Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees resign Posada, 4 years 52 mil

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

Re: Yankees resign Posada, 4 years 52 mil

Three-year, $45 million offer to Rivera. Four-year. $52 million contract to Posada. Wow.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Looks like the Yanks have learned nothing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post

I'll second that!!!!!!!! Unfortunately with their tremendous revenue they don't seem to pay the price like other teams. They just continue to overpay these guys only to pay someone else to take them later or they just give up on them and push them aside.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Too bad the World Champs have his number and will continue to do so for 3/4 more years.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Keeping Rivera means the Yankees won't have to waste Joba Chamberlain in the bullpen, like the Phillies wasted Brett Myers just because they didn't have anyone else who throws gas to pitch in the 9th inning.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

You're absolutely right! They should have let both go and started Jose Molina at catcher and Edwar Ramirez at setup man!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Waste Chamberlain? How would having a closer making peanuts be a waste? Papelbon wasn't a waste. Myers had a lot to do with the Phillies making the playoffs.
    You're absolutely right! They should have let both go and started Jose Molina at catcher and Edwar Ramirez at setup man!
    Yes because there were no other catchers who won't be DH's in two years hitting 15 HRs and 75 RBI. Chamberlain can fill Rivera's role for years to come without a big price tag. Just because the Yankee have money doesn't mean they can't be smart about it. The Yankees 90's dynasty told me that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Waste Chamberlain? How would having a closer making peanuts be a waste? Papelbon wasn't a waste. Myers had a lot to do with the Phillies making the playoffs.
    It's a waste when you take away the potential of a great starting pitcher making peanuts, and especially in the Yankees' situation in which Clemens and Pettitte are likely gone.

Resigning Rivera was probably necessary, I just think they overpaid the man. Nobody else would give him $45 million, no way. The Posada signing was just stupid due to the length of the contract as well as the amount. With the lineup they have they would have been better off with a 2 or 3 year deal to Torrealba or somebody else (maybe LoDuca) that wasn't going to be relegated DH at the end of the contract. Torrealba or LoDuca would have probably cost them a little over half of what they paid Posada.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    It's a waste when you take away the potential of a great starting pitcher making peanuts, and especially in the Yankees' situation in which Clemens and Pettitte are likely gone.
    Why go with potential when you already know what he can do. Chamberlain might not respond well to going back to starter. They still have Kennedy and Hughes and I really don't expect good full years out of them. Its not a waste either way. And who gives a shit about Clemens at this point. Clemens last year was the waste!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Why go with potential when you already know what he can do. Chamberlain might not respond well to going back to starter.
    Why go with potential? Because Cardinals didn't do that with Dan Haren, and consider that Kip Wells anchored their rotation this past season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Red Sox went on what they knew and disregarded potential and they won a WS with Papelbon, something the Yankees fired Joe Torre for not doing. Tons of teams have made bad trades, this is not one. You as a Dodger fan knows potential isn't shit with the likes of Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller. Oh yeah, Wells didn't anchor shit!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

You have to give Joba a chance at SP...obviously he may not have that intensity for a whole game, but he's succeeded greatly as a SP in the minors. I'll take Joba at SP and Mo at CL over Joba at CL and who knows at SP any day!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well I just hope you are glad losing again with another $250 mil payroll.

MLB ERA

Yankees payroll-$189,639,045

Nice try though reefer.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast