Thread: Rivera meets with Yankees

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rivera meets with Yankees

A deal to bring Mariano Rivera back to the Bronx may be in the works, as the All-Star closer and his agent are meeting with the Yankees today at Legends Field.

Fernando Cuza, who represents Rivera, showed up at the Yankees' spring ballpark around 11:45 a.m., accompanied by two of his associates. Ten minutes later, Rivera arrived by himself in a black Mercedes.

When asked if he was meeting with the Yankees, Rivera said, "Yeah. We have to see something." Rivera declined further comment, telling reporters he would elaborate on his way out of the ballpark.

Rivera was one of five Yankees to file for free agency on Monday, the first day players were allowed to do so. The Yankees are expected to offer Rivera a three-year deal worth approximately $40 million.

Team president Randy Levine arrived at Legends Field at 10 a.m., while general manager Brian Cashman pulled up to the ballpark shortly before 11 a.m.

Cashman said he arrived in Tampa on Monday night, and he came to Legends Field in a taxi with his luggage, a sign that he plans to return to New York later today.

Cashman wouldn't comment on the negotiations with Joe Girardi, but it is believed that the Yankees and Girardi have agreed to terms that would make Girardi the team's new manager.
    Good news...I can't see Mo in any other uniform. That is just an absurd amount of money for a closer but I just want him back as soon as possible. Whatever it takes to have one of the most consistent closers in baseball back in the pen.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA

Re: Rivera meets with Yankees

I don't think you have anything to worry about, the Yankees will surely pay him want he wants in order to keep him long enough to retire a Yankee. I believe both him and Posada will be back next season.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

AAA ERA

I don't care the amount, he's been underpaid(by baseball standards) for a long time so if they overpay now he's earned it for everything he's done.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I agree nyjunc. He is due, the Yankees have the money, sounds fair to me.