Thread: Hughes maybe out for the season

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Hughes maybe out for the season

TORONTO -- Phil Hughes, one of baseball's top pitching prospects, has a Grade 3 sprain of the left ankle that is expected to set the hurler back an additional four to six weeks in his efforts to rejoin the Yankees' Major League roster.

Hughes, a 20-year-old right-hander, rolled his ankle while performing conditioning exercises Friday at Legends Field in Tampa, Fla., where he was rehabilitating a strained left hamstring.

The Grade 3 diagnosis is considered the most severe possible strain, in which one or more ligaments are stretched and completely torn. The Yankees made Hughes' results public Wednesday, prior to the club's game against the Toronto Blue Jays at the Rogers Centre.

Yankees officials had hoped Hughes would return in mid-June. But now with the setback, the hurler won't even throw off a mound until somewhere from late June to early July.

The Yankees' first-round selection in the June 2004 First-Year Player Draft, Hughes made two starts for the Yankees this season, making his Major League debut on April 26 and suffering a loss against Toronto at Yankee Stadium.

Hughes' second start was far more impressive, as Hughes carried a no-hitter through 6 1/3 innings in a May 1 start against the Texas Rangers before feeling a grabbing sensation in the back of his left leg, which was later diagnosed as a Grade 1 strain of his left hamstring.

Hughes was 1-1 with a 3.38 ERA in two Major League starts this season, striking out 11 and walking four in 10 2/3 innings. He also made three starts at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, going 2-1 with a 3.94 ERA.

First off, sorry I haven't been around lately, and it doesn't have much to do with the Yankees comical ineptitude but with my week - prom, graduation, Eastern States track meet etc. I would do a game thread tonight but I'm feeling sick and going to bed by 9.

Second off, I don't even know what to say about this...it's almost like he's gonna have to start over again with this huge setback. What a turn of events, from no hitter to nowhere.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Hughes maybe out for the season

Ouch that is NOT good news... SORRY!!! That is not going to help the Yankees pitching staff. Man, I hope he recovers for next year. If you read this post as unsymoathetic, well it is not meant to be. I am totally sorry... Year end injuries to players are NOT fun.

AAA ERA

Re: Hughes maybe out for the season

I think under normal circumstances here would be no question he'd be back but they obviously don't want to play aroundw/ their top prospect so I can see them shutting him down at some point but I still expect him to be back in July.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Hope they are careful.. Especially if they Yankees are pretty out of the race in July. What is more important, rushiong him along and taking a chance on his future for immediate satisfaction, or allow him to rest and rehab to be strong for next year?

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Hope they are careful.. Especially if they Yankees are pretty out of the race in July. What is more important, rushiong him along and taking a chance on his future for immediate satisfaction, or allow him to rest and rehab to be strong for next year?
    I hope the sandings don't have any impact at all on hughes return. Whether they are close or not they need to be cautious w/ him.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

totally agree with you... I would hate to see him turn to be a injury-plagued player. Give him a chance to heal and rehab!

He's put back to July, how is that the end of the season? It'll only be jus beginning!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

He won't throw off a mound until late July...it doesn't say he'll be back then.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

caution is still necessary here. Young and promising, whether or not the Yankees are in the play-off race. I would rest him for the remainder of the season. He is one the main pieces to the Yankee's future. Just my own personal feeling.

We are in NO RUSH for him to come back right now, so it doesn't matter. As long as he's good in September that's all we need.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    caution is still necessary here. Young and promising, whether or not the Yankees are in the play-off race. I would rest him for the remainder of the season. He is one the main pieces to the Yankee's future. Just my own personal feeling.
    I agree and I think we may have seen the last of him for the season.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYY View Post
    We are in NO RUSH for him to come back right now, so it doesn't matter. As long as he's good in September that's all we need.
    It looks like we'll be in a pennant race in September so that's alot to ask of Hughes to be back and winning games in the hat of a race. Unles e have a little breathing room I think it could do more harm than good brining him back under those circumstances.

Hughes is down for the season. this is terrible, TERRIBLE news.