Thread: Reports: Joe Girardi to be next manager

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Reports: Joe Girardi to be next manager

Per Buster Olney of ESPN and the NY Daily News.

This could either be very good or horribly wrong if Girardi clashes with ownership again. He has the experience though. I would have been good with Mattingly but I guess I'm OK with Girardi too. We do need an official announcement though.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Reports: Joe Girardi to be next manager

I wouldn't mind seeing Joe take this job over. He knows how to handle a young pitching staff and thats exactly what this team has. The young pitchers need some one to mold them into the game. Girardi would be the man to do that so I wouldn't mind seeing him step into this position.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

If he can't get along with Brian Cashman, I don't know who he could get along with.

I heard the Marlins GM was against the hire in the first place, so then when the Marlins started cutting and trading away their players, it is understandable why Joe fell out with Florida's FO. At least, that's what I'm hoping...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If the Yankees get knocked out of the first round again, Cashman will be gone.

MLB ERA

Joe Girardi has been in New York and can handle the pressure, IMO. This would be a very good move for the team.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I am disappointed, cause I wanted him as the next Brewers' manager.

Not surprised in this move!!!

What happens with Mattingly now?

AA ERA

It's being reported on ESPN right now that Mattingly has expressed to the Yankees organization that he is not interested in a coaching position on the team next season and extended congradulations to Girardi on becomming the Yankees new manager.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Mattingly the unwanted guy again.

He deserves better, and I am sure that if he truly allows himself, he will get another job soon.

Maybe even comeback and make the Yankees regret their decision, who knows.

According to reports, Grady Little is out in LA and Torre is in. Mattingly will probably join him there.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Reports: Joe Girardi to be next manager

I heard that about Torre also and never thought of that about Mattingly going there.

Good point, nice job!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

i love donnie baseball... fact remains he never won a thing in his life, he went to the playoffs once in his career, and that was the final year of his career, before we went on to win 4 world series in 5 years. personally, i wanted tony pena, but girardi was my second choice. my only reservations about girardi were how guys like jeter and pettitte and posada and anyone else that played with him, would be how they respected him and played for him and what not. girardi is the type of manager i want though, a fire em up, get in their face when theyre garbage type of manager. i dont want that dossile joe torre type anymore, ive had enough of it. we'll see what happens, but im happy with girardi. and since tony pena has said he loves being a yankee, i hope girardi will pick him to be his bench coach.

edit: just read veovis post... good for joe and good for donnie, i look forward to how they do in la.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Cant see Pena and Giardi being on the same staff for some reason. It seem like they would not click, but that is just me.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Joe will do a great job in New York. I like the move. He did a great job in Florida and was fired for no good reason. The only issue I see is there wont be Arod and other on the 08 Yankees.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AAA ERA

Great news, what a great day. we find out Arod is finally gone and Girardi is going to be taking over.

MLB ERA

Nice...not the Torre to LA though.