Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

well who did you think i was talking about? am i supposed to be gleed and want to run out and deal melky and kennedy for joe crede? look at me hopping for joy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You were talking about the best player on the market (Arod) and really don't know how intelligent you are so i had no clue what you meant. Again, you don't have to go out and get the best, you have yo go out and get the best fit. Arod is clearly not that guy. The Yankees did have one player hit 30 or more homeruns when they won 3 of 4 WS in the 90's. Yankees have lost/losing their way.

Boras has been Ahole's agent since he was 16. If Ahole was feeling the postseason pressure before, and hearing it from the fans, just imagine what it's going to be like now that he opted out and came crawling back like a snake. Seems to me like Boras went and talked to everybody, all the GM's laughed at their proposals and said they couldn't sign him unless he took less money than he was making with the Yankees. So now that they've found out they weren't going to get more, probably less they go crawling back to the only team stupid enough to overpay him. I for one am not suprised at all.

MLB ERA

I see a different picture.

ARod went through a third party who the Yankees had a ton of respect for, and said that Boras had been handling everything, ARod wanted to remain in Pinstripes.

ARod did this. If this were a ploy, who would try to ****ing sign him? He's going to come back, or wallow in his own shit.

As far as winning with guys like Charlie Hayes and Scott Brosius, let's name the rest of those teams:
    '96:
    C: Joe Girardi/Jim Leyritz
    1B: Tino Martinez/Cecil Fielder
    2B: Mariano Duncan
    3B: Charlie Hayes/Wade Boggs
    SS: Derek Jeter
    RF: Paul O'Neill
    LF: Gerald Williams/Tim Raines
    CF: Bernie Williams
    DH: Darryl Strawberry

and one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.

'98
    C: Jorge Posada
    1B: Tino Martinez
    2B: Chuck Knoblauch
    3B: Scott Brosius
    SS: Derek Jeter
    LF: Chad Curtis/Shane Spencer
    RF: Paul O'Neill
    CF: Bernie Williams
    DH: Tim Raines/Darryl Strawberry

and the best staff in baseball.

I don't see the issue here? Hayes didn't play most of the time at 3rd, Boggs did. Brosius had a few great years at the bottom of the best lineup in baseball.

I fail to see your point. They were not needed in the middle of the lineup. They did their job like ARod did his. That is all.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They were the right pieces to the puzzle. None of those teams had a guy hit over 30 homeruns. In 1999, their payroll was only $6 mil more than the second highest payroll. Now it is close to $250 if they resign Arod. Yes they had good pitching which is something the Yankees lost sight of. What did all those guys have in common? They played to win and not for themselves. They won with Hayes, Boggs, Duncan, Girardi and a ton of other players who weren't the best or most expensive but were perfect for that team. Guys like Sheffield and Arod are not those guys. Yankees got over their heads and are now paying for it, literally. Torre became a scape goat. You yourself said Boras was handling everything, why not now? What was the reason to fire Torre? Because they needed a change. Same should go for a more expensive Arod because they aren't winning with him. Plus I think other teams realized its not worth paralyzing their team by signing Arod. Now he's crawling back and the Yankees will still outbid themselves.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Alex Rodriguez will likely be guaranteed about $280 million over 10 years from the Yankees, with the chance to go over $300 million through incentives.
    Heyman says agent Scott Boras is in intense negotiations with the Yankees to complete the deal. We suppose anything is possible with these two parties involved, but it seems highly unlikely that a deal will fall through at this stage.
    Yep, it was all on the Yankees terms. They sure showed him Now get some ****ing bullpen help!

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Are you guys ****ing kidding me? Show some ******* backbone!! The Yankees made it very clear that they would not retain ARod's services if he opts and now pulled a 180. They would look stupid and cowardly and fans aren't going to let this down. Steinbrenner would look like even more of a joke. Boras is just using the Yankees. Yankees brass needs to stick by their word and get Cabrera or Scott Rolen instead of looking like fools and bring back ARod. ARod made it very clear he didn't want to be a Yankee when he opted out.
    Absolutely not. The sticking point was the money Texas was responsible for, ARod is only coming back w/ a deal that gives them the same dicsount Texas would have been paying and ARod has come crawling back. The Yankees do not look bad at all, they come out looking great. They made ARod crawl back and FINALLY stop thinking about just money and moreso about the right situation for him. he finally took control from Boras. he saw his image was taking a huge hit and he did something about it. We all know how I feel about ARod's octobers but I applaud ARod for what he is doing.

Will this team have any integrity left after this offseason???? Outbid themselves on another player if this happens.

Eh, we're a better team with A-Rod now and in the foreseeable future. No doubt that bringing him back makes this a team to be reckoned with next year. It takes some pressure off of the kids.

No doubt they are a better team with him than without him, at least statistically. I don't visualize him getting anymore support this time than he did last year, probably less. We'll see how much of distraction he becomes now that Torre is gone. It's well known that I think Torre is overrated, BUT this is one area where I give Torre the upmost respect and credit. The man was/is a master at keeping pressure of his players and at defusing tense situations. Who else could have tolerated the Steinbrenner's for 12 years? Ahole is a lot like Bonds in the aspect that he brings way more to the team than what he produces on the field, and it isn't positive!!!! For a man that seems to succumb to pressure he sure does a good job of adding more.

MLB ERA

I didn't know you thought Joe Torre was overrated.

So this all comes down to character and baggage? I didn't realize the malcontent Reggie Jackson brought down the Yankees in the late '70s. Nor did I realize whatever baggage A-Rod carries with him makes Jeter and Posada play worse.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Aren't you glad you know now though?
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Absolutely not. The sticking point was the money Texas was responsible for, ARod is only coming back w/ a deal that gives them the same dicsount Texas would have been paying and ARod has come crawling back. The Yankees do not look bad at all, they come out looking great. They made ARod crawl back and FINALLY stop thinking about just money and moreso about the right situation for him. he finally took control from Boras. he saw his image was taking a huge hit and he did something about it. We all know how I feel about ARod's octobers but I applaud ARod for what he is doing.
    What discount? No other team was willing to pay for him but somehow the Yankees are getting a discount? He is going to be making his $300 mil and outbidding themselves for Arod. Yes the Yankees look terrible for going back on his word and now will be paying more for Arod than they were. If Arod wanted to go where he best fits a team, it would not be the Yankees and every knows that. He took control from Boras No one was willing to pay that much money, NO ONE!! Applaud him now and then boo him in October like every Yankee fan does. Have fun with the exact same lineup.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    Eh, we're a better team with A-Rod now and in the foreseeable future. No doubt that bringing him back makes this a team to be reckoned with next year. It takes some pressure off of the kids.
    This team is no different than last year so far.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast