Thread: The Future is Now

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The Future is Now

Interesting read here.

By GEORGE KING
    February 11, 2007 -- Sexy issues constantly smother the Yankees universe. Big-ticket talent has a way of bringing them with it.

However, it's hard to recall a recent spring training in Tampa that will be accentuated by so many important issues, a few that could lead to the end of the Yankees' run of nine straight AL East titles.

With pitchers and catchers reporting to Legends Field on Tuesday, here is a look at the five biggest Yankees issues:

JOE TORRE'S FUTURE

After having to re-apply for his job following the playofff loss to Detroit, Torre enters his 12th season without a contract for next season. That makes him a lame-duck manager, and sports landscapes are littered with disasters associated to that phrase. The first question Tuesday in Torre's office will be, "Joe, do you want to manage next year?" If the answer is yes, the stage will be set for a year-long drama.

George Steinbrenner may not be as heavily involved as he was, but The Boss will determine Torre's fate.

If Torre wants to continue managing and doesn't get a tumble from the Yankees, he might not have to look far.

Should the Red Sox not make the playoffs for a second straight year, Terry Francona could pay for it. How good would the Red Sox feel with Torre in their dugout?

WILL A-ROD OPT OUT?

Alex Rodriguez says he is focused on winning a World Series title and is taking everything day to day. A-Rod will hit his 500th homer this year and can walk away from $72 million and the final three years of a contract and become a free agent. Don't think for a minute the Angels wouldn't break the bank for A-Rod.

He is sincere when he says he wants to win as a Yankee, but what happens if the Yankees don't make the postseason or are flushed out of the first round and A-Rod has a third straight poor October? He says he will veto any trade.

HOW MUCH MO?

Mariano Rivera, the MVP of the Torre Era, wants to pitch in the new Yankee Stadium, which opens in 2009. However, the Yankees haven't approached him with a deal that would keep him off the free-agent market after this season, when he will earn $10.5 million.

Rivera, 37, a likely first-ballot Hall of Famer, converted 34 of 37 save chances last year and, with 413 saves, is fourth on the all-time list. He is the primary reason for the Yankees winning nine straight AL East titles and has shown very little signs of slippage.

In March 2004, the Yankees signed Rivera to a two-year, $21 million extension with an option that vested for this season. The Yankees can keep this from becoming a running saga by signing Rivera to another two-year deal before the season starts. If they don't, expect a summer of uneasiness as Rivera marches toward free agency.

ANSWERING THE CARL

Carl Pavano insists he is ready to shed his label as "The American Idle" and start earning the $40 million the Yankees invested in him. The right-hander says his body is in shape and his mind is right.

We will see. GM Brian Cashman is counting on Pavano to be the fourth or fifth starter. However, Pavano hasn't been on a big-league mound since June 2005 due to a litany of injuries. Teammates are wary of his commitment to pitching. Even though the Yankees are thin in the rotation, if Pavano shows he is healthy in spring training, they could deal him. The Mariners and Cardinals have shown interest.

BRAND NEW KEI

What do the Yankees have in the $27-year-old lefty Kei Igawa, in whom they invested $46 million? Is he a back-end starter, reliever or destined to start the season in Triple-A?

People who have seen Igawa are impressed with his competitiveness but don't rave about his stuff. Ideally, he fits in behind Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte and Mike Mussina. But that might be asking a bit much at the start of the season. If he proves durable, Igawa could be valuable as a long man in the pen.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    sure sounds like theres raving reviews out there for igawa. that was easily the worst move of the offseason, they really just made it to answer the matsuzaka signing. it sure would be nice if pavano could pitch once or twice this contract as well. i appreciate that they dont want to rush hughes and humberto along, but dont bury them if they prove to be better than these two guys in spring training.

as long as manny is in boston, im not fearing joe going there. im pretty sure joe is gonna retire after this year... a world series would make that easy, but even if not, i think he'll call it quits, and then girardi or mattingly will take over next year. doesnt joe have a school aged child now? im sure hed like to spend some time with her.

i still dont think arod will opt out, he cares too much what people think of him and hed never be called the greatest player ever if he quit on new york.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    sure sounds like theres raving reviews out there for igawa. that was easily the worst move of the offseason, they really just made it to answer the matsuzaka signing.
    I haven't heard one good thing about Igawa yet. He better be a pleasant surprise or else this is just a complete waste of a contract. 5 years is awfully excessive for an unknown quantity too...maybe there's an option in there or something I don't know about? I sure hope so.

it sure would be nice if pavano could pitch once or twice this contract as well. i appreciate that they dont want to rush hughes and humberto along, but dont bury them if they prove to be better than these two guys in spring training.
    I have a bad feeling it's going to be tough not to rush them. Who knows what we're going to get out of Igawa or Pavano? The real question is who knows what Pavano will hurt this time. It's pretty sad that the M's and Cardinals have interest in him...I'd deal him away for a bag of balls and a chicken sandwich.

as long as manny is in boston, im not fearing joe going there. im pretty sure joe is gonna retire after this year... a world series would make that easy, but even if not, i think he'll call it quits, and then girardi or mattingly will take over next year. doesnt joe have a school aged child now? im sure hed like to spend some time with her.
    If you ask me, it's a bit outrageous to envision Torre in Boston. I think he retires no matter what after this year. Don't see him going anywhere else, and least of all the Sawx.

i still dont think arod will opt out, he cares too much what people think of him and hed never be called the greatest player ever if he quit on new york.
    I think another season like last one would do the trick, especially if he knows other teams would be willing to spend zillions of dollars on him. I certainly hope not though.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    the 5 years was extensive, the 26 million dollar negotiating fee was extensive, the 23 million dollars they gave him was extensive... im a cashman guy, obviously he mustve seen something in this guy, but nothing i read about him gives me any confidence. hes a gamer, with little if any stuff to get major league hitters out... great, the japanese aaron small.

i remember before we signed damon, and seattle was offering jeremy reed for carl pavano... i wanted to jump at that offer. not that reed hasnt declined in his own right, but pavanos stock has gotta be near nil at this point, i cant imagine the mariners offering anything close to reed again.

MLB ERA
    Igawa was probably a bad signing, but hey, he's still more attractive then Pavano.

As far as the other stuff, the only one I really care about is Mo. He's probably got 3-4 years left max. What are we going to do, he's irreplacable.