Thread: Brown Out

MLB ERA

Brown Out

Only the Yankees can lose a $15 million pitcher and find a significant upgrade from within.

That will happen if Kevin Brown has to be dropped from the rotation and replaced by Jaret Wright. After staying away from injury all spring, Brown closed out the exhibition season yesterday against the Tigers by calling it quits after three hard-to-look-at innings in which his velocity was below 80 mph and his body language screamed "discomfort!"

The veteran right-hander said his back felt "stiff and achy" after giving up four runs and six hits in three frames of a 4-3 loss. GM Brian Cashman said Brown complained of stiffness in his hips.

Whatever. When it comes to Brown's 40-year-old body, you can pick a part and it has a chance to be stiff and achy.

The bottom line is Brown is hurt again and is not somebody the Yankees can count on. As his teammates dressed for a flight to New York last night, Brown remained in Florida and today will travel to Macon, Ga., to work with the physical therapist who delivered Brown to spring training feeling positive about his back.

"We're going to take it one day at a time," Cashman said.

"There was no reason to stay out there with the way I felt," said Brown, who finished spring training with a 1-2 record and a devilish 6.66 ERA. "I didn't want to take a chance to make it real bad. I wasn't moving around the way I wanted to move. I took a step back to move forward."

But can Brown move forward? At his age and with his history, it's not likely. As for him making his scheduled start Friday against the Orioles, Brown didn't know.

"I can't give you an estimation one way or another," Brown said.

Throughout camp, even when he was hit hard by the Pirates, Brown always pointed out that he was healthy. But warming up in the bullpen yesterday, he knew something was wrong.

"I was a little stiff to begin with," Brown said. "As I warmed up I never felt like it loosened up. It hasn't been as good as it has been the last few days."

Anointed the fourth starter ahead of Wright this past week, Brown could go in several directions. He could rest until April 15 against the Orioles and take Wright's spot. Or Brown could be headed to the DL and replaced by Chien-Ming Wang, a right-hander who opened eyes this spring, or Jorge DePaula, who is coming off surgery. If neither pans out, the Yankees will begin searching for pitching help akin to the Reds' Paul Wilson. If they wait until the Astros fall out of contention, there is the possibility of Roger Clemens donning Pinstripes again.

As for Wright, he was the Yankees' most impressive starter in camp and finished it off with four scoreless innings of relief yesterday. In five games he was 3-0 with an 0.86 ERA.

"It's not something you want, to get in by default," said Wright, who signed a three-year, $21 million contract during the offseason. "I want to pitch like Brownie and everybody else. First and foremost, I hope he is OK."

Brown, who battled back trouble, an intestinal parasite and broke his left hand by foolishly punching a wall last year, was asked how disappointed he was.

"It's kind of impossible to tell you it's not disappointing," Brown said. "If it's not disappointing, I wouldn't be here in the first place."

Now he may not be in the Yankees rotation at all.

"It's not as severe [as last year]," Brown said. "And I don't want it to get to that point." http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/43661.htm

I wouldn't doubt if he retires soon or after this season. He's 40, injured, and had a semi-great career. I liked Wright when he was with the Braves and I think he'll provide great replacement.

AA ERA
    Yea and if Wright sucks the Yankees will go out and trade for someone new. Heh. Still keeping him healthy would be better.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Healthy Brown would definitely be good, but he's always been injured and I don't expect any different.

Brown has let me down...I don't have as much respect for him anymore.

I like him when he can pitch and has his attitude under control. I remember back with the Dodgers when he punched the wall and was out for sometime cause he broke his hand. His bad attitude, has made me lose some respect for him. But nonetheless a good pitcher when healthy.

MLB.com: Brown officially put on 15 day DL

NEW YORK -- Kevin Brown didn't even make it to Opening Day. The Yankees placed the right-hander on the disabled list with a strained back on Sunday afternoon.

Brown had no troubles with his balky back until the final week of Spring Training, when he felt some stiffness during his second-to-last start. He removed himself from his final start on Friday after just three innings, trying to limit any damage he might have done.

The 40-year-old went 1-2 with a 6.66 ERA in six starts this spring.

good