Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHIL HUGHES is coming to the major leagues!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees PHIL HUGHES is coming to the major leagues!

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- After a dominant 2006 season in the Minor Leagues, top Yankees prospect Phil Hughes was expecting his call to join the Yankees. Eventually.
    The 20-year-old was probably fairly surprised to have his phone ring on Monday with a message that he'd be starting in pinstripes on Thursday against Toronto.

"It's a necessity for us, but they don't think it's the wrong time for him," Yankees manager Joe Torre said of the decision to promote Hughes, who has posted a 2-1 record and a 3.94 ERA in three starts at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this year. "We certainly had visions of him coming up later on, but we also preface that with, 'If everybody stays healthy,' and that hasn't been the case."

The Yankees' rotation has taken some blows early on this season, with Mike Mussina on the disabled list with a sore hamstring, Carl Pavano watching from the dugout with tightness in his right forearm and Chien-Mine Wang out with a strained hamstring. Torre said he wasn't sure what would happen with Hughes, or how long the youngster would stay up, but he said the team would take it "a start at a time."

Hughes fanned 10 last Wednesday, but Torre was more impressed with how the right-hander was able to fight through rough patches.

"The only thing I told him in Spring Training was, 'Just keep doing what you're doing,'" Torre said. "'Experience is the only thing you need. Bad things are going to happen; the true test is getting through those things.'"

Taken in the first round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, Hughes was the only Minor League pitcher recommended to Torre by his advisory staff.

Across 26 starts at Class A Tampa and Double-A Trenton last season, Hughes went 12-6 with a 2.16 ERA, striking out 168 batters and walking 34 in 146 innings.
    I'm very excited to see this kid pitch. I've been saying they will certainly call him up eventually this year and I'm really excited to see what he can do against major league hitters.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: PHIL HUGHES is coming to the major leagues!

Is this in Toronto or NY?

If it's in NY I'm going to go.

MLB ERA

It's at home...you lucky bastard. I wish I could go to this game

MLB ERA

Yesssssssssss!

The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: New York Yankees News
    Minor League Baseball: News

Let's hope he can live up to the expectations. Should be fun to watch.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

I'm so sick of hearing how this is a panic move; Hughes dominated AA last year and was well on his way to dominating AAA (6 IP, 2H, 0BB, 10K in his last start). He's got two plus pitches (fastball and curve) and another that's on its way there (changeup).

I'm not saying he's going to dominate the Jays tonight, but if there was one pitcher I'd call up if I were the Yankee brass, it'd be Phil Hughes.

AAA ERA

My only conerns are the reactions after the game. If he does great you know people will overreact and annoint him already, if he sucks they will call him a bust. This is his 1st start, let's give the guy a chance to get comfortable and prove himself.

MLB ERA

I'm not actually going, I never got a chance to get to the Stadium.

AA ERA

I don't think anyone will call him a bust. They'll just kill the front office for "rushing" him.

MLB ERA

I'd love to hear from the people who would accuse the front office of rushing him as to who they'd have pitching.

eh...decent 1st inning

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: PHIL HUGHES is coming to the major leagues!

is this a good thing? who is Phil Hughes? Is he good or something? j/k.. I know about Phil Hughes. I just wanted to get your attention.

I just wanted to stop by the Yankee's forum and see what is going on in here. Haven't been around these part lately. So hey there Yankee's fans!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    I just wanted to stop by the Yankee's forum and see what is going on in here. Haven't been around these part lately. So hey there Yankee's fans!
    is this a good thing? who is brewersfan19? Is he good or something? j/k.. I know about brewersfan19.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: PHIL HUGHES is coming to the major leagues!

o.k. good one! I deserved that one. just wanted to see if the Yankee fans were awake tonight, thats all!!

AA ERA

The umpires really ****ed Hughes over tongiht. Not to make excuses though: he didn't pitch all that well but he deserved a better fate. I think he deserves another start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast