Thread: Twins want Cano for Santana?

MLB ERA

Twins want Cano for Santana?

Johan Santana is not yet officially on the trade market, but that seems to be an inevitability. What isn't inevitable is that Santana, now property of the Twins, will begin his 2008 season somewhere besides the Metrodome.

The gap between an available Santana and a traded Santana figures to be steep, and that means high asking prices for all suitors - including the Yankees, who have targeted the two-time Cy Young Award winner.

In return for Santana, the Twins likely will ask for a package centered on second baseman Robinson Cano, a person familiar with Minnesota's operations said yesterday.
    I'm torn on this one, I mean the pitching rotation is the biggest problem right now but Cano is a great player. Giving up Cano would be huge but now that Pettitte turned down the offer for him to come back we need more pitchers. Of course Andy could re-sign but the probably of him doing that went down.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Re: Twins want Cano for Santana?

Robinson Cano is a very good second baseman.

Johan Santana is probably the best pitcher in baseball.

If the Twins asked for Cano and a prospect not named Hughes or Chamberlain, you have to seriously consider it.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

Maybe we would be willing to part with Jose Tabata, the Twins could be losing Hunter and they are going to need a new OF so I wouldn't be suprised if they asked for him. Altough he plays the corner positions he could possibly move to the center.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Phillips, Chamberlain or Kennedy would have to go with Cano to the Twins for Santana. The Twins aren't going to trade the best pitcher and not get pitching back in return.

MLB ERA

They already have a whole bunch of pitching...Their main priorty is the offense.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm just saying you don't get rid of the best pitcher in base ball and get no pitching in return. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't want to trade Cano for anyone.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Santana is probably going to decline awfully soon anyway. Not that I wouldn't love to have him but if we end up giving him a 6-7 year contract, we're going to regret it.
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Decline soon? Why? He's 28 and coming into his prime.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    I don't want to trade Cano for anyone.
    Not even for arguably the best pitcher in baseball?

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

AAA ERA

I give up Cano if one of the big 3 are not involved but no way do I give up one of the Big 3 and Cano.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    Not even for arguably the best pitcher in baseball?
    The relative cost of losing Cano - in the same offseason we lose A-Rod - would be too much. Plus it wouldn't just be Cano. We'd also lose one of our top pitching prospects and most likely Tabata/Jackson as well... guys that could be ready to step into roles in the Bronx by the opening of the new Stadium. I fail to see how that improves the team. Plus, inking Santana to an extension would probably cost $20 mil/year at least. So now we are looking at paying Santana $20 million a year, some FA second baseman more money than what Cano would make, and have lost valuable chips to the future... not to mention probably signing a FA OF for another $10-something million. If Andy was definitely coming back, the deal might make some sense. The rotation would be amazing with Wang, Santana, and Pettitte. The loss of offense from second and third base might not be so glaring. If Andy retires, the rotation is merely good, and the loss of Cano and A-Rod would hurt, a lot.

I understand the Yankees have the cash to do this, but it doesn't make it smart. I'd rather have Tabata or Jackson roaming RF for the Yanks in 2009 at league minimum than someone making $10+ million.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins want Cano for Santana?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    They already have a whole bunch of pitching...Their main priorty is the offense.

A little incite to the Twins needs. If Santana is traded to the Evil Empire, Cano would be the first piece we ask for. Then Hughes, only because Liriano is coming back from Tommy John surgery. Finally we would want the outfield spec that was talked about a post or two up.

I for one don't want Santana in the American League. I sure as hell don't want him in pinstripes. I would expect a couple other teams to make a strong push for Santana, Dodgers,Mets,Braves just to name three NL teams. Braves being the sleeper team in it.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Santana in pinstripes is a nightmare for me and any other Red Sox Fan. Cano's a good player, but him at the plate doesn't scare me even close to as much as 20 starts by Santana with their lineup, even if it does lack Cano and ARod!!!!!!!! I'd just as soon see him in the National League.