Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

Re: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    This team is no different than last year so far.
    And that team reached the playoffs. That team was the best team in baseball for the last 3/4 of the season. What is your point exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    So this all comes down to character and baggage? I didn't realize the malcontent Reggie Jackson brought down the Yankees in the late '70s. Nor did I realize whatever baggage A-Rod carries with him makes Jeter and Posada play worse.
    It's a distraction, plain and simple. Just like Manny and Curt Schilling and his mouth are to the Red Sox. Ahole is a bigger distraction though. Posada had a career last year, Jeter had just a typical year. When the post season roled around who was the center of attention for the Yankees? I don't think it was Jeter or Posada. Jeter and Posada are winners. If the Yankees had 7 or 8 guys like them I would be scared silly of the Yankees. Ahole is a "me first" player, the kind of cancer that just eats away at a team.

Reggie Jackson is a real bad comparison. The only thing he has in common with Ahole is that he liked to be in the spotlight. Your trying to compare Mr. October to Miss May!!!!!!! Even though Reggie was a hot dog, he was all about winning. Ahole just tries to act like he's about winning.

Let me ask you this... Let's assume the Yankees make the playoffs next year, which they probably will. Irregardless of what's happened in the regular season, what/who will be the talk of the Yankee's postseason before it even starts? Do you as a Yankee fan have any confidence in him that time of year? He's the single best individual baseball player in the game today, but he's shown time and time again that when the pressures on, he flops. Maybe he'll change that in time, but with every opportunity he has to overcome it and doesn't it becomes more and more unlikely that he will come through, cause the pressure just keeps getting greater and greater, and we all know that you Yankee fanatics are the single most demanding fan base in sports.

And that team reached the playoffs. That team was the best team in baseball for the last 3/4 of the season. What is your point exactly?

I guess I'm fine with that, so long as you Yankee fans are. But I don't want to hear Yankee fans whining next year about a $275 million man that flopped in the playoffs. I'd take the Yankees making the playoffs and being out in the first round every year for the rest of my life. The agony is that much worse when you get so close only to fail time and time again.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Same team, same result. No WS. That's why they fired Torre.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

The playoffs do not indicate the best team.
    Save Phil Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    It's a distraction, plain and simple. Just like Manny and Curt Schilling and his mouth are to the Red Sox. Ahole is a bigger distraction though. Posada had a career last year, Jeter had just a typical year. When the post season roled around who was the center of attention for the Yankees? I don't think it was Jeter or Posada. Jeter and Posada are winners. If the Yankees had 7 or 8 guys like them I would be scared silly of the Yankees. Ahole is a "me first" player, the kind of cancer that just eats away at a team.

Reggie Jackson is a real bad comparison. The only thing he has in common with Ahole is that he liked to be in the spotlight. Your trying to compare Mr. October to Miss May!!!!!!! Even though Reggie was a hot dog, he was all about winning. Ahole just tries to act like he's about winning.

Let me ask you this... Let's assume the Yankees make the playoffs next year, which they probably will. Irregardless of what's happened in the regular season, what/who will be the talk of the Yankee's postseason before it even starts? Do you as a Yankee fan have any confidence in him that time of year? He's the single best individual baseball player in the game today, but he's shown time and time again that when the pressures on, he flops. Maybe he'll change that in time, but with every opportunity he has to overcome it and doesn't it becomes more and more unlikely that he will come through, cause the pressure just keeps getting greater and greater, and we all know that you Yankee fanatics are the single most demanding fan base in sports.
    Reggie is a good comparison. He was a divisive issue in the clubhouse. He was a glory hog. He was a super star that outshone the Yankees Captain (Munson). Also of note, Reggie was absolutely horrific in the ALCS. He might have been a gamer in the World Series, but he his stat line looked like this in the ALCS: .227 BA, .298 OBP, .380 SLG. Jackson is pretty lucky the rest of the team was good enough to get to the series despite him, huh? Who is to say A-Rod couldn't find Jacksonian success in the Series if his team picked him up?

All I know about Alex is that he has been putting too much pressure on himself to succeed. But I also remember quite clearly how he dismantled the Twins in 2004, getting us to that ill-fated ALCS. Great players have bad postseasons. It happens. Eventually his talent will shine through.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by perforatededge54 View Post
    They determine the champion. I hate people that say that stupid shit. If the "better" team can't win, they weren't the better team.

Quote Originally Posted by perforatededge54 View Post
    If the playoffs don't indicate the best team, then it's safe to assume that you are saying the regular season does. That means last year Boston was the best team, afterall they led from start to finish!!!!!!! So in this case over the period of 162 games Boston was the best team, and through the playoffs Boston was the best team. So where are you trying to go with this?????????

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He's just reaching.

AA ERA

Even teams like the Royals and Marlins have winning streaks.

Nowhere did I say Boston wasn't the best team, however, I'm contending that there is no correlation between the Yankees losing in the first round in 2007 and them doing so again in 2008 solely based upon the performance of Alex Rodriguez.
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What the hell do the Royals and Marlins have to do with anything?

No one here has said anything is a result based solely on Arod. You aren't making a lot of sense.

AA ERA

The playoffs are a small sample size with which to judge the quality of a team, wouldn't you say?
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Not at all!!! Are you kidding me? These are the best of the best. If you can't win a 5 or 7 game series, you aren't the best. This is what we have to see who is the best. It didn't take me a second to know Cleveland was the better team this postseason and sure enough a 5 game series told it all. A team has 162 games to win a division or a WC, then it's a whole new season. If you think you're the best team, prove it!!

I disagree. I would say the playoffs are highly volatile and the best team does not always win. Certainly this year the best team did, but for instance, I think you would be hard pressed to really say the Colorado Rockies were really the best team in the NL this year. Or that the 2001 Yankees were really better than the 114-win Seattle Mariners. Or that the mediocre 2000 Yankees and 2006 Cardinals were really the best teams in baseball those respective years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why is it hard? They all the who thought they were the best making them better than the best. If the best can't win in a 7 games series, they aren't the best.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast