Thread: Cashman says new contract can wait

MLB ERA

Cashman says new contract can wait

Brian Cashman wants to stay with the Yankees. He reiterated that yesterday. What the general manager doesn't want, though, is to talk about a contract extension right now.

Cashman said before last night's Subway Series opener at Shea that he doesn't want to engage in contract discussions now because he doesn't want to be distracted from his job.

"There's a time and place for everything," Cashman said. "I've expressed that I need to concentrate solely on what we're doing right now."

But Cashman also said that he would like to stay with the Yankees. Cashman's name has come up in GM rumors elsewhere recently, particularly with the Phillies, where Ed Wade is on the hot seat.

"I prefer to come back," Cashman said. "There's no secret there. My preference is to come back, but my other preference right now is I need to focus on what we've got going on right now."

Because of the Yankees' position in the standings - they have won 11 of 12, but are still tied for third in the AL East - it's unlikely that the team would make a move regarding Cashman at the moment. Still, Cashman acknowledged that discussions for a contract extension probably would have to commence before Nov. 1, the date his contract expires.

"I think it'll have to be discussed at some point, because it's got to be settled," he said, explaining that the team would likely want to have its GM in place heading into the offseason. "For their interests more than mine, it's (good) to have something done before Nov. 1. But the focus right now needs to be on our team. And making sure our team plays at its top level."

Notebook

RUBEN RETURNS: After missing a month, Ruben Sierra (right biceps partial tear) returned last night from the disabled list, his arm having healed and his recent hip cramp having subsided. He pinch-hit in the sixth inning and reached on a Doug Mientkiewicz fielding error that scored a run.

Joe Torre said he doesn't plan to use Sierra in the outfield right now. The 39-year-old Sierra was placed on the DL April 22 with the biceps injury. He also experienced a cramp in his left hip flexor Tuesday during an extended spring training game in Tampa.

To make roster room for Sierra, the Yankees optioned Andy Phillips to Triple-A Columbus before the game.http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-266661c.html
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Ruben's back! Roooben!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic