Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joba To Start The Spring As Starter

MLB ERA

Joba To Start The Spring As Starter

Joba Chamberlain has the information he asked for, and the Yankees hope that he'll answer a question at the front of the 2008 rotation.

Chamberlain, who made a splash as a dominant setup man down the stretch of the 2007 season, will open Spring Training as a starter, club senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner has confirmed.

Speaking with the Associated Press outside Legends Field late on Friday, Steinbrenner said that no decisions have yet been made regarding manager Joe Torre's status for 2008, with organizational meetings scheduled for Tuesday in Tampa, Fla.

"The only thing that's been decided, [the one thing] that we all agree on, is that Chamberlain and [Phillip] Hughes start out Spring Training as starters," Steinbrenner said.

Chamberlain, 22, provided a needed spark after being converted from a starter in the Minors into a big league-ready reliever. Jumping all the way from Class A Tampa in his first full professional season, Chamberlain was 2-0 with a 0.38 ERA and one save in 19 relief appearances with New York.

Speaking this week as he cleaned out his Yankee Stadium locker, Chamberlain said he would prefer to know his future assignment as soon as possible.

"The earlier the better, just because of the mindset," Chamberlain said. "It's a big part of this game, so I can have an idea of what's going to happen when I get there. Physically, I'm not going to prepare any different, but mentally, I can prepare for what's going to happen and how I'm going to approach everything."
    The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: New York Yankees News

Hm, well I never saw this coming. This will be interesting though, its always fun to watch this kid throw. If he did become a full time starter that would help this club out alot. The rotation is going to be a big question mark next season. We know that for a fact two pitchers will be back in that rotation but the other three are big question marks. I like this move though, I'm excited to see Joba throw more. Him Hughes and Wang will be quite the combination.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Joba To Start The Spring As Starter

Here is a question for Yankee fans.

What is the Yankees' plans for a closer either next year or on the very near future? The way Joba throws, I thought he may relish that role.

Inquiring mind here would like to know.

MLB ERA

Re: Joba To Start The Spring As Starter

I thought he would take the role over too and I still think he will. Keep in mind that the article says that he will start the spring as a starter not the season. The rotation is a big hole but the pen is also a big problem. If Mo walks then I think they will send Joba back out to the pen because right now he is the logical choice for it. I'm sure they could always go trade for some one like always but I think they should send Joba back out there. The Yankees have alot of problems right now so who knows, he could go back to being a starter but I think he'll stay as a reliever.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

cool. thank for the information. I will have to remember to watch for that next spring.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

People thought Papelbon was going to be a starter this year. I think they let Rivera go and keep Chamberlain in the closer's role.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

That is what I was thinking too, reefer. He is a lot cheaper than Rivera too!!

MLB ERA

You think if Hughes and Rasner have a solid spring, and so does Joba, and the Yanks dont sign Rivera, that they might move Joba as a closer? Your rotation could be Wang, Mussina, Hughes, Rasner, and someone else? Does that seem logical?

MLB ERA

No here is what its going to be...

Wang,Hughes,Pettitte,Kennedy,?

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

That is if Pettitte comes back. Isn't he considering retirement, or is he going to play the Clemens game?

MLB ERA

I'm assuming he comes back but I don't think he will....hopefully he does.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Then yes, Pettitte would most certainly be in the rotation if he comes back! I still like Pettitte, I think he is one of the greatest big game pitchers there is going. Braves fans, dont get offended, I know Smoltz is in that category too!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

No way in hell Darrell Rasner is in our rotation.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Well if Hughes can make it, then I dont see why Rasner cant.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Hughes = top pitching prospect in baseball
    Rasner = mediocre
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

So? Just because he's a "top pitching prospect" doesn't mean your rewarded a SP spot.
    Hughe's ERA is 4.46, Rasner's 4.01. And I'm not saying reward Rasner a SP, if read what I wrote I said if Rasner and Hughes have a good springs they could make it on the Yankees SP rotation. If they both struggle then send them back to AAA or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast