Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARod -- Will He Be Back In Pinstripes?

MLB ERA

ARod -- Will He Be Back In Pinstripes?

The Yankees will reportedly offer him a record contract. Here is a story: Olney: Yankees To Offer A-Rod Record Deal - FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog
    Comments?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

AAA ERA

Re: ARod -- Will He Be Back In Pinstripes?

It's amazing how this guy lread the highest paid player in the game will get a raise despite is awful play when we need him most. 1 great reg season in 4 years gets this guys a raise compared w/ 1 good season and 2 mediocre seasons w/ 3 awful postseasons and 1 decent one. And he wonders why he's always under the microscope.

MLB ERA

Yankees wouldn't be in the playoffs if it wasn't for him, and he did ok in the playoffs, but it just amazes me how some Yankee fans will give Arod so much ****ing crap, and give Jeter a free pass, when he did piss poor in the playoffs with his 20m salary. But then again with that mentality I wouldn't want Arod to play in NY by being treated unfairly, so **** it, go to another team and Arod can go back to his normal position SS, which he is 10X better than Jeter anyways.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    Yankees wouldn't be in the playoffs if it wasn't for him, and he did ok in the playoffs, but it just amazes me how some Yankee fans will give Arod so much ****ing crap, and give Jeter a free pass, when he did piss poor in the playoffs with his 20m salary. But then again with that mentality I wouldn't want Arod to play in NY by being treated unfairly, so **** it, go to another team and Arod can go back to his normal position SS, which he is 10X better than Jeter anyways.
    "he did ok in the playoffs? he had ONE RBI! that's great compared to his zero for the previous 15 postseason games but it's still just 1 RBI. Jeter gets a pass for his poor postseason b/c it was an aberration. jeter was awful this postseason but it's arare event, it's not an annual event like it is for ARod.

You are used to a losing team that just enjoys watching your star player hit meaningless Hrs but we don't like that here- we want to win Championships. You guys can have him if you want him, he'll thrive out there w/o the pressure of ever having to play in october.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    "he did ok in the playoffs? he had ONE RBI! that's great compared to his zero for the previous 15 postseason games but it's still just 1 RBI. Jeter gets a pass for his poor postseason b/c it was an aberration. jeter was awful this postseason but it's arare event, it's not an annual event like it is for ARod.

You are used to a losing team that just enjoys watching your star player hit meaningless Hrs but we don't like that here- we want to win Championships. You guys can have him if you want him, he'll thrive out there w/o the pressure of ever having to play in october.
    I know how much you know about baseball.

Annual event? Do your ****ing research, he has had only 2 bad postseasons. 05-06
    97- .313 BA, HR, 2b, rbi 5 games
    00- .371 BA, 2hr, 2 2B, 7rbi 9 games
    04- .400 BA, 4hr, 5 2b, 8rbi 11 games
    07-.267 BA, 1HR, 1 rbi in 4 games

Yeah ok he doesn't come through in October.

While Jeter
    98- BA .235
    01-BA .225
    03 ALCS- BA .233
    04 ALCS- BA .200
    07- .176 BA

And Jeter has had more bad postseasons than Arod.

Jeter has a long, long history of coming through in the postseason, probably a better history than any player ever, so he just had one bad postseason. In comparison, Arod has a long history of postseason flops, he just had one adequate postseason (probably poor, but we'll call it adequate in comparison to his past postseasons). Now are we going to look at a whole career to judge the two players or are we going to look at just this postseason? Sorry there's no comparison.

As far as the contract and money, the last few years the highest payed players are getting around $15 mil/ year. We are talking about around $30 mil/ year for Arod. Do you really feel he'll put up more production than say Torii Hunter and Mike Lowell (just an example)? I'm pretty sure the Yankees could get those two for less than $30 million/year. I don't think he'll out produce them. Furthermore, these guys are better team players than ARod. There are other free agents out there that I think $30 million could be spent more wisely on, those two were just an example. $30 million dollars worth of quality pitching would make the Yankees tough, real tough, with or without ARod.

All this being said though, I do agree with one part of your post Giants; He should be someplace where he can play shortstop. A player as talented as ARod should be at his natural position, not being shoved aside because of a "team favorite". And I'll take some heat for this I'm sure... Arod is a better defensive shortstop than Jeter. Arod is probably the best defensive SS in the game, IMO.

Jeter

Career OPS .850
    Postseason OPS .846

A-Rod

Career OPS .967
    Postseason OPS .844

David Ortiz

Career OPS .943
    Postseason OPS 1.007

That's probably why. While Jeter plays to his career norms in the playoffs, A-Rod is measurably worse. Further, David Ortiz, who he is constantly compared to, being the big hitter for our rival, is better in the playoffs. Hence the frustration. Personally, I like A-Rod, but I just wanted to play devil's advocate for you GiantsFan83.

Edit:

Lance, A-Rod was a great shortstop, but that was four years ago. By now he'd probably be better off at 3rd anyway. As you insinuated, we have two guys that are ex-shortstops on this team. The problem with that is one doesn't realize it yet. ;-)

MLB ERA

Lance- How exactly does Arod have a "Long History of postseason flops"? I just posted that he has had only two bad postseasons.

While Jeter has had 3 bad postseasons and 2 bad ALCS.

Veovis- So your going to use OPS for your case comparing Jeter and Ortiz who walk allot, to Arod who doesn't walk?

I already stated my point, Jeter has been more inconsistant than Arod in the playoffs, but go ahead still give Arod all the crap and give Jeter a free pass.

MLB ERA

Some people are never satisfied with performances. You are only as good as your last game, or in this case, your last post-season.
    Jeter gets a pass because he is the face of the Yankees and will fly into the stands to make a catch. ARod would likely not do that, or at least that is the perception.
    As to ARod going back to SS, I don't see that happening. He has gotten too big and bulky to have enough range to play there anymore.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    Do you really feel he'll put up more production than say Torii Hunter and Mike Lowell (just an example)?
    Yes, especially when Lowell turns 34-35. It wasn't that long ago that Lowell was thought of simply as a poison pill provision in the Josh Beckett trade.

MLB ERA

Derek Jeter Postseason Stats:

.309 AVG with a .377 OBP, 49 RBI's and 16 SB.

Alex Rodriguez Postseason Stats:

.279 AVG, with a .373 OBP, and 17 RBI's, and 4 SB.

Jeter has had some bad postseasons there is no doubt about that but the stats prove that A-rod absolutly sucks in the playoffs. Jeter on the other hand has had 2 or 3 bad post seasons while A-rod has not had one good one.

And GF83 Jeter is the golden boy in NY. Nobody hates him, he can't do anything wrong. He has already won 4 WS for that town. Yes he has had some bad post seasons but he has already gotten the job done so he doesn't need to catch as much flak as A-rod. Sure he deserves to catch some flak but not as much as you think he should be getting.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

BF- I already posted Arod's postseason numbers, he has had only 2 bad postseason, before saying "Arod absolutly sucks in the playoffs" why dont you look at his numbers in his other playoffs appearences? Dont just label him as someone who sucks in the playoffs when he only had 2 bad postseasons.

And yes I understand that Jeter won 4 WS, 7+ years ago, but it wasn't Jeter who won those WS, it was the Yankees. So the failure of the Yankees in the recent playoffs should pin point and single out Arod, its the Yankees who failed in the playoffs, not just Arod, thats what I'm trying to say here.

I don't think anyone totally disagrees with your point GF83. But, A-Rod has struggled in the playoffs, at least with the Yankees. OPS is probably the best way to measure a hitter, and as I showed, A-Rod's OPS is significantly worse in the playoffs than in the regular season. It isn't bad, but there is still over a 100 point drop.

You stated he doesn't walk a lot so using OPS isn't fair, which just isn't the case. Over 11 full seasons, A-Rod has averaged over 82 walks per season. Jeter, who gets more at bats because he hits lower in the order, walks about 69 times per season. Considering that, OPS is still a fair judge of their respective productions in the postseason.

But again, I don't think you'll find many Yankees fans who wouldn't want him back. I know I do. He's the best player in the game.

MLB ERA

Fair enough Veovis.

There's no doubt in my mind he's the best player in the game. Right now it's tough to make an arguement for any one else. If anybody is worth $30 million he is, my point is nobody is worth that much!!!!!! They are all over paid, but paying him $30 million is way overpaying in relation to other players salaries. That's all I'm getting at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast