Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Spring Training Thread

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees 2007 Spring Training Thread

Figured we should have one for ST separate from the random ramblings.

YANKEES 3, DEVIL RAYS 1
    at St. Petersburg, Fla.
    Friday, March 2
    Yankees at the plate: Derek Jeter's first-inning single off James Shields was the only hit by Yankees regulars. Josh Phelps hit the hardest ball of the game when his seventh-inning shot off Shawn Camp hit off the left-field wall so hard that he was held to a single.

Rays at the plate: Rocco Baldelli's leadoff single in the fourth off Yankees right-hander Darrell Rasner ended a nine-inning streak in which the Rays' starting lineup did not get a hit. The streak dated back to Wednesday's six-inning intrasquad game in which the Rays did not manage a safety. Shawn Riggans' infield single with two out in the seventh drove home Fernando Perez for the Rays' first run of the season.

Yankees on the mound: Andy Pettitte started for the Yankees and pitched two innings, retiring the Rays in order on 20 pitches -- 15 of which were strikes. The veteran left-hander's performance came a day after Chien-Ming Wang started for the Yankees and retired the Twins in order during his two innings of work.

Rays on the mound: Shields pitched one inning and showed a nice changeup when striking out Yankees leadoff hitter Johnny Damon; the right-hander allowed one hit and one walk. Right-handed non-roster invitee Gary Glover retired the Yankees in order on three groundouts during a one-inning stint.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 2-0; Rays 0-1.

Up next: The Yankees host the Pirates on Saturday at Legends Field in a 1:15 ET contest. Right-hander Mike Mussina will make his first start of the spring. The Rays play the Blue Jays in Dunedin, Fla., at Knology Park in a 1:05 p.m. contest. Left-hander Scott Kazmir is scheduled to start and pitch two innings for the Rays.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA
    The Yanks are 2-0, only a half game back from 1st in the quest for the Grapefruit League Title

the next game on YES is Monday at 1:15PM against Detroit.

The spring training sched is below:

NEW YORK YANKEES 2007 SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE
    Thu., March 1 MINNESOTA TWINS AT LEGENDS FIELD W 5-1 1-0
    Fri., March 2 Tampa Bay Devil Rays at St. Petersburg W 3-1 2-0
    Sat., March 3 PITTSBURGH PIRATES AT LEGENDS FIELD 1:15 p.m.
    Sun., March 4 Philadelphia Phillies at Clearwater 1:05 p.m.
    Mon., March 5 DETROIT TIGERS AT LEGENDS FIELD 1:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Tue., March 6 Cleveland Indians at Winter Haven 1:05 p.m.
    Wed., March 7 CINCINNATI REDS AT LEGENDS FIELD 7:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Thu., March 8 Atlanta Braves at Disney 1:05 p.m. TV: YES
    Fri., March 9 TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS AT LEGENDS FIELD 7:15 p.m.
    Sat., March 10 Pittsburgh Pirates at Bradenton 1:05 p.m.
    Sun., March 11 CLEVELAND INDIANS AT LEGENDS FIELD 1:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Mon., March 12 Boston Red Sox at Fort Myers 7:05 p.m. TV: YES
    Tue., March 13 CINCINNATI REDS AT LEGENDS FIELD 7:15 p.m.
    Wed., March 14 MINNESOTA TWINS AT LEGENDS FIELD 7:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Thu., March 15 ATLANTA BRAVES AT LEGENDS FIELD 7:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Fri., March 16 Houston Astros at Kissimmee 1:05 p.m.
    Sat., March 17 Philadelphia Phillies at Clearwater 1:05 p.m. TV: YES
    Sun., March 18 PITTSBURGH PIRATES AT LEGENDS FIELD 1:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Mon., March 19 Toronto Blue Jays at Dunedin 1:05 p.m.
    Tue., March 20 PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES AT LEGENDS FIELD 7:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Thu., March 22 Cincinnati Reds at Sarasota 1:05 p.m.
    Fri., March 23 Pittsburgh Pirates at Bradenton 1:05 p.m.
    Sat., March 24 TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT LEGENDS FIELD 1:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Sun., March 25 Detroit Tigers at Lakeland 1:05 p.m. TV: YES
    Mon., March 26 PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES AT LEGENDS FIELD 1:15 p.m. TV: YES
    Tue., March 27 Minnesota Twins at Fort Myers 1:05 p.m.
    Wed., March 28 HOUSTON ASTROS AT LEGENDS FIELD 7:15 p.m.
    Thu., March 29 Toronto Blue Jays at Dunedin 7:05 p.m. TV: YES
    Fri., March 30 Detroit Tigers at Lakeland 1:05 p.m.
    Sat., March 31 DETROIT TIGERS AT LEGENDS FIELD 1:15 p.m. TV: YES
    • All times Eastern and subject to change

MLB ERA
    YANKEES 4, PIRATES 3
    at Tampa, Fla.
    Saturday, March 3
    Yankees at the plate: Hideki Matsui ripped a double in the first inning. Kevin Thompson had a double in the third, and Jorge Posada collected his first hit of the spring, launching a solo homer to right in the fourth inning.

Pirates at the plate: First baseman Brad Eldred went 1-for-3 and hit his second home run of the spring, a towering shot over the left-field wall in the second inning.

Yankees on the mound: Starter Mike Mussina allowed two hits and one run, which came courtesy of Eldred's homer on a full count.

Pirates on the mound: Starter Shane Youman surrendered two hits and no runs in two innings.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 3-0; Pirates 0-3.

Up next: The Yankees will visit the Phillies on Sunday at 1:05 p.m. ET at Brighthouse Networks Field in Clearwater, Fla. Right-hander Carl Pavano will make his first start of the spring.
    The Pirates will play two games against the Reds in Bradenton, Fla. Right-hander Shawn Chacon will start for the Pirates at 1:05 p.m. Left-hander Paul Maholm is scheduled to start for the Pirates in a six-inning "B" game slated for 10 a.m.

AAA ERA
    Too bad that game isn't on TV, I'd like to see how Pavano looks.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, same here...I'm definitely going to pay close attention to those results. When was the last time you heard "Carl Pavano will make his next scheduled start."

AAA ERA
    The Yanks are up 10-3 and 1 run was scored by philly in the 2nd so by the score it sounds like he pitched ok but I can't find a boxscore.

AAA ERA
    W/o seeing him it's hard to tell but he pitched 2 innings, gave up 2 hits, 2 walks and 1 earned run.

SI.com - MLB - Box Score - New York Yankees vs. Philadelphia Phillies

MLB ERA
    Doesn't sound overly impressive, but at least he got out there and got to pitch in a real game finally.

MLB ERA
    Meh. Doubt he was worth the 10 mil for this year.

MLB ERA
    Todd Pratt has been shut down indefinitely with an inflamed left heel that has bothered him for about a week.
    A bad sign for his chances of making the team. Wil Nieves looks like the leading candidate to serve as Jorge Posada's backup. Pratt has said he'd retire if he doesn't win a job.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    What ever happened to Ben Davis? I'd much rather have him than Wil Nieves any day of the week.

MLB ERA
    YANKEES 6, TIGERS 5
    at Tampa, Fla.
    Monday, March 5
    Tigers at the plate: Ryan Raburn worked a bases-loaded walk in the first inning, one of three free passes issued by Yankees starter Kei Igawa, and Carlos Guillen was issued another in the second inning. Placido Polanco stroked a two-run double off Steven Jackson in the fifth.

Yankees at the plate: Bronson Sardinha's two-run walk-off homer off Felix Heredia in the ninth kept the Yankees perfect for the spring. Hideki Matsui hit his first home run of the spring in the second inning, blasting a two-run shot to right. Robinson Cano gave the Yankees the lead with an RBI groundout later in the second, scoring Jorge Posada. Alex Rodriguez reached Andrew Miller for a run-scoring single in the third.

Tigers on the mound: Justin Verlander set the Yankees down in order in the first inning, but his second inning became an adventure. Verlander surrendered a two-run homer to Matsui and then fired a pair of wild pitches that allowed Posada to move to third, scoring on an infield groundout. Verlander allowed three runs and struck out one in the 34-pitch, 17-strike effort. Miller allowed one run and two hits in two innings of work, walking one and striking out one.

Yankees on the mound: Igawa struggled in his Grapefruit League debut, allowing two hits and three walks in one-plus inning of work. Igawa struck out three, throwing 40 pitches (38 in the first inning) and was lifted for reliever Jeff Kennard after surrendering a leadoff single to Sean Casey in the second inning. Mariano Rivera made his spring debut in the third inning, retiring Detroit on two strikeouts and a groundout.

Grapefruit League records: Tigers 4-2; Yankees 5-0

Up next: The Tigers host the Blue Jays on Tuesday at 1:05 p.m. ET in Lakeland, Fla. Left-hander Mike Maroth is slated to start for Detroit.

The Yankees play the Indians in Winter Haven, Fla., on Tuesday at 1:05 p.m., and right-hander Chien-Ming Wang is scheduled to pitch.
    Igawa struggling...not good. He says he usually struggles with his control though at this time of the year so hopefully it's just a normal thing.

MLB ERA
    INDIANS 6, YANKEES 5
    at Winter Haven, Fla.
    Tuesday, March 6
    Indians at the plate: Grady Sizemore poked the third pitch he saw from Chien-Ming Wang over the left-field wall for a leadoff homer in the first. Later, in the third, Sizemore followed up Mike Rouse's stand-up triple with a sacrifice fly to center. In the seventh, Luis Rivas turned in a two-run double to center and Mike Aubrey singled in a run.

Yankees at the plate: Right fielder Kevin Reese got the Yankees on the board with his two-run shot off Fernando Cabrera in the fifth. First baseman Josh Phelps, a former Indian, cranked a two-run blast to right off Brian Sikorski in the sixth.

Indians on the mound: Fausto Carmona was much more effective in his second start of the spring. He gave up just one hit and one walk with three strikeouts in two scoreless innings. Closer Joe Borowski worked a scoreless third, aided by Sizemore's diving grab of a Derek Jeter line drive. Roberto Hernandez also pitched a scoreless inning.

Yankees on the mound: Wang worked three innings, giving up a pair of runs on five hits. He got out of trouble with runners on the corners in the second by getting Hector Luna to hit into a double play. Right-hander Phil Hughes looked solid in two scoreless innings of work, holding the Tribe to a hit and a walk with one strikeout.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 5-1; Indians 3-3.

Up next: The Yanks return home to Tampa to take on the Reds on Wednesday. Andy Pettitte is the scheduled starter, opposite left-hander Bobby Livingston. The Indians will head west to St. Petersburg to play the Devil Rays. Left-hander Jeremy Sowers will start against right-hander Dan Miceli.

Hey, if we're gonna lose at least it's to the amazingness of GRADY and the Indians. Nice job by Hughes with 2 scoreless innings.

MLB ERA
    Yesterday's game...

REDS 1, YANKEES 1 (10 innings)
    at Tampa, Fla.
    Wednesday, March 7

Yankees at the plate: Alex Rodriguez went 2-for-3 with a single and a double. Derek Jeter went 1-for-3 with a single. Bronson Sardinha delivered the tying RBI single with one out in the bottom of the ninth.

Reds at the plate: Joey Votto hit his first home run of the spring with a solo shot in the eighth inning to break a scoreless tie. Jeff Conine went 1-for-3 with a single.

Yankees on the mound: Starter Andy Pettitte pitched three scoreless innings. The veteran southpaw suffered a scare in the first inning, when Chris Denorfia's bat shattered. Part of the bat nicked Pettitte in the ring finger of his throwing hand, but Pettitte stayed in the game. He allowed three hits and two walks while striking out one. Luis Vizcaino, who the Yankees acquired in the Randy Johnson trade, gave up the homer to Votto in the eighth.

Reds on the mound: Starter Bobby Livingston went three innings without allowing a run. The lefty gave up five hits and recorded one strikeout. Elizardo Ramirez pitched two scoreless innings in relief before yielding the tying run in his third inning of work.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 5-1-1; Reds 6-0-1.

Up next: The Yankees visit the Braves on Thursday for their first meeting of the spring. Mike Mussina will make his second start of Spring Training in the 1:05 p.m. ET game at Disney's Wide World of Sports. Right-handed relievers Matt DeSalvo, Scott Proctor and Chris Britton are also scheduled to pitch.

Aaron Harang is scheduled to start his second spring game when the Reds host the Tigers at 1:05 p.m. on Thursday in Sarasota.

MLB ERA
    And today's.

YANKEES 5, BRAVES 3 in 10 innings
    at Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
    Thursday, March 8
    Braves at the plate: With his dad in the other dugout serving as New York's first-base coach, Tony Pena delivered a game-tying RBI triple off Chris Britton with two outs in the ninth. Jeff Francoeur homered off Mike Mussina to begin the bottom of the second inning.

Yankees at the plate: Josh Phelps' two-out RBI single in the 10th inning off Steve Colyer proved to be the game-winner. Two innings earlier, Phelps provided a go-ahead sacrifice fly. Jason Giambi homered off Tim Hudson to begin the second inning.

Braves on the mound: Hudson, who allowed two runs -- one earned -- and four hits, ended his four-inning outing by retiring the final six batters that he faced. Making his debut, Rafael Soriano pitched two scoreless innings in which he allowed three hits and registered a strikeout.

Yankees on the mound: Mussina, who allowed two earned runs and four hits, retired the final five batters he faced in his three-inning outing. Scott Proctor allowed a hit and registered a strikeout in a scoreless fourth inning.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 6-1-1, Braves 5-2-1.

Up next: Chuck James will start for the Braves in Friday afternoon's game against the Pirates at Bradenton at 1:05 ET. Carl Pavano will start for the Yankees in Friday night's home game against the Devil Rays at 7:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast