NEW YORK -- Yankees reliever Scott Proctor was suspended for four games and manager Joe Torre was suspended for one game as a result of an incident in Sunday's game, Major League Baseball announced Monday.
Proctor was ejected in the seventh inning of Sunday's game for throwing a pitch intentionally at the Mariners' Yuniesky Betancourt. Because of prior events in the game that prompted home-plate umpire Mike Everitt to warn both benches, Torre was also ejected from the contest.

Torre, 66, served his suspension on Monday, with bench coach Don Mattingly serving as the Yankees' manager. Proctor, who also received a $1,500 fine, has decided to appeal the suspension.

"Sometimes emotion gets the best of us," Torre said. "Scotty's heart was in the right place. Unfortunately, we're going to lose him for a period of time. It's tough for me to get angry with someone who felt he was protecting his people."

Proctor, a 30-year-old reliever, intentionally threw a pitch up and behind to Betancourt, prompting both benches to clear. Proctor did so in response to two earlier plays in the contest. Yankees first baseman Josh Phelps collided with catcher Kenji Johjima while scoring a run in the fifth inning, and Mariners pitcher Jarrod Washburn hit Phelps in the back with a pitch in the sixth inning.

"I'm not going back to what happened yesterday," Proctor said, when asked for comment. "We're going to play [Monday]. ... You understand and you're willing to deal with [the consequences]."

Proctor said that he felt the four-game suspension was "a little strong," and both Torre and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman agreed, leading Proctor to try his hand in the appeals process.

"Baseball typically does three games," Cashman said. "He has the appeals process, and it seems steep. He'll go through it with his representatives and have their day in court."

Proctor said he was not told when he could expect to have a day to state his side of the situation, but expected to hear so from the club's administration.

"I'm just leaving it up to Joe and Cashman," Proctor said. "They'll tell me when I have to serve it. One day at a time."

With Torre not permitted to be in uniform or on the bench, the Yankees' managerial duties shifted to Mattingly, 46, who is in his first season as the club's bench coach.

A 14-year Major League veteran and a nine-time Gold Glove Award winner, Mattingly served for three years as the Yankees' hitting coach before sidling up to Torre in 2007.
I personally don't think Torre should be suspended. I know the manager usually has to bear some punishment for events like this but I honestly don't think he ordered Proctor to throw at Betancourt. It was a weird time to throw at him two, 2 outs and Proctor had already retired his first 3 hitters. I also think 4 games is slightly too much for Proctor...3 games would probably be a little better if you ask me. He will appeal though but at the very worst his arm doesn't get to fall off for a few days.