View Poll Results: Who should be the starting third baseman for the 2008 Yankees?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mike Lowell

2 20.00%
  • Miguel Cabrera

4 40.00%
  • Wilson Betemit

2 20.00%
  • Andy Phillips

1 10.00%
  • Other (please specify)

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Base

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Third Base

I'm all for bringing in Lowell under one condition - it's only a 2-year deal. The 4-year contract for Damon doesn't like too good right now that it seems we have just a DH on our hands. I don't want the same thing to happen to Lowell but would definitely take a 2-year contract to sign him. People will say he is a product of Fenway Park, and while his home numbers are much better than his road numbers, I wouldn't be mad if he doesn't put up the same offensive production as last year. I would be fine with a .280, 20 HR season and good defense over at third. He also had a lot of big hits in the postseason. I'm all for signing Lowell.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Third Base

marcos vechionacci !

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I went with Cabera if they can get him. My reasoning is just because in is so much younger than Lowell. But I would not be at all surprised if it is Lowell next year though.

But Giardi has already managed Cabera and probably leans in his favor for that reason also.

Browntown,
    If he accepts a 2 year deal it will be with the Red Sox. They've already said they are prepared to offer him a lucrative 2 year deal. I expect they will give in and offer him a 3rd year if that is what it takes. If the Yankees want him they will have to overpay for him, just like they did with Damon. I just hope the Red Sox don't get into a bidding war with the Yankees and overpay him themselves.

Btw, I voted for Cabrera. He's by far the best choice of those listed by far if the Yankees could get him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

You guys are already frontrunners for Cabrera. New owners or not, when the Yankees want something, they get it. Cha Ching!

The vacancy at third base for the New York Yankees could pave the path for trade discussions with the Marlins involving third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who is gradually pricing himself out of Florida's moderate budget.
    Cabrera is expected to receive in the neighborhood of $11 million next season through arbitration and is eligible for free agency after the 2009 season. The third baseman's fielding woes might give the Yankees cause for concern. But they could also move him to first base or use him as a designated hitter.
    If the Marlins trade Cabrera, the asking price will be steep. They would almost certainly demand top, young prospects in return for an All-Star hitter on a Hall of Fame career trajectory. One possible trade piece could be Melky Cabrera, the Yankees 23-year-old center fielder.
    But the Marlins would likely want pitching help thrown into any trade involving Miguel Cabrera, who has averaged 31 home runs, 116 RBI and a .327 batting average over the past three seasons.
    Link

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

i love miguel even though hes a fatty and will probably continue to become an even bigger fatty... but not for hughes and cano. not for hughes and anyone... kennedy and melky is perfectly acceptable by me, but why would florida take that? kennedy is nice, but melky is only a solid ball player, not like hes ever gonna be an all star or anything.

Cabrera is tricky. Would he come close to replacing A-Rod's average production here? Probably. Are we really improving our team though?

Consider:

Hughes, Joba, Ian... at least two of them will be in our starting rotation next year, and it is possible that all three of them will be. Adding Cabrera will probably mean losing two of those guys if we really want to get this deal done. I can't see a team trading a superstar coming into his prime for anything less, especially because there will be other bidders out there.

I don't know guys. He is a fantastic player and would solve our RHB issue, but I think less might be more in this case. Get Crede and his great glove at 3B while giving up considerably less talent. That would be my suggestion. He packs a little pop, and once again, we'd save more of our prospects from the trading block.

I think we might be able to get Crede off the Sox for Kennedy, who has the lowest ceiling of those guys. Maybe even Alan Horne and a PTBNL. We just need to hold on to Hughes and Joba.

MLB ERA

I didn't vote for Cabrera because he's gonna cost too much. Actually I forget about Joe Crede. I would definitely be happy to get him too.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Miguel Cabrera for Melky Cabrera? I laugh at that. Melky Cabrera was good enough bait to acquire just Eric Gagne.

Actually, Kennedy might be too much for a guy coming off back surgery. Still, I'd like to see a player of that nature at 3B next season. A righty with a great glove and some pop.

MLB ERA

Andy Phillips.

Look at his numbers in the pressure of last year, at 1B.

He's more than a viable option, just like Bubba was pre-Damon.

Sadly, this will probably go the same route.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Personally, Crede is a questionable gamble because of that back surgery. Plus, I dont think he could handle the NY pressure from the fans and the media. He stuggled with that in Chicago with the exception of 2005.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    Andy Phillips.

Look at his numbers in the pressure of last year, at 1B.

He's more than a viable option, just like Bubba was pre-Damon.

Sadly, this will probably go the same route.
    Keep Phillips at 1B, he's an excellent defender there.

MLB ERA

If the Yankees keep Mientkiewicz, they are covered defensively at 1B. Phillips could be an option at 3B.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Keep Phillips at 1B, he's an excellent defender there.
    I agree...but Giambi, Douglas Fresh and Shelley all need time there...just easier to let him play 3rd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast