Thread: Wow. The Seattle Mariners are the dumbest team in baseball.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Wow. The Seattle Mariners are the dumbest team in baseball.

The Seattle Mariners, who entered play yesterday four games out in the AL West and the AL wild card, have been calling about every pitcher who might be available. And we mean every pitcher. Get this: They've actually contacted the Yankees to express interest in Kei Igawa. Remember, Igawa, who got sent to the minors Friday after his latest lousy start, is signed through 2011, and the Yankees' $26 million posting fee (the money they paid just so they could talk to him about that five-year, $20 million contract) is already paid -- i.e., a team acquiring him wouldn't have to pay any of it. Of course, that's exactly the reason the Yankees don't want to move Igawa -- they'd have paid him over $28 million for 11 starts. ...

The Yankees don't believe they can get Dotel, because they're not willing to give what Kansas City is asking in return. They're poking around Rangers reliever Eric Gagne, Astros reliever Chad Qualls and Tampa Bay reliever Al Reyes, but so are many others, and the Yankees are telling teams they think they can get by without adding a reliever.

"I don't think that's the worst thing that can happen," manager Joe Torre said last night in Baltimore. "Within the organization, whether it's here or developing below, I think we have the ability to fill the spots we need to fill. There are a lot of people getting healthier down there right now." He's referring to the culminating rehab stints of Phil Hughes and Jeff Karstens, and the team's possible plans to promote Joba Chamberlain to the majors and use him in relief down the stretch. ...

The Yankees are still looking for a couple of bench-type players, but they seem to have cooled on Oakland's Dan Johnson. "There are certainly a couple of players that look like they could fit here," Torre said. "And it's not something you're holding your breath to do. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen."
    TAKE HIM! PLEASE!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Wow. The Seattle Mariners are the dumbest team in baseball.

2 words. Horacio Ramirez.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    2 words. Horacio Ramirez.
    well... i dont think atlanta will give you rafael soriano back to give him to us for igawa.

AAA ERA

I don't think it's dumb at all, I think it's actually smart. His actual contract isn't bad, it was the posting fee that made this move look so bad and obviosuly Seattle wouldn't have to pay that. Igawa has some ability and you know the Yanks are almost desperate to get rid of him so they'd probably eat some salary.