Thread: Why the Sox aren't the new Yankees

MLB ERA

Why the Sox aren't the new Yankees

**Warning this is my first article so don't bash on me to much**
    But please feel free to give me constructive critizm I would love that butd please don't rag on me to much

With the Red Sox winning their second World Series in the past four seasons it has grabbed alot of peoples attention and brought up the intriguing question, are the Boston Red Sox the new New York Yankees? Some people can say yes to this question but other people like me say no. Here are some reasons why they are not the Yankees.

The Yankees won the World Series in '96 with a roster that had,

C-Joe Girardi Age-31
    1B-Tino Martinez Age-28
    2B-Mariano Duncan Age-33
    3B-Wade Boggs Age-38
    SS-Derek Jeter Age-22
    LF-Gerald Williams Age-29
    CF-Bernie Williams Age-27
    RF-Paul O'Neill Age-33
    DH-Ruben Sierra Age-30

With the exception of Boggs this is a fairly young team, the average age for this team is, 30 years old. This was just the beginning of an era. The '98 team was even better going 114-48. The '98 roster consisted of,

C Jorge Posada Age-26
    1B Tino Martinez Age-30
    2B Chuck Knoblauch Age-29
    3B Scott Brosius Age-31
    SS Derek Jeter Age-24
    LF Chad Curtis Age-29
    CF Bernie Williams Age-29
    RF Paul O'Neill Age-35
    DH Darryl Strawberry Age-36

This team was a team that could just mow through their opponents. The average age of this team is, 29 years old. This is the year that really started to get this dynasty started and got every one realizing that they were going to be a dynasty. The Sox '07 team that people are trying to say are the new New York Yankees average age is, 30 years old. Now I know that this isn't much of an age difference but lets take a look at the pitching rotations,

Yankees '98 Rotation
    1-Andy Pettitte Age-26
    2-David Cone Age-35
    3-David Wells Age-35
    4-Hideki Irabu Age-29
    5-Orlando Hernandez Age-32

Average age-31

Red Sox '07 Rotation
    1-Josh Beckett Age-26
    2-Curt Schilling Age-40
    3-Daisuke Matsuzaka Age-27
    4-Tim Wakefield Age-40
    5-Jon Lester Age-23

Average Age-31

Now the average ages are the same but rumors a flying around that Schilling will be gone and an article came out today saying that Wakefield will be back but he is injury prone so he could miss a chunk of the season. Schilling, one of their best pitchers could be gone so that could very well give them a road block in their way.

I know all I am talking about is their ages but I think that that is a valid point, the Yankees were a younger squad then this Sox team. The Yankees won 4 World Series in 5 years while the Red Sox have won 2 in four years. That right there should be a good enough point to say that the Sox are not the Yankees.

The Redsox have players on that team now that might not come back and that could be a problem such as, Mike Lowell, Curt Schilling, and Manny Ramirez. The Red Sox have the money though that they could go and get a player to fill that void. I still think though that The Sox need to win more then two World Series before we can call them a "dynasty." The Yankees won 4 in five years so if the Sox can win another two in the next two years then maybe I will call them the new New York Yankees but untill then they are just the Boston Red Sox that are world champions.

I don't feel like I wrote such a great article here and I feel like I could have done better but I was short on time seeing as how I have to go do some big errans. Please feel free to give me constructive critizm and help me become a better writer.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

AA ERA

Re: Why the Sox aren't the new Yankees

I don't think many people are comparing the Red Sox 2 WS to the Yankees 4 that they won in five years. Most are saying the Red Sox have the potential to do the same thing the Yankees did during their World Series victories. Which I have to say is certainly a possibility but will be a difficult task to accomplish.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Certainly is possible at that. The only issue I really see with the Sox is a catcher who is in continual decline, with no viable option to replace him... that and Julio Lugo.

Signing Varitek to that long contract was a mistake, the Red Sox bid against themselves on that one. His value to the Red Sox was about 5 times his value to any other team. Another shitty contract handed out to a Boras client. Varitek's skills have diminished each year since the signing of that contract, and I don't think he calls nearly as good a game as he used to. The Sox could combat it to some effect by giving up on Mirabelli and getting a more offensive capable backup. You Yankees fans may get to experience the same thing this year with Posada!!!!!
    I'm not a big fan of Lugo, I wish we still had Renteria, but Lugo is a capable shortstop. SS is a position that isn't nearly as strong as it was a few years back. Lugo is somewhere in the middle of ML shortstops IMO. I feel our biggest concern besides Varitek is replacing Manny's bat after next season. It will be a welcome change to no longer see him stumbling around out in left, but it's going to hurt real bad offensively losing his bat. Btw, I DON'T WANT AROD TO TRY AND REPLACE HIS OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!