Thread: Abreu out two weeks

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees Abreu out two weeks

TAMPA, Fla. -- Yankees right fielder Bobby Abreu is expected to miss at least two weeks after straining his right oblique during batting practice Monday, an injury manager Joe Torre said won't cause the team to make a new push for Bernie Williams to report.

Torre said Abreu will be ready for Opening Day.

"He didn't feel anything until he was hitting," Torre said. "It's just one of those things. I guess the good news is it's early. You can afford a couple weeks right now."

Abreu was scheduled to undergo tests Monday.

Torre said there are no plans to contact Williams, who rejected the Yankees' offer of a minor league contract and spring training invite.

"This is something that we're not looking at as long-term," Torre said of Abreu's injury. "When you're dealing with two weeks in spring training, you're certainly not going to throw up any flags."

After a telephone conversation during the first week of spring training Torre left two messages for Williams, but hasn't heard back.
    Better to be now than in the regular season.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Is it me or does it kinda seem like Bernie is being a dik? Maybe I missed something.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

better now that Abreu is hurt then later in the season when it counts, huh Yankee fans? that would be the attitude I take if it were one of my key guys on my team.

AAA ERA
    As long as it doesn't linger, missing some time in ST is not a big deal but they need to make sure he is 100% before he comes back so he doesn't keep hurting it and then start missing reg season games.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard View Post
    Is it me or does it kinda seem like Bernie is being a dik? Maybe I missed something.
    Well, he did decline their offer of a minor league deal but that's understandable...I guess what he wants is a guaranteed contract, which they can't give him because there simply is no spot for him. If anybody thinks the Yankees owe him something, I don't think they do simply because they brought him back last year after a terrible 2005 basically as a goodwill gesture. Looks to me like he will retire though.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

yea, a MLC can't be what Bernie is looking for.