Thread: Looks like the end for Bernie

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Looks like the end for Bernie

NEW MILFORD, Conn. - One of the most revered Yankees of this generation acknowledged last night that it finally looks like "Bye-bye, Bernie."

Longtime outfielder Bernie Williams admitted that he is not inclined to take the Yankees up on their recent offer to head to spring training later this month on a minor-league contract, with no guarantee of making their Opening Day roster.

"I don't know about that. I may be leaning towards 'No,' " Williams, also a talented jazz guitarist, said before performing in a fund-raising concert with singer Chynna Phillips at the Faith Church. "I think if (the Yankees) wanted to have me on the team, they probably would've signed me already.

"The option to go to spring training to see what would happen, I don't think at this moment is something I want to consider. . . . I'm working out, but I think the way it looks right now, it doesn't seem like I'm going to be playing with that team this year."

The Yanks have remained steadfast all winter in their plan to carry 12 pitchers this season to lessen the burden on their bullpen, while expecting to use Jason Giambi as their full-time DH. GM Brian Cashman also decided against trading fourth outfielder Melky Cabrera for relief help in December, leaving little room for Williams barring a trade or injury to one of the Bombers' three starting outfielders - Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon and Bobby Abreu.

"It's just a part of the game. They have a responsibility to make decisions for the benefit of the club. And I guess in their mind they have their way of thinking," said Williams, baseball's all-time leader in postseason home runs (22) and RBI (80). "That's what makes this game interesting.

"I have to do what's best for me and my family. And they have a responsibility to the fans to do the best they think for the team. . . . I think I know what they have on their minds, based on the way they have handled this situation."

Perhaps a recruiting call from Joe Torre or one of Williams' longtime teammates could change his mind, but Williams, who hit .281 with 12 homers and 61 RBI in 131 games for the Yanks last season, stressed that he hasn't spoken to Cashman "in about two months," adding cryptically at one point that he "heard somewhere that they had invited me to spring training, I guess."

Agent Scott Boras indicated earlier this week that several other teams have expressed interest in the 38-year-old Williams, who has 2,336 hits and a .297 batting average since arriving in the Bronx as a rookie in 1991. Still, the four-time Gold Glove Award winner and four-time World Series champion intimated last night that he doesn't envision trying to prolong his career in another uniform.

"No, not at all. Not at this point," Williams said when asked if he's contemplating switching teams. "I basically need to make sure I know for sure what the Yankees are thinking and if I'm going to get an opportunity to play for that team this year."

Williams, a five-time All-Star, didn't entirely rule out the possibility of heading to the Yanks' Tampa training complex later this month. But before taking the stage last night, he certainly sounded as if he's ready to fully devote himself to his musical career.

"I'm just focusing on not missing too many notes here tonight. And I'll try to figure out what I want to do a little later," said Williams, one of just seven Yankees to play at least 16 seasons in the Bronx.
    There just isn't any room for him. He could still be a potentially productive hitter but he can't play the field very well and they have too many hitters already. I love Bernie as much as anyone but baseball is a business, you gotta remember that. I just hope he doesn't sign with another team instead. It would be painful to see him in a different uniform.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    i appreciate what bernie has done for us over the years, but i cant help but notice the similarities to bernie as a young ball player, to melky as a young ball player... melky of course has a considerably stronger arm. cant sacrifice bringing him towards his future, to allow bernie to hang on for another half year.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Bernie is a great Yankee, the best centerfielder since Mickey Mantle.