Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Joek,

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    The entire point of what it takes to win and be the best has gone right over your head and passed you by. True individual achievement is in the winning and doing what is needed to help the team win. Not in any personal stat.

Nobody is denying the fact that the best players win.

We're challeging your method of valuing individual players based ONLY on past team success. We're also challenging the fact that you're actually employed by the Yankees.
    Last edited by Hmark6; 05-19-2005 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling

ERA
    Call NASA
    Challenge anything you wish.

If you do not deny that the best players win, the debate is over, and you have seen the light.

Team success is created by the best players doing what it takes to win. Team success equals the best players.

I am not employed by the YANKEES, I am employed by Mr.S. who is the YANKEES.

AAA ERA
    Building a baseball team should not (and does not) begin and end with finding a guy that was on a couple of pennant winning teams. If you need a guy that can steal a few bags, then you go out and get a guy that can steal a few bags regarless of what team he currently or formerly played for. Now given a choice, for example, between a base-stealer with playoff experience, and a base-stealer on a bottom feeder, then your method might apply.

Point is: Don't be so arrogant to say that the only tool relavent to team building is the win method (assuming its exists in MLB, but that is for another debate). And don't be so full of yourself as to claim responsability for the Yankees success over the last 10 years. WIN Method is certainly not the end-all be-all of the New York Yankees. You can't make those claims in public (especially to New Yorkers) and not expect to be met with criticism.

ERA
    Call NASA

Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    Point is: Don't be so arrogant to say that the only tool relavent to team building is the win method (assuming its exists in MLB, but that is for another debate). And don't be so full of yourself as to claim responsability for the Yankees success over the last 10 years. WIN Method is certainly not the end-all be-all of the New York Yankees. You can't make those claims in public (especially to New Yorkers) and not expect to be met with criticism.
    Your opinion and views are always welcome, but please do not erroring express mine.
    To fill the boards with mis-information and trying to mis-represent anothers views and opinions is a sad way to debate and it tends to embarrass you.

1. I never stated the WIN METHOD was the only tool relavent to team building. I did, and do state, it is the best method.
    2. I claim responsibility for the development of the WIN METHOD. I claim responsibility for convincing and selling it to Mr.S. I claim responsibility for getting the deal renewed for another ten years, based on its overwhelming success. I do not make the deals, trades, and signings, I do give my opinions and recommendations to Mr.S. and he takes it from there.
    3. I can take and accept any criticism. And I have learned and will promote to my dying day that the best players WIN. The reason the game should be played for.

Actually in your method the best players don't always win. For example Kevin Millar is not the best 1B in the business. But in your mind, Millar is better than a Carlos Delgado because he happened to be on a crap team while Millar just rode the Red Sox to a championship.

ERA
    Call NASA
    On the contrary. In fact, Millar did what is required to be the best, he helped his team to the playoffs, win the pennant, and then win the WS. I cannot help what you think and feel. I deal in reality and facts.

Just because a player wins the WS doesnt mean that HE is the best. HE was on the BEST TEAM but that doesn't necessarily make him the BEST PLAYER. Get your facts right buddy.

ERA
    Call NASA
    The object of the game is to win the WS. Only the best win the WS. Get your facts right buddy.

You are WRONG. Single players can't win World series teams do. In which case, the best players don't necessarily win championships...the best teams do. Get YOUR facts right.

:*****slap:

Go get 'em, tiger.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

ERA
    Call NASA
    The roster for the championship team consists of what, chipmunks, monkeys, cows? That's right, you think they are poor players who just got lucky over 162 games and lucked out thru the playoffs. No sir, the roster consists of the best players in the game doing what it takes as a TEAM. Making the playoffs, winning the pennant, and winning the WS. Those are the FACTS.

The best players in every position weren't on the red sux. To name a few, tim hudson, randy johnson, JAKE PEAVY, Josh Beckett, Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Ichiro Suzuki.

ERA
    Call NASA
    You mention many fine players, and I laud what they have accomplished. I just rate players who win the World Championship for their team at a higher level. Isn't that the object of the game? If yes, then the players who play 170+ games to accomplish this goal, are the best.

I believe that if you replaced Jake Peavy with Tim Wakefield you would have the same outcome. I don't like your method because a good player such as Peavy will never be a good player in your system unless he is put onto a good team. Your method seems to be the team with the most money who can get the best players will win. Just because a player is on a great team doesn't mean he is the best player. A championship is a team accomplishment not an individual one.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    by your logic joek, that would mean Doug "I'm a back-up" Mirabelli would be the 2nd best catcher in the majors because he was on the team that happened to win the championship...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast