.

MLB ERA

I didn't mention anything about the regular season. The Indians were ahead 3 - 1. If it were a 5 game series, it would have been over. Instead it was a 7 game series and the Sox won. Perhaps if it were a 9 game series, the Indians would have won. Who knows? The same can be said about the Indians/Yankees series. I can't believe this is a difficult concept. The series should all be of the same length. What's so hard to understand about that? If the best is going to win, then the structure should be level.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It's hard to grasp because you seem to think the best can't win a 5 games series. Who knows what would have happened if the Sox and Indians played in a five games series. Again and its so simple, if the "best" can't win a five game series then they aren't the best. The other team was better. Everyone is playing in the same structure so no one gets an advantage. Three seven game series is just too much but if it had to come to that then I agree with rockin that the season has to be shortened. The WS Champions are the best in baseball by definition and there isn' any debate about it but you guys can keep trying.

MLB ERA

yes, adding 2 playoffs games is just too much Yes, it's over because you say it is hilarious!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I said you could keep trying The definition of champion pretty much sums it up but keep thinking two games will somehow make the best the best.

MLB ERA

anything can happen in a short 5-game series. A 7-game series would at least hold the same statistical significance as the LCS and the WS. It's simple math really.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Anything can happen in a seven game series. Still doesn't take away from the fact the best teams wins.

MLB ERA

A 7-game series requires more depth and endurance...especially, with the pitching. a 5-game series is shorter and teams don't have to use as much of their depth (i.e. only have the 2 or 3 best starting pitchers go). a 7-game series victory is more of a team victory than a 5-game series since it will require more of the team to contribute.

If MLB got rid of all these off-days in the playoffs, it could easily make the opening round a 7-game series. There's no need for all of those off-days. Baseball is meant to be played pretty much every day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast