Thread: Torre invites Bernie to ST

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Torre invites Bernie to ST

OK honestly...I love Bernie Williams as much as anyone. But if I hear one more story about this, I think I'm going to explode. I've heard enough of Bernie and spring training and whatnot. We have MUCH BIGGER PROBLEMS than whether or not Bernie Williams makes the team. Would love to see him here but enough is enough already.

TAMPA, Fla. - Joe Torre can't guarantee Bernie Williams a roster spot, but he assured the longtime Yankee over the phone Wednesday that if he shows up at spring training, he will have a legitimate shot to make the team.

Torre did not know if he was able to persuade Williams to accept the Yankees' non-roster invitation, especially considering that at the start of the call, Williams was leaning toward declining it.

But with Williams on Torre's cell phone in the car Wednesday afternoon, having finally returned Torre's repeated voice-mail messages, the manager took the opportunity to encourage one of his favorite players to think about his decision.

"The only thing I stressed to him is that if you want to continue to play, you can't do it staying up there," Torre said yesterday. "We have to see. It doesn't mean that you have to hit .400. I think it's what we see more so than what the numbers are."

Torre estimated that the call lasted about 20 minutes, and he expects to touch base with Williams again as early as today or tomorrow.

The Yankees' position players report Sunday, and Torre said it's in Williams' best interests to be in camp from the start. "He's digesting it," Torre said.

Although Williams does not want to go to spring training needing to compete for a roster spot, Torre made it clear to the media that he would be open to finding ways to carry the 38-year-old outfielder.

The way general manager Brian Cashman has constructed the roster entering camp, there is no room for Williams because the team plans to carry 12 pitchers and employ a platoon at first base so Jason Giambi can be made a full-time designated hitter. That leaves room for only one reserve outfielder, Melky Cabrera.

But Torre yesterday mentioned several scenarios that would make room for Williams, including using Giambi at first base, making lefthanded-hitting Doug Mientkiewicz the everyday first baseman or using Miguel Cairo as the righthanded part of a first-base platoon.

All of those scenarios most likely would mean the roster spot that Andy Phillips and Rule 5 selection Josh Phelps are vying for would go to Williams, as long as he proves to the team that he still is capable of performing. "It's how many first basemen are we going to carry," Torre said. "That's where the choices will come from."

Addressing his various options at first base, Torre said, "I don't think that I would be afraid to play Mientkiewicz . He's always played both ways ... If we see Jason as a first baseman, that all of a sudden opens up a spot, too."

But still, Torre said the ever-sensitive Williams is concerned about winning a spot.

"He's never had to compete," Torre said. "He's never had to make a job for himself on the 25-man roster. It's something we talked about and it's new for him."

Williams clearly still has the desire to continue playing after performing well last season in extended playing time because of the wrist injuries to Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui. Williams hit .281 with 12 home runs and 29 doubles in 420 at-bats.

"He said he was working out at home, but that doesn't do us any good," Torre said. " ... I just gave him some food for thought, with no promises."

But if Williams comes to camp, it seems as if he would have a strong shot.

Torre acknowledged that the possibility of calling Williams into his office to cut him is not the least bit appealing. "It would be tough for me if we had to say goodbye," he said.

And although Williams' situation with the Yankees remains tenuous, Torre knows he won't consider playing elsewhere, so much so that he didn't even ask him about that.

Williams signed with the Yankees on his 17th birthday in 1985. "He's been a Yankee his whole life," Torre said, "and that's the way he wants it to be."
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA
    Get used to it and other non stories during ST, there's not much to really talk about so they have to blow up any stories they can get.

MLB ERA
    Better than hearing about Roger Clemens.