Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Random Yankees Ramblings

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees 2007 Random Yankees Ramblings

It's never too early.

Francisco Butto may be the lone Yankees prospect still playing consistently in winter ball, but he's representing the pinstripes well in Venezuela.
    The right-hander has appeared in more games for the Tigres de Aragua than any other pitcher currently participating in the Venezuelan Winter League playoffs. Butto has pitched in nine of the 12 postseason games for the 8-4 Tigres and he has a 1.13 ERA. He also leads the circuit with four saves in the playoffs.

Butto has not only dominated as a closer recently, he's been successful all winter. Combined with his regular-season numbers, the 26-year-old has come through with 18 saves in 35 appearances.

Right-hander Edwar Ramirez is also participating in winter ball playoffs in the Dominican Republic, but he faced just one batter early on in the postseason for the Tigres del Licey (7-5) and hasn't pitched since.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Sounds like he may be a possible option coming out of that pen in front of the man (Rivera, just in case you forgot who I was talking about)!!!! hahaha.

MLB ERA

Cano's No. 22 to be handed over...if...

This is a bit of a strange article, never really seen a pre-emptive number switch.

By MICHAEL MORRISSEY
    January 23, 2007 -- The Yankees are preparing for Roger Clemens - at least, numerically speaking.

Recently, the club asked All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano to hand over his No. 22 in the event of another Rocket launch in The Bronx, The Post confirmed yesterday.

Cano will switch to No. 24, and he's as eager as anyone to see the seven-time Cy Young Award winner in pinstripes again.

Cano's number already has been officially adjusted on the team roster, according to a source.

"I was happy to give up the number to a future Hall of Famer if Roger comes aboard," Cano said in a statement. "Hopefully, he will be one of my teammates, I'll have the pleasure of playing with him."

Moreover, indications are the Yankees already have relayed Cano's number switch to Clemens' camp - even if the 44-year-old righty has no imminent plans of making a decision of where to pitch in 2007, or whether to retire.

"No decision will be made until well after spring training, perhaps until after the season starts," agent Randy Hendricks wrote in an e-mail yesterday.

To preemptively ask a budding cornerstone to switch numbers indicates that the club must feel it has a strong likelihood of signing Clemens, a Yankee from 1999-2003. He wore the No. 22 after wearing No. 21 in Boston and Toronto.

In 1999 in The Bronx, Paul O'Neill wore No. 21. There won't be a similar problem when this season begins.

Cano, who had a terrific second half after returning from a hamstring injury, already had revealed himself as a selfless team player. Last winter, before the Yanks signed Johnny Damon, he volunteered to play center field if the club wanted.

MLB ERA
    According to a published report, MLB next week will officially announce the Yankees will host the 2008 All-Star Game. A press conference is expected a week from today. The announcement has been expected for some time.

robinson cano number 24...how delightful

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

is there big speculation that Clemens is going to be signed? I heard that the Yankees are willing to give into Clemens and allow him to stay home like the Astros did. See this is why I have problems with todays athletes. It is all about the indivdual, and not the team. Remember folks, this is a TEAM sport!!!! I sure hope the Yankees don't give into Clemens and allow him to stay home. One it is a team rule and they are setting a precedent for the future. That is one thing that I have always respected about George. Is this what winning has come to, by allowing the athletes and sports agents to call the shots and see who can come up with the most ridiculous contract demand? Please, these athletes are making huge $$$$$$$ to play a game for a living. They should be at all the games so the fans can see them in person and possibly get a signature or whatever. The players need to be part of the atmosphere of the game whether they are scheduled to pitch/play or not. What if the team the Yankees are playing and it is one of those marathon games and they need all available pitcher at the game. Come on Roger, be a TEAM player and be with the team you sign with, if you sign with the Yankees or any other team!!!

MLB ERA
    Cano took #24 because he idolizes Jackie Robinson, and obviously 42 isn't available.

You heard Damon might play 1st this year, so Melky can play more?

MLB ERA
    NEW YORK -- The Yankees have made it a point to tread delicately regarding Bernie Williams' future this winter.
    But with Spring Training drawing closer and no contract offers yet from the club, Williams is accepting the idea that his 16-year career with the Yankees may be over.

Williams made his first public comments of the offseason to the Journal-News of Westchester (N.Y.) for Thursday's editions, taking a break as he pursued one of his other great passions -- jazz music -- as a special guest performer at a suburban New York club.

"I have come to a place in my career where there are other things in my life that have become just as important as baseball," Williams told the Journal-News. "If this is the end, there are no regrets. I gave it my best shot. One of the things I've always wanted was to gain the respect from my teammates, and I think I've done that.

"I may be a little goofy at times, but nobody can say I didn't play the game hard."

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman didn't comment Thursday on the specifics of Williams' situation. Cashman has been in contact with Williams' agent, Scott Boras, regarding what options may or may not exist with the Yankees in 2007.

The roster, as currently comprised, does not appear to offer an opportunity for Williams. The Yankees project to enter the season with four outfielders, using Melky Cabrera to back up Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon and Bobby Abreu.

Cashman said that the Yankees recognize the importance of Williams' contributions to the organization and have attempted to handle developments accordingly.

"He's a very special player," Cashman said. "He's a unique individual that we're trying to take a great deal of time and effort as we go through the process."

Williams, 38, batted .281 with 12 home runs and 81 RBIs in 420 at-bats for New York in 2006, playing more than expected when Matsui and Gary Sheffield went down with injuries.

He has been waiting for the Yankees to make him an offer, but told the newspaper that he understands it may not appear.

"Part of me says if they wanted me, they would have made an offer by now," Williams told the Journal-News. "When you play this game for a long time, you take things for granted and think it won't end. But the harsh reality of it is, it will."

One possible scenario that has been floated would be to offer Williams a Minor League contract with a non-roster invitation to camp.

But Yankees catcher Jorge Posada -- who has been in contact with Williams frequently this offseason -- said earlier this week that he did not believe Williams would accept such a deal. Posada said Williams has received contract offers from other clubs, however.

Speaking in general terms regarding any potential late additions, Cashman said, "We continue to look at ways to see what fits for us at all times, every day. Our roster has the possibility of changing on a daily basis."
    Will certainly be sad to see him go.

MLB ERA
    SILENT ROCKET: Cashman still has not heard from Roger Clemens' camp about the pitcher's plans for 2007, but the GM stressed that the Yankees are interested in the seven-time Cy Young winner if he decides to play this season.

"They know where we sit and how we feel," Cashman said. "There has been no indication that he's definitely playing, let alone when he would decide to play. ... Anybody you ask that question to, other than Roger Clemens, it's just noise. Only he knows."
    Cashman said the Yankees are waiting to meet with Carl Pavano before deciding if any disciplinary action will be taken against the righthander for hiding his car accident from the club last August.
    Anything that can be done to get this guy away is good for me.

MLB ERA
    Agent Randy Hendricks confirmed that relief prospect J. Brent Cox suffered his broken right hand in an altercation.

The incident happened about five weeks ago, so Cox should be ready to pitch when the minor league season begins. Still, his decision to involve himself in a fight has cost him an invitation to major league camp.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

If Bernie thinks his career in NY is over, do Yankee fans think he will retire or try to catch on to with another club and DH? Bernie has always been one Yankee that I have respected and enjoyed watching play the game!!! He is one of my favorite Yankees, (yikes who just said that, as someone who has been known to bash the Yankees organiztion.) But as I have stated in the past, I do like several of the Yankee players past and present!

MLB ERA
    Counting down to pitchers and catchers.

February 14th is only a few weeks away!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Yeah. I knew I liked Valentine's Day for another reason other than my wife!! And that would be 2 weeks from Wednesday!!! Not that I am being nit picky! hahaha!

MLB ERA
    Source: Houston Chronicle

Meanwhile, Clemens said he hasn't decided if he'll pitch this year. He said he's not in good baseball shape, but doesn't plan on playing a full season, if he does pitch again.
    *sigh* Here we go again...

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I just wish the media would live him alone so he doesn't get the limelight. Lets concentrate on the era of players and let him wallow away too!!! It is time for the present and future, not the past. What else could Roger possibly want to accomplish in his career? Every year he plays this dumb game, I loose more and more respect for him. He has already gotten away with things than anyone has, like getting the team to allow him to stay home when they are on the road!! Just retire or play, but do it the way it is suppose to be done, as teammate!!! Go to spring training, travel, go to battle every game with your mates!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast