Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2007 Spring Training Thread

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    YANKEES 5, PIRATES 3
    at Bradenton, Fla.
    Saturday, March 10
    Yankees at the plate: In the first inning, Robinson Cano's single knocked in the game's first run as the Yankees grabbed a 1-0 lead. With the bases loaded, Josh Phelps grounded into a force to knock in the second run, and Chris Basak's single knocked in the third that inning. In the ninth, pinch-hitter Eric Duncan homered with a runner aboard to break a 3-3 tie.

Pirates at the plate: Ronny Paulino doubled in the first, but he bettered that in the third when Paulino, who had three hits total, pounded a first-pitch fastball over the wall in left field to knock in two runs. An inning later, the Pirates tied the ballgame, 3-3, on Brad Eldred's double, Luis Matos' sacrifice bunt and Jose Castillo's RBI single. For the game, Eldred had a pair of doubles and a single.

Yankees on the mound: Left-hander Kei Igawa took the mound with a 3-0 lead, and while Igawa didn't give up any runs, he had his shaky moments. A too-sweet fastball led to a pair of runs in the third. But he made pitches when he needed to most, and ended his three-inning outing with a line that read: five hits, two runs and four strikeouts. Igawa turned a 3-2 lead over to right-hander Steven Jackson, who gave up the tying run. Left-hander Sean Henn picked up the save.

Pirates on the mound: Right-hander Ian Snell took over for left-hander Paul Maholm in the fourth, and Snell pitched flawlessly. He held the Yankees hitless over three innings. In contrast, Maholm struggled. In the first, he gave up three hits and issued a pair of walks. Those baserunners helped the Yankees score three times off Maholm, who was making his Grapefruit League debut. In all, the Pirates pitchers allowed the Yankees one hit over the next seven innings. That total changed in the ninth when Salomon Torres, who took the loss, gave up a two-run homer.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 8-1; Pirates 3-7-1.

Up next: The Yankees return to Legends Field on Sunday afternoon to play the Indians at 1:15 p.m. ET. Right-hander Chien-Ming Wang will start for the Yankees; he'll face right-hander Fausto Carmona. As for the Pirates, they travel to Sarasota to meet the Reds at 1:05. Left-hander Tom Gorzelanny will start for the Bucs, and he will face veteran left-hander Eric Milton.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Pavano was excused from start for personal reasons

TAMPA, Fla. -- Yankees right-hander Carl Pavano was excused from his scheduled start Friday against the Devil Rays for personal reasons.

Pavano, 31, left Legends Field following an unspecified issue that developed shortly after batting practice. The New York Post reported Saturday that Pavano departed to attend to a health-related issue involving his girlfriend, 22-year-old Gia Allemand.

Manager Joe Torre said he was informed of the occurrence about 45 minutes before the game's scheduled first pitch. With agreement from pitching coach Ron Guidry, Torre scratched Pavano from what would have been his second start of the spring.

"Something came up," Torre said, "and we allowed him to go take care of what he needed to take care of. He was a little reluctant on what he should do. Both Gator and I insisted that he go."

Right-hander Jeff Karstens was selected to start in Pavano's place. Torre said that Pavano would re-enter the Yankees' rotation shortly, though it is doubtful he would pitch Saturday because of a quick turnaround for an afternoon game against the Pirates in Bradenton, Fla.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that the reasons behind Pavano's abrupt departure were legitimate.

"There's somewhere he should be right now," Cashman said. "The important thing is to know that he really doesn't need to be here [Friday]. It's something that just came up right before game time.

"Joe said, 'Let him go,' and rightfully so. He'll return here soon. It's not an issue. He's taking care of something that he needs to be taking care of."

Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo said that Pavano's absence was not related to any legal issues or proceedings, and said that the hurler may return to the team Saturday.

Cashman said Pavano could address his situation further with reporters upon his return, if he so chooses.

Earlier Friday, The Associated Press reported that Pavano had been named in a lawsuit relating to an August 2006 automobile accident.

Ernest DeLaura, 47, of Port St. Lucie, Fla., also named the Yankees as a defendant when he filed paperwork two months ago in Bronx state Supreme Court, the report stated.

On Aug. 15, DeLaura was driving a garbage truck in West Palm Beach, Fla., when Pavano's 2006 Porsche hydroplaned and hit DeLaura's vehicle.

Pavano sustained two broken ribs in the accident, which he concealed from the club for a short period, making three rehabilitation starts before seeking medical attention.

DeLaura's attorney, Paul Edelman, told the AP that his client required shoulder surgery and may need a second procedure on his neck.

Pavano is entering the third year of a four-year, $39.95 million contract he signed with the Yankees after the 2004 season. He has made one exhibition start this spring, allowing one run in two innings against the Phillies on Sunday.

MLB ERA
    INDIANS 4, YANKEES 3
    at Tampa, Fla.
    Sunday, March 11
    Indians at the plate: David Dellucci put the Indians on the board in the first inning with a solo home run off the batter's eye in center field. Cleveland tacked on two runs in the sixth when Jhonny Peralta stroked an RBI double to the right, scoring Victor Martinez, and Andy Marte lifted a sacrifice fly to bring in Shin-Soo Choo.

Yankees at the plate: Johnny Damon opened the game with a single, but the Yankees were limited to just one more hit through the first five innings. Alex Rodriguez ripped an RBI double to left in the sixth, scoring Miguel Cairo. Brett Gardner added an RBI single in the seventh, and Jose Tabata took Jeff Harris deep for a ninth-inning solo shot.

Indians on the mound: Fausto Carmona opened the door to become a member of Cleveland's rotation a little wider on Sunday, limiting the Yankees to one hit over three shutout innings. Carmona continued to pitch after being hit on the right leg by a Rodriguez line drive in the first inning. Roberto Hernandez pitched a scoreless inning and Fernando Cabrera allowed a run in the sixth.

Yankees on the mound: Chien-Ming Wang allowed one run -- Dellucci's home run -- and four hits over four innings in his third start of the spring. The right-hander threw 61 pitches (39 strikes), walking one and striking out four. Closer Mariano Rivera allowed a double to Josh Barfield in a scoreless fifth inning, his third appearance of the spring. Top prospect Phil Hughes allowed two runs in the sixth, walked two and threw a wild pitch.

Grapefruit League records: Indians 8-4; Yankees 8-2-1.

Up next: The Yankees travel to Fort Myers on Monday, facing the Red Sox in a 7:15 p.m. ET start. Right-hander Carl Pavano makes his second start of the spring for New York, with knuckleballer Tim Wakefield slated for Boston.

The Indians travel to Bradenton, Fla., on Monday to play the Pirates at 1:05 p.m. Left-hander Jeremy Sowers is scheduled to start for Cleveland, with right-hander Tony Armas Jr. going for Pittsburgh.

MLB ERA

Notes: Hughes headed for AAA

TAMPA, Fla. -- Even if he had compiled great numbers this spring, Phil Hughes would have been a long shot to open the season in New York, with Yankees officials tabbing him for seasoning at Triple-A.
    Three appearances into his second Major League Spring Training, the 20-year-old right-hander has not changed the organization's thinking.

Unable to throw his curveball and changeup for strikes on Sunday, Hughes surrendered three runs and four hits in a 1 1/3-inning performance against the Indians. Afterward, he lamented not making the Yankees' decisions more difficult.

"It's a little bit frustrating to not go out and pitch the way I know I can," Hughes said. "At the same time, I think [the Yankees] had their minds made up from the beginning, so it wasn't like I could really go out there and do anything special to change their minds.

"It's Spring Training. Stuff-wise, I felt much better than the first two times. It's just that the results weren't there."

With starting pitchers beginning to work deeper into games, the Yankees have a second round of reassignments to Minor League camp plotted for execution on Tuesday. Accordingly, Minor League intrasquad games begin on Wednesday.

It is not known if Hughes will be on that list, but it has already been made clear that -- at some point -- he will be taking his belongings across the street to the Minor League complex.

"I have no idea how much longer I'll stay," Hughes said. "It doesn't make too much of a difference. I'm still getting the same work. It's probably a little bit better to face big-league hitters rather than Triple-A guys."

In 4 2/3 innings this spring, Hughes' results have not matched up to his impressive Minor League career. His ERA is an unsightly 7.71, and after averaging just 2.09 walks per nine innings last season, he has already walked six in Grapefruit League play.

Yankees manager Joe Torre said he was pleased to see Hughes continue grinding through his performance Sunday, and noted that Hughes never appears to lose his composure -- a good sign.

"This is all about experience for him," Torre said. "He's got an opportunity to pitch here in Spring Training for us, and I think whatever the results, it's all good for him."

Hughes said that the experiences from this spring will remain with him after he leaves Legends Field, whenever that may be.

"It's a huge eye-opener," Hughes said. "I can remember a couple of occasions where if I throw that breaking ball for a strike, I'm probably in a lot better spot. It's just a matter of doing it."

Renewed faith: Shortly before Chien-Ming Wang took the mound for his third exhibition start, the Yankees announced that they had renewed the right-hander's contract for the 2007 season.

Second baseman Robinson Cano signed a one-year deal with the club, avoiding renewal. Though the budding stars should eventually be due for large raises, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said he was satisfied with the process.

"I see a lot of names being renewed around baseball for a lot less than we offered," Cashman said.

Right-hander Scott Proctor and outfielder Melky Cabrera have also agreed to deals for 2007.

In game action, Wang said he was bothered slightly by tightness in his right wrist, but said he was fine and did not seek medical treatment.

Cashman and Torre were both unaware of the tightness following Wang's four-inning effort against Cleveland, in which he allowed one run -- a home run to David Dellucci in the first inning -- and three hits, walking one and striking out four.

Wang said that his split-finger fastball and slider were his strikeout pitches on Sunday, and that he felt "better than last time," a three-inning start against the Indians at Winter Haven, Fla., on Tuesday.

"He was fine," Torre said. "He had a couple of pitches up that got hit, but overall I thought he was very good."

It's a catching thing: Wil Nieves hopes to miss no more than a week with a tender right elbow that has put him on the shelf.

The 29-year-old catcher said he woke up around 3:30 a.m. ET on Saturday and panicked when he felt tightness in his throwing elbow, near his forearm. He said it felt better on Sunday, one day after he was sent for X-rays and an MRI exam.

"I didn't want to miss any of the spring," Nieves said. "The most important thing is to be ready for the season."

Nieves said he believes he pulled a muscle while taking batting practice, and said he had no prior injuries of that type.

It has been a rough spring for the Yankees' backup catcher hopefuls. Todd Pratt has been sidelined with plantar fasciitis in his left foot, but is expected to return to action Monday; Raul Chavez broke his right hand in winter ball and started behind the other catchers.

Take a day: Designated hitter Jason Giambi was scratched from the Yankees' lineup on Sunday with calf cramps, replaced in the lineup by Bronson Sardinha.

Giambi is still expected to be one of four regulars making the trip to Fort Myers, Fla., on Monday; Cabrera, Cano and Hideki Matsui are the others.

"[Giambi] knows I wanted him to go [Monday], so I had to make a choice," Torre said. "It was an easy one to get him on that trip. If he wasn't fine, obviously we wouldn't have taken him."

This and that: Prospect Jose Tabata, 18, showed opposite-field power Sunday, homering to right off the Tribe's Jeff Harris in the ninth inning. "He's just a baby," Torre said. "There's a lot of raw talent there that we're certainly aware of." ... Bobby Abreu (strained right oblique) performed flip work and took about 50 swings off a tee Sunday, reporting no problems.

Coming up: The Yankees travel to Fort Myers for their first and only spring meeting with the Red Sox on Monday. Right-hander Carl Pavano is scheduled to start for New York in the 7:15 p.m. ET contest, two days after he left Legends Field for personal reasons and missed what would have been his second game of the spring.

Darrell Rasner and Ross Ohlendorf are also scheduled to pitch for the Yankees, who will see right-hander Tim Wakefield start for Boston. J.C. Romero and Manny Delcarmen are also slated to pitch for the Red Sox.

AAA ERA
    Igawa looked pretty good last night. i only saw an inning but after walking the 1st 2 Braves he faved he struck the next 3 including Chipper and Andruw Jones.

MLB ERA
    YANKEES 3, BRAVES 2
    at Tampa, Fla.
    Thursday, March 15
    Braves at the plate: Atlanta put the game's first run on the board in the fourth inning, as Brian McCann doubled off Mike Myers and scored on Ryan Langerhans' single off T.J. Beam. Chipper Jones extended the Braves' lead when he reached Tyler Clippard for a solo home run with one out in the fifth.

Yankees at the plate: Cather Raul Chavez's two-run homer started a three-run seventh inning that included a squeeze bunt by Kevin Reese. Alex Rodriguez and Jason Giambi both singled and advanced to third base in the first four innings, but were stranded 90 feet away.

Braves on the mound: Lance Cormier continued his strong spring, spinning five shutout innings around three hits. Cormier struck out three to increase his spring total to 13, walking none, while lowering his ERA to 1.29.

Yankees on the mound: Kei Igawa again had difficulty commanding his pitches for strikes, but the Braves never made him pay for his wildness. Igawa threw just 29 strikes in a 62-pitch, three-inning start, walking four but striking out five. Myers faced one batter and was charged with an earned run, while Beam recorded three outs in the fourth inning.

Grapefruit League records: Braves 7-6-1; Yankees 10-3-1.

Up next: The Yankees travel to Kissimmee, Fla., to see the Astros on Friday, with the teams facing off at 1:05 p.m. ET. Right-hander Chien-Ming Wang is scheduled to start for New York, with right-hander Woody Williams going for Houston.

The Braves return home on Friday to play the Cardinals at 7:05 p.m. ET. Left-hander Mark Redman is scheduled to start for Atlanta, with right-hander Chris Carpenter going for St. Louis.

MLB ERA
    TAMPA, Fla. -- Eight of Kei Igawa's first nine pitches missed the strike zone Thursday, and with two Atlanta Braves on base and none out, Ron Guidry made an unexpectedly early trot to the mound.

Communication has been just one hurdle for the Japanese left-hander this spring, but whatever Guidry said in his Louisiana twang, it seemed to help.

Igawa struck out the side to end the inning and, even as he battled spotty control, finished off three scoreless frames to complete his third Grapefruit League start.

"I'm not sure how Gator communicated with him," Torre joked later. "Maybe Cajun is close to Japanese."

Preparing for his first Major League season, Igawa's adjustments are continuing. The 27-year-old needed 62 pitches to get through three innings of work, and recorded just 29 strikes.

He was continuously behind in the count, throwing just one first-pitch strike to Atlanta's first nine batters -- a called strike to free-swinging former Yankee Craig Wilson, who eventually struck out.

The performance was "effectively wild," as catcher Jorge Posada put it. Igawa walked four but struck out five, and the Yankees seem encouraged by Igawa's ability to throw offspeed pitches behind in the count and his willingness to respond to tweaks.

Guidry's spoken words and assorted gestures told Igawa that he needed to reach out further and finish off his pitches -- a lesson that has been repeatedly stressed in bullpen sessions, not just under the lights at Legends Field.

But, as Torre revealed earlier on Thursday, Igawa has taken conditioning drills into his own hands on occasion.

Two days after his March 5 debut against the Detroit Tigers, an unsatisfied Igawa walked out to the adjacent Field 3 bordering Legends Field and repeatedly threw baseballs against a chain-link fence from flat ground.

"I only do that when I feel I need to keep my balance," Igawa explained through interpreter Yumi Watanbe. "It's just a way to shift my weight from one leg to the other."

Igawa said that the exercise is fairly common among Japanese pitchers, except it is usually conducted with a netted screen that could catch the thrown balls. Lacking those amenities, Igawa instead opted for the clanging of horsehide against metal.

Torre said that Guidry later instructed Igawa that the Yankees would prefer if he conducted those types of drills with the supervision of a coach.

"We're here to support him, not to change him," Torre said.

Igawa seems to be making plenty of other adjustments on his own. Though Posada said he was pleased with Igawa's slider and called his changeup "good," the catcher said that Igawa's demeanor may have seen the most improvement over the past 10 days.

"His presence around the mound is better," Posada said. "Before, he was walking around the mound a little bit. Now, he's getting the ball and throwing it. He's just getting more comfortable."

What a grab: Melky Cabrera helped out Igawa's performance in the second inning, making a tumbling, backhanded grab in center field to rob catcher Brian McCann of an extra-base hit.

"It scared the [heck] out of me," Torre said. "At first, I thought he was just trying to be a hero when he said he was OK, because it looked like he may have been shaken up."

Cabrera was fine and remained in the game, though he left after three at-bats in favor of Kevin Thompson. Torre said he lifted Cabrera early to allow him to rest, as he is on the travel roster for Friday's afternoon game at Kissimmee.

The Yankees envision the 22-year-old Cabrera, who batted .280 in 130 games for New York last season, filling in as the primary reserve at all three outfield positions this season.

"This kid is capable of doing a lot of great things," Torre said. "He's got great reactions," Torre said.

Cape Fehr: Players union executive director Donald Fehr met with the Yankees on Thursday before their scheduled game against the Braves, discussing bullet-pointed topics of current interest -- likely including Sen. George Mitchell's ongoing investigative committee -- and answering players' questions.

Fehr said that this year's meetings have been tranquil compared to past seasons' due to a new labor agreement that was reached last fall.

"This is really different," Fehr said. "It really takes the edge off. It makes things a lot easier. Everybody's happy."

Rewarding experiences: Prior to Thursday's game, the Yankees presented infielder Cody Ehlers and right-hander Phil Hughes with the Kevin Lawn "Player of the Year" awards, indicative of the top Minor League performances in 2006.

Both players accepted the awards from Torre and Craig Cole, of Balfour Jewelers, dressed in street clothes. They are currently in Minor League camp, though Hughes had just been reassigned from the Yankees' clubhouse a little more than 24 hours earlier.

Ehlers, 24, batted .298 with 18 home runs and 106 RBIs in 134 games for Class A Tampa last year, earning selection as the Florida State League Player of the Year. Hughes, 20, was a combined 12-6 with a 2.16 ERA and 168 strikeouts in 26 starts between Tampa and Double-A Trenton, and is widely considered the Yankees' top prospect.

The awards are dedicated to Kevin O'Brien Lawn, the son of longtime Yankees vice president and chief of operations Jack Lawn, who passed away in 1999.

Services scheduled: The funeral services for William Mattingly, the father of Yankees bench coach Don Mattingly, will be held Friday in Indiana.

Torre said that Mattingly plans to return to Tampa on Friday evening, rejoining the club for Saturday's game. William Mattingly passed away Tuesday after undergoing several brain surgeries this week.

This and that: The Yankees reassigned right-hander Tyler Clippard to Minor League camp. Clippard fashioned a 1.35 ERA over three spring appearances. ... Outfielder Bobby Abreu (strained right oblique) is expected to take batting practice Friday, Torre said. ... Catcher Wil Nieves (sore right forearm) played catch on Thursday and is expected to return to game action over the weekend.

Coming up: The Yankees travel to Kissimmee, Fla., to see the Astros on Friday, facing off at 1:05 p.m. ET. Right-hander Chien-Ming Wang is scheduled to start for New York, with right-hander Woody Williams going for Houston.

Right-handers Kyle Farnsworth and Luis Vizcaino are slated to relieve for the Yankees. The Astros plan to use right-handers Chris Sampson and Dave Borkowski, plus left-hander Trever Miller.

MLB ERA
    PHILLIES 3, YANKEES 2
    at Clearwater, Fla.
    Saturday, March 17
    Yankees at the plate: Miguel Cairo drove in New York's first run with a two-out single in the second inning. The run was set up by a Chase Utley error on a fielder's choice grounder. Bronson Sardinha drove in a run with a bases-loaded walk in the seventh.

Phillies at the plate: Philadelphia took the lead in the seventh inning on Aaron Rowand's two-run single. Andy Phillips' error on a Carlos Ruiz grounder leading off the sixth led to the Phillies first run, when Jimmy Rollins grounded into a double play.

Yankees on the mound: Andy Pettitte showed off midseason form by cruising through five scoreless innings, allowing two hits and striking out four.

Phillies on the mound: Jamie Moyer's scoreless innings streak ended at nine, when he allowed a unearned run in the second inning. Matt Smith looked sharp for 1 2/3 innings, allowing a hit.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 10-6-1; Phillies 7-9-1.

Up next: The Phillies are in split-squad action on Sunday afternoon at 1:05 ET. Brett Myers gets the ball when the Phillies host the Rays, while prospect J.A. Happ heads to Fort Myers to face the Twins.

Mike Mussina pitches at Legends Field on Sunday against the Pirates at 1:15 p.m.

MLB ERA
    CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Don't get Robinson Cano wrong. Cano grinned plenty when he popped his first home run of the spring this week, and for that matter, he probably smiles as much as any Yankee.

But while the 24-year-old second baseman has his stroke intact, batting .333 with nine RBIs in Grapefruit League play, he harbors a sneaking suspicion that his next slump could be right around the corner.

"Let me tell you something: I'm always worried," Cano said. "If you get two hits today, sometimes you don't get hits for the next five or 10 games. I'm always worried how it's going to be the next game. It's not easy -- just go into the game and get some hits. I'm always worried about how it's going to be."

The Yankees have no such qualms about Cano's play. After he finished third in the American League batting race last season, New York is looking for big things from the All-Star as he plays his third Major League season.

A compact left-handed batter who hit 15 home runs in 482 at-bats last season, Cano has a stroke that some have suggested could be ripe to add power potential in future seasons.

His three-run shot off Houston's Woody Williams on Friday wasn't exactly an aberration, though Cano said he continues to simply try to drive the ball for doubles. In a lineup flush with power hitters, Cano said he is content to stick to the form that has made him one of the game's most dynamic young hitters.

"It's a different game than that," Cano said. "I wish to improve my power, but not in a home run way. Sometimes I'll try [to hit home runs in batting practice], but I'm a line-drive hitter."

Yankees manager Joe Torre said that he hasn't seen any signs of slowing from Cano, who continues to report to Legends Field three times a week for early-morning defensive drills with infield coach Larry Bowa -- an exercise package that Cano believes has helped him markedly.

A contractual bargain for the Yankees, having signed a one-year contract worth $490,000 earlier this month, Cano still exhibits an innocent, joyful approach to the game that Torre said is "great to see."

"You sense if somebody's forcing the issue," Torre said. "We've talked to him about several things in regard to hitting and his contract, all that stuff. We've tried to cover all the bases. He seems to be having fun. Hopefully that's the case."

Two for the show: Torre has a tough decision on deck as he prepares to officially name his Opening Day starter -- an event that could take place on Thursday, he said.

One day after Chien-Ming Wang's sinkers picked up midseason break, according to catcher Todd Pratt, Andy Pettitte retired the final 13 Phillies he faced in the Yankees' 3-2 loss at Bright House Networks Field on Saturday.

"It was a tough day to pitch," said Pettitte, who walked none and struck out four. "It was real windy out on the mound. The ball was pretty slick and I was fighting myself early on to get a feel for the strike zone."

Pettitte said he was kicking himself after the first few innings, admitting frustration after falling behind early in the count and missing with his offspeed pitches.

The left-hander found his groove by the middle innings. No Phillies batter reached base against Pettitte after Chase Utley's first-inning double. Pettitte has now put up 10 scoreless innings in three starts this spring.

"I was able to come back and throw strikes when I needed to," Pettitte said. "It was a good outing. Any time you go out and put zeroes up, you've got to feel decent about it."

Pettitte said that the chilly conditions in Clearwater on Saturday -- temperatures in the 60s and a brisk breeze -- were a good reminder of what awaits him for his New York reintroduction next month.

He added that whether it happens on Opening Day or later on in the team's first homestand, Pettitte's return to the Yankee Stadium mound will be an event for him to remember.

"It's always an honor," Pettitte said. "That would be special. For me, no matter when I pitch, that start for me is going to be like my Opening Day to get back on that mound."

In the swing: Torre remained behind at Legends Field on Saturday morning to watch Bobby Abreu take batting practice for the first time since straining his right oblique on Feb. 26.

Abreu batted in a group that included Cano and Alex Rodriguez on Field 2, completing a full session that was satisfactory to Torre's concerns.

"He even had a couple of semi-check swings in there," Torre said. "That was good. ... He didn't look like he was favoring [one side]. The first few swings he was cautious, but once he was comfortable, he was fine."

The Yankees are optimistic that Abreu -- projected as New York's starting right fielder -- could return to action Thursday at Sarasota. That would give him 10 straight Grapefruit League games leading into the regular season, which Torre said would be enough time to get into hitting shape.

"This is something that we'd really go slow even if it was during the season," Torre said. "You know that a setback is usually a pretty good setback. You're never going to know for sure until you play the game."

Good news for Phillips: After being injured in a serious car accident, Linda Phillips, the mother of the Yankees' Andy Phillips, was released from a Birmingham, Ala., hospital on Thursday, the infielder said.

Though doctors say it will be two to three months before she can attempt to walk again, Phillips said that knowing his mother is resting comfortably is a load off of his mind.

"It was a big day when she got to go home," Phillips said. "To get to see her progress, that was special. She's feeling a little worn out right now, but she was happy to be able to get up and go home."

Phillips played third base behind Pettitte and Carl Pavano on Saturday in Clearwater -- a position he played in the Minor Leagues, but is out of practice at -- in an attempt to garner more at-bats after missing a week away from the team. Phillips went 1-for-4 but committed an error, leading to an unearned run.

Before the game, Torre said that Phillips would be capable of serving as an emergency fill-in at either second or third bases, offering "a little more versatility" than Josh Phelps, the right-handed-hitting first baseman who is fighting Phillips to win a platoon role on the Yankees' roster.

Phelps, however, has the ability to serve as an emergency catcher. He last caught in a game in 2002 with the Blue Jays, but Phelps said he helped warm up pitchers as recently as last season at Triple-A Toledo in the Tigers chain.

Either way, Torre said that the decision might come down to the last week of camp.

"It's just a process," Torre said.

On track: Catcher Wil Nieves (right forearm soreness) went through batting exercises Saturday at Legends Field and is expected to return to game action sometime in the middle of next week, as early as Tuesday.

Coming up: The Yankees host the Pirates on Sunday at Legends Field, facing off at 1:15 p.m. ET. Right-hander Mike Mussina is scheduled to start New York's 18th game of the exhibition season, with left-hander Zach Duke going for Pittsburgh.

The Yankees plan to use right-handers Mariano Rivera and Luis Vizcaino in relief.

MLB ERA
    BLUE JAYS 9, YANKEES 1
    at Dunedin, Fla.
    Monday, March 19
    Yankees at the plate: New York tallied six hits, but it managed only one run against Toronto. The Yankees' lone run came when first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz drove in Robinson Cano on a double-play groundout in the fourth inning.

Blue Jays at the plate: Second baseman Aaron Hill sent a ball bouncing off the left-field wall for a two-run double in the second inning that gave Toronto an early, 2-0, lead. Catcher Gregg Zaun capped off a seven-run fifth inning with a three-run home run to right off New York reliever Chris Britton.

Yankees on the mound: Right-hander Jeff Karstens allowed four runs on six hits, including three doubles, in 4 1/3 innings for the Yankees. Karstens, who hadn't given up any runs before Monday's outing, threw 75 pitches (50 for strikes) and struck out two in the outing. Britton allowed four runs on three hits in one-third of an inning.

Blue Jays on the mound: Right-hander Tomo Ohka, who is in the running for a spot in Toronto's rotation, allowed one run on three hits in five innings. Ohka threw 64 pitches, including 37 strikes, and he struck out two with one walk. Right-hander Victor Zambrano added four scoreless frames.

Grapefruit League records: Yankees 11-7-1; Blue Jays 7-10-2.

Up next: After an off-day on Tuesday, Toronto right-hander Josh Towers is scheduled to make his fourth start of Spring Training when the Blue Jays host the Phillies at 7:05 p.m. ET on Wednesday at Knology Park.

The Yankees are back at home to see the Phillies on Tuesday, facing off at 7:15 p.m. Left-hander Kei Igawa is scheduled to start for New York, with right-hander Zack Segovia going for Philadelphia.

MLB ERA
    Victor Zambrano threw four scoreless innings? Eek...

Anyway, Karstens has been pitching well all spring so I won't get worried about one bad start.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    im not worried about one bad outing either but... he wasnt gonna make the major league roster even if he was perfect for the spring. thats mindblowing to me, even with him being completely unhittable in his previous outings, joe torre said that pavano and igawa had the final 2 spots regardless.

either way though, he looked awesome before today, to the point i have more confidence in him at this point than pavano or igawa... though both of them intrigue me far more than they did a month ago.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    evidently i was wrong, which shouldnt be a shock to anyone, and evidently igawas start tonight means quite alot towards who will be the 5th starter (igawa or karstens). he shows good movement, inconsistent control, but hes kept the phils off the board through 2 so far.

MLB ERA
    Seems he's always shown good movement and inconsistent control...I've been hearing a lot about his control being good too. idk what the deal with that is.

MLB ERA
    TWINS 4, YANKEES 3
    at Fort Myers, Fla.
    Tuesday, March 27
    Twins at the plate: Luis Castillo drove in two runs on a single to center field in the second inning. With Castillo's 1-for-3 day Tuesday, the second baseman is hitting .438 for the spring. Jeff Cirillo also tallied two hits on the day.

Yankees at the plate: Bobby Abreu belted his second home run of the spring in the first inning as he took Twins starter Boof Bonser deep to right field. Josh Phelps added another long ball to lead off the second. Phelps then drove in the go-ahead run with a single in eighth.

Twins on the mound: Bonser delivered another strong performance in his quest to earn the No. 2 spot in the Twins rotation. The right-hander pitched six innings, allowing two runs on four hits while walking two and striking out seven. Dennys Reyes pitched one scoreless inning, allowing just one hit. Right-hander Pat Neshek gave up one run on two hits, walking one and striking out three in one inning.

Yankees on the mound: Carl Pavano, the expected Opening Day starter for the Yankees, pitched six innings and allowed two runs on six hits while walking one. Colter Bean pitched one inning, walking two batters and striking out one.

Grapefruit League records: Twins 11-16-1; Yankees 14-10

Up next: The Twins will host the Red Sox in a 6:05 p.m. CT contest on Wednesday. The game will feature yet another pitching duel this spring between Twins ace Johan Santana and Boston's top hurler, Curt Schilling.

The Yankees will return to Tampa to host the Astros in a 7:15 p.m. ET game. Right-hander Darrell Rasner will get the start for New York as he faces Astros right-hander Brian Moehler.

Good to see that Pavano pitched well in his final tuneup before a likely *gulp* Opening Day start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12