Thread: Yankees invite Bernie to spring training

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees invite Bernie to spring training

Bernie Williams' great Yankees career just might end with a soap opera he didn't bargain for.

SI.com has learned that the Yankees have made Williams a standing offer to come to spring training as a non-guaranteed, nonroster invite. While this wasn't anything close to what he was hoping or looking for, all indications are that he is considering the proposal.

Williams still could decide to retire, too. But the third option, which is to sign a better deal with another team, seems to be out of the question.

Though Williams could have gotten a guaranteed contract elsewhere, people close to him say he considers himself a Yankee and only a Yankee.

But right now he's still grappling with hurt feelings. He sits at home in Westchester County, his pride stinging. He recently told the Westchester Journal News, "When you give a large chunk of your life to a team, it is hard. It's not like I'm a journeyman.''

Williams knows that if he decides to return for what amounts to a tryout, through no fault of his own he becomes the story of spring, superseding returning hero Andy Pettitte, at least until Roger Clemens decides whether to rejoin them. But if Williams retires, he might have regrets about leaving too soon. He was productive last year (.281, 12, 61), maybe more so than the Yankees remember.

New York's current roster plan includes 12 pitchers, three first basemen (generously counting Jason Giambi as a first baseman) and no guaranteed deal for Williams. But don't count him out if he comes to camp. Manager Joe Torre always has been a Williams fan, and while Torre may have slightly diminishing clout, his voice should still count more than the detractors, who wonder how much Williams can contribute in a limited role.

The potential soap opera might have been avoided if only the Yankees continued to give Giambi time at first base. But alas, they have seen the light there. As a first baseman, Giambi makes a terrific DH.

The soap opera might also have been avoided had the Yankees felt that young Andy Phillips was ready to play first base full time. But Phillips had a disappointing first full season offensively, thus prompting the Yankees to sign Doug Mientkiewicz to platoon with him at first.

The Yankees' belief is that Mientkiewicz gives them better flexibility and glovework, and he probably does do that. But Mientkiewicz was terrible offensively as a Met, mediocre as a Royal and definitely is declining faster than Williams.

Mientkiewicz also is recalled as Boston's Ball Hog, who thought he had a right to the 2004 World Series ball simply because he hoarded it afterward. He also drew criticism for being overly talkative with the Mets, considering that he was the worst everyday player on the team. He ripped them as losers on his way to Kansas City (the Mets, incidentally, were on their way to the NLCS).

In what was a pretty good winter, one in which the Yankees improved their future and clubhouse, Mientkiewicz is their one hard-to-understand signing. It's difficult to believe Mientkiewicz is the one who stands in the way of Williams staying a Yankee. But for now, he is.

In any case, Mientkiewicz has a guaranteed contract, so the Yankees will feel obligated to carry him for half a year, at least. But Williams' presence in spring could force the Yankees either to drop Phillips or, more likely, go with only 11 pitchers.

Williams is great in the clubhouse and still pretty good on the field. If Williams takes the Yankees up on their offer, maybe they'd be too embarrassed to cut him. Or maybe they'd just start to remember what Williams still brings something to the team.
    I don't know what they can do to keep him on the team, but for sentimental reasons at least I hope he's around. It's good to see he doesn't want to sign with another team though.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He'd still be more productive than many many other outfielders/DHs.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If Doug M. is the reason the Yankees end up not signing Bernie Williams, the MLB world will have been turned completely upside down.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Awesome...I am glad I would hate to see him leave the Yankees. He is the legend and a long time hero. I am not sure how much he will help the team though....he will probably help them the most in the clubhouse and vocally.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    He should retire and become a coach.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Always liked Bernie and wish him well in his decision for the '07 year! I feel he would make an excellent coach in the future!

MLB ERA
    He wouldn't be much better than the average AAA outfielder. Hang it up, Bernie.

AAA ERA
    I don't think he'll accept this invote and I think he'll announce his retirement though if they suffer some OF injuries again i think thye will bring him back. I love bernie, one of my all-time favorite Yankees but at some point you do have to let old, popular players go if they don't decide it for themselves.

MLB ERA
    I'd hate to see him have to battle for a spot. However, we do need him in terms of a clubhouse persona, but any poor performance would devastate our fanbase.

I hope he retires...

MLB ERA
    As I have said before, Doug Mientkiewicz may be a decent 1B defensively, but I wouldn't count on him playing more than 100 games next season, due to his back problems. If he is the only thing standing in Bernie Williams' way to make the team, I would dump him, especially if he struggles offensively and cannot move the way he used to defensively. Dougie is definitely on his way down (remember, I'm a Twins' fan and liked him as a Twin).
    As to Bernie playing with another team, I don't think it would be right. He's a Yankee and should remain one or retire.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Free agent Bernie Williams indicated Friday that he's leaning towards passing on the Yankees' offer of a minor league contract.
    "I think if they wanted to have me on the team, they would have signed me already," he said. "Having the option to go to spring training to see what would happen is something that... I don’t think at this moment it’s something I want to consider." Williams has major leaguer offers on the table from other teams. It's believed the Phillies are one of the teams with interest.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    good, i dont want him taking away bats from melky. thanks bernie for your past acheivements, go make a new cd or some such.