Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss speaks out

Boss speaks out

The Boss to Torre: Win or else

Sunday, October 7, 2007

By IAN O'CONNOR
    STAFF WRITER

Joe Torre's 12-year run as manager of the Yankees will likely end if his team does not rally to beat the Cleveland Indians in the AL Division Series, George Steinbrenner told The Record on Saturday night.

"His job is on the line," the Yankees' owner said in a phone interview. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

Torre is in the final year of a contract worth $7 million this season. He has led his team to four World Series titles and 12 consecutive playoff appearances and was universally hailed this year for weathering a 21-29 start.

"He's been good for us over the years," Steinbrenner acknowledged.

But down 0-2 in the best-of-five series with Cleveland entering tonight's Game 3 at Yankee Stadium, and facing the prospect of a first-round postseason exit for the third consecutive year, Steinbrenner -- who nearly fired Torre after last year's Division Series loss to Detroit – is running dangerously low on patience. Earlier Saturday, at a Stadium news conference, Torre had said, "We certainly need to find out what we're made of. ..."

"I think that's a good statement," Steinbrenner said. "They'd better show what they're made of."

Once known for his blustery, omnipresent approach, the 77-year-old Steinbrenner has been an increasingly distant figure in Yankeedom, inspiring speculation about his health. He has stayed away from the Stadium and reduced most of his public comments to pre-packaged statements released through his spokesman, Howard Rubenstein.

But with his team teetering on the brink of a knockout, the old Steinbrenner came out swinging on Saturday night, putting Torre on immediate notice and ripping into umpire Bruce Froemming, the veteran crew chief from Friday night's Game 2 who declined to stop play despite an infestation of Lake Erie gnats.

"The umpire was full of [expletive]," Steinbrenner said of the retiring Froemming. "He won't umpire our games anymore."

In the wake of that Game 2 defeat, Steinbrenner said the Yankees had complained to baseball commissioner Bud Selig about the decision to play on. "[Selig] just said, 'That's in the umpires' hands,' " Steinbrenner said. "But Jesus Christ, it was terrible. It messed up the whole team, [Derek] Jeter, all of them."

If the bugs also messed up Alex Rodriguez, the superstar forever burdened by October angst, Steinbrenner said A-Rod's struggles won't temper his desire to re-sign the free agent-to-be, who will likely seek a contract worth more than $30 million per year.

"I think we'll re-sign him," Steinbrenner said of Rodriguez. "I think he's going to have a good run the rest of the [postseason]. I think he realizes New York is the place to be, the place to play. A lot of this [postseason] is laying on his shoulders, you know, but I think he's up to it."

Despite the recent organizational promotions of his son, Hal, and son-in-law, Felix Lopez, Steinbrenner made it clear he will be the one who decides how much to offer Rodriguez and whether to offer Torre anything at all.

"I have full control," Steinbrenner said. The owner maintained that rumors of his declining health were false.

"I'm doing all right," he said. "I'm fine."

Steinbrenner said the first two games in Cleveland left him disappointed, not defeated. He believes the Yankees will win three consecutive sudden-death games to advance to the American League Championship Series.

"I think we're going to be OK," he said. "I just think we've got the team. We can hit; I think our hitters got that out of their craw [Friday] night.

"We'll see how good our team is [tonight]."

In Game 3, the Yankees won't just play for their season. They'll play for their manager's job.
    North Jersey Media Group providing local news, sports & classifieds for Northern New Jersey!

MLB ERA

Re: Boss speaks out

Wow!! What are your thoughts on this Yanks fans?

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

I love this. Not because it's right for the team right now, the timing is extremely poor. However, I'm glad George is alive and is swinging. I missed the bastard.
    Save Phil Hughes

MLB ERA

I am also glad to see this but not right now just like PFAE said. Its good to see that George still is running that organazation. He should have done this earlier instead of right now but I think that if they don't win it would be the right thing to do. It would be awful to see Joe walk away from this club but I think thats the right thing...
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

The old football mentality I guess. If the players love their manager so much - as is often professed - then make them prove it by playing for his job. I think the Yankees are 3-12 or something like that in their last 15 playoff games under Torre. Motivation or pitching issues? You tell me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It's good to see George still running things? He is the main reason why the Yankees aren't built for WS contention the past few years. The Yankees arent' going to get a better manager but I hope Torre doesn't retire. Love seeing this guy in the game. Go back to the Cardinals!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And in a panic move by Joe Torre, looking to save his job, he's pitching Chien-Ming Wang on short rest tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    And in a panic move by Joe Torre, looking to save his job, he's pitching Chien-Ming Wang on short rest tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.
    And who do you propose he has pitch?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mike Mussina

Mike Mussina
    Mike Mussina is a desperation starter - as in he is the only guy left out there who can pitch. Say what you will about his experience, but I'd say his 5+ ERA says it all. Rather our ace at home than Mike. Mike can stand by for relief. He seems to have a flair for that.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Not a panic move at all, this is absolutely the right move. First of all, 3 day's rest is just about the most overrated thing in baseball, and the overall statistics are just about equal for 3 or for 4 day's rest. Second of all, Wang's ERA is more than 2 runs lower at home. And third of all, Mussina is terrible. It's 100% obvious to me that Wang has to start today.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    First of all, 3 day's rest is just about the most overrated thing in baseball, and the overall statistics are just about equal for 3 or for 4 day's rest.
    Actually, it's not. Take a look at the splits. Just about every single veteran pitcher who goes on 3 days rest performs significantly worse than on normal rest, be it Smoltz, Peavy, Schilling, Clemens, Pettitte, Maddux, Pedro, Glavine, anyone. You can look at the numbers, bro. Really the only pitcher it doesn't apply to is Josh Beckett, who destroys the postseason either way.

Anyways, we'll see how this works out for Wang Chung.

MLB ERA

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This assumes that the pitcher has been working on three days rest for the entire season and is used to pitching every four days.

Whereas for pitchers who have been working every five days and suddenly have to come back and pitch on three days rest, they don't perform well.

MLB ERA

Fair enough. I still think it's the right move though, as Wang's numbers are so much better at home. And Pettitte would be pitching on normal rest if it gets to a Game 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast