Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Random Yankees Ramblings

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Prior to the 2004 season, by the Yankees' estimation, 10 players in their minor league system were projected to become -- at least -- solid big-leaguers.

Today, the Yankees forecast 23 players in that category.

"It's been a huge jump," said Mark Newman, Yankees' senior vice president for baseball operations. General manager Brian "Cashman has done a great job of acquiring prospects and maintaining ours."

Last year, Jorge Posada declared right-hander Phil Hughes as having the most electric arm in camp. Yankees' pitchers and catchers report in 13 days, and "there's some chance" that Hughes could make the club, Newman said.

Still, Hughes (who turns 21 in June) is projected to increase his minor league innings from 146 in 2006 to 175-180 this year, with an eye on impacting the Yankees' starting rotation in 2008.

"We view him as a long-term, high-end starter and we don't want to sacrifice the long term for a short-term gain," Newman said during a conference call Tuesday.

Hughes jumped to Class AA last season, and went 10-3 at Trenton, with a 2.25 ERA, 138 strikeouts and just 32 walks in 21 starts.

Newman called Hughes "probably the best young pitcher we've had in our organization since I've been here," though "until he does it in New York, he's still a prospect."

Newman rated newly acquired right-handers Humberto Sanchez (Gary Sheffield trade) and Ross Ohlendorf (Randy Johnson trade) as closest to the big leagues.

Former Seton Hall Prep standout Eric Duncan still rates as a top Yanks' prospect, despite a back injury last year that contributed to his demotion from Class AAA.
    Good to see us finally improving our minor league system. It's time to finally break the tradition of paying for veterans and trading the youth away. I'm excited to see what the young guys like Hughes, Sanchez, and Ohlendorf can do if they get a chance to hit the bigs.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Mussina deals advice to Pavano

The Yankees are counting on Carl Pavano to occupy one of the five spots in the rotation, at least until Roger Clemens makes up his mind about his future. Mike Mussina believes that Pavano will have more to do this spring than to prepare on the field, as he must do some work to win back the trust and respect of his teammates as well. Mussina, who was honored at last night's Thurman Munson Awards dinner at the Marriott Marquis, said that Pavano, who hasn't pitched in a big-league game since June 27, 2005, can salvage his relationship with his teammates by simply being in the clubhouse and taking the mound every five days.

"I think he has to do his job, just kind of be a new guy again," Mussina said. "He's been away a long time.... He's got to earn some trust from some players again, from a coaching staff and a manager. If he can do it, we know he can pitch and we know he can get people out. If he gets over those other hurdles, he'll be an asset."

Mussina enters the spring as part of a rotation that includes Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte, Kei Igawa and Pavano. The most notable name missing from that group is Randy Johnson, who was traded back to Arizona after two puzzling years in the Bronx.

While Mussina wasn't surprised to see Johnson dealt after the lefty went 17-11 with a 5.00 ERA last season, he seemed to sympathize with the Big Unit, who never lived up to the expectations that were placed on him in New York.

"Randy's name is synonymous with 15 strikeouts, 20 wins and Cy Young Awards, so when you put on the pinstripes, you're expected to do that 35 times a year," Mussina said. "I think he got a bad taste in his mouth and didn't adjust to it. He had a tough two years dealing with what he thought was okay and everybody else thought wasn't good enough."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    Good to see us finally improving our minor league system. It's time to finally break the tradition of paying for veterans and trading the youth away. I'm excited to see what the young guys like Hughes, Sanchez, and Ohlendorf can do if they get a chance to hit the bigs.
    i wanna see more of ohlendorf. hes like a wild card to me, i didnt see much mention of him when he was in arizona, but now that hes a yankee hes getting more pub as being in a group with hughes and humberto... both of which are top 40 talents in the minors, hughes top 5. plus, rasner was a nice prospect in washington for a time and karstens pitched alright when he was up here last year... i feel pretty good about our young pitching, and feel good about a replacement when the inevitable pavano injury strikes, whether that be in the 1st week of april... or the 1st week of march.

MLB ERA
    Bernie likely to make minor concession

Bernie Williams is leaning toward accepting the Yankees' offer of a minor-league contract, two people familiar with the situation told Newsday yesterday.

The 38-year-old, ultra-popular outfielder is aware that he'll be a long shot to make the 2007 Yankees, the sources said. But after spending all 16 of his big-league seasons as a Yankee, he has no desire to play for another team, and Williams figures that if he doesn't make the cut, he'll retire in Yankees pinstripes.

Should Williams move forward and agree to the non-guaranteed deal, he would give Yankees fans a likely final chance to thank him, albeit in exhibition games, for his outstanding career. But he also would make himself one of the focal points of the media, from the first workout until the close of camp.

Williams has made it clear in recent interviews that he's not ready to retire. Yet both his strong family ties - he makes his full-time home in Westchester - and his appreciation of his place in Yankees history have made him reluctant to join another team. Viewed through that prism, going to Yankees camp could at least give Williams a sense of closure.

The Yankees effectively eliminated Williams' roster spot when they committed to a platoon at first base, signing free agent Doug Mientkiewicz to share the job with either Andy Phillips or Rule 5 draftee Josh Phelps. Jason Giambi is expected to get the bulk of the at-bats at designated hitter.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I still see him as a coach some where when he does retire. Maybe in those very same pinstripes. Who knows?

MLB ERA
    Some guys like to stay in the game and others want to stay away from it. I see Bernie being in the former category. I think his passion for the game is definitely huge and he has a lot to teach young players.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    Some guys like to stay in the game and others want to stay away from it. I see Bernie being in the former category. I think his passion for the game is definitely huge and he has a lot to teach young players.
    I am not sure about that, I thin k he loves the game but as a player. I don't get the feeling he'd like to be a coach or Mgr one day. maybe a ST instructor but I can't see him as a coach/mgr.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    agreed with junc, i dont see bernie williams as a coach. hes got too much passion for his music. a spring training consultant is never out of the question, but i dont think hed make coaching a year round thing.

MLB ERA
    Carl Pavano knows he must earn back the trust of his Yankees teammates. But for the most part, he plans to let his pitching do the talking.

Pavano, considered a bust in the Yankees clubhouse because of repeated injuries, said yesterday during a conference call he feels physically strong and ready to go for 2007 after changing his workout routine. He's already thrown three bullpen sessions, including one yesterday morning. He plans to head to Tampa next week.

The 31-year-old righty hasn't pitched in the majors since June 27, 2005, due to injuries. He also withheld information about a car accident in which he sustained broken ribs that thwarted his 2006 comeback attempt. Earlier this week, Mike Mussina said Pavano must earn back respect and act like a new teammate.

"I welcome any kind of thoughts like that, especially from my teammates such as someone I respect like Mike Mussina," Pavano said. "I understand the position I put myself into with the things that have happened over the last couple of years. And I understand the importance of having a team behind you that trusts you. Because every fifth day it's going to be my job to earn us a win. So I definitely want that behind me.

"I totally understand why there's question marks."

However, he said he doesn't plan to speak with Yankees individually to smooth things over, the way Jason Giambi did after the steroids controversy a few years ago. Pavano said he spent the end of the season with his teammates after the accident.

"I've had a lot of interaction with my teammates throughout all this," he said. "It wasn't like I went into the offseason and all this happened. It's been over two years.

"I have a good enough relationship with my teammates where I'm going to go in and act like I'm getting ready for the season and I'm part of the team. I don't feel like I need to do anything like that. We've put a lot behind us last year."

Pavano worked with noted physical trainer Brett Fischer on strengthening his back and core, working in Arizona five days a week (four to six hours per day) for 10 weeks. He's glad he scrapped his traditional exercises and routines for this new regimen.

The New Britain, Conn., native said he didn't feel there were personality issues with his teammates, so he isn't focusing on the perception that he needed to be more accountable, work harder or be more mature about his approach to baseball.

"No, not at all," he said. "I don't think many things need to be done personality-wise. I don't think I rubbed anyone the wrong way or disrespected anyone in any way.

"I think just the actions of not being on the field and probably the attention that I took away from the team are some of the things that happened on a personal issue for me, are more the case."

Pavano still has a meeting to attend with GM Brian Cashman regarding the cover-up of the car accident, and the pitcher's new agent, Gregg Clifton, hopes to get that out of the way before spring training.

"To be honest with that one, that's more of a question you're better off asking Brian," Clifton said. "Carl has been focused on looking forward to '07 and '08 and hopefully a future beyond that with the Yankees."

Don't be a jerk Carl and apologize. You of all people should be apologizing, after the whole car accident fiasco and the fact that you haven't given it your all as a Yankee. He better pitch incredibly well if he thinks the pitching will speak for itself.

MLB ERA
    From Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News

Here's a concept that's sure to arouse the ire of disaffected sports fans: Alex Rodriguez as underpaid.

It would have seemed ludicrous to imagine such a thing when A-Rod signed his 10-year, $252 million contract in 2001. But there's a chance the Yankees' embattled superstar could opt out of the final three years of that deal and become a free agent after the 2007 season.

A-Rod's agent, Scott Boras, represents J.D. Drew, who recently signed a five-year, $70 million contract with the Red Sox. Drew voided the last three years of a five-year, $55 million deal with the Dodgers. If the injury-prone Drew could bump his salary by 27 percent, why wouldn't A-Rod test the waters?

Rodriguez wouldn't discuss his contract when he met with reporters early this week during a book signing. He'll say all the right things about wanting to be a Yankee. But life in New York has been a trial for A-Rod. He hasn't performed well in the clutch. His teammates haven't been very supportive. Manager Joe Torre humiliated him by batting him eighth in the last game of the division series.

So if A-Rod has a chance to bolt the Yanks, I couldn't blame him. Either way, the issue is bound to fester next season, giving Yankee fans yet another reason to make A-Rod's life miserable.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    letting him walk for nothing would be a monumental mistake. not to say that i am, or i am not, an arod fan on a day to day basis... but his seasonal numbers always come out smelling of roses, and as a result hes still one of the top 3 valued players in the game, and you would have to get some kind of compensation for him. they shouldve had the hindsight to quietly shop him this offseason, in preparation for this, because we all know boras will not let this oppurtunity go by without getting some extra kashe in his pocket.

of course, that whole scenario is nullified if cashman just gives in to boras and gives him an extension for more money than hes already getting. but cashman is a quality gm, and i dont expect that to occur.

MLB ERA
    I like A-Rod a lot as a person and obviously he has the talent and the work ethic to succeed. However, I find myself hating his guts every time he comes up in a big situation. That being said, I think another year like '06 and he's bolting New York...I don't know if anybody could take that much hatred from the fans and frustration again.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    hed never be able to be called the best player ever if he quit on new york. i think for a guy who cares so much about what people think of him, it would be a mistake for him as well to quit on this. hes gotta stick it through and be successful, just as much for himself, his own ego and psyche, as for anything else.

MLB ERA
    I hope so too. But there's only so much one guy can take. I know it sounds ridiculous because he's making an ungodly amount of money...but if he didn't tell you the booing and the frustation and the tabloids got to his head last year he'd almost certainly be lying. This is a guy with more god-given talent than 99% of baseball players in the league. You have to figure he'll figure out how to perform in the clutch sooner or later. He's shown glimpses against the Twins and in the first 3 games of the 04 ALCS, now hopefully he puts it all together and becomes the player we all thought he would be in 07.

MLB ERA
    The Yankees entered spring training with every intention of shielding George Steinbrenner from reporters, and his security detail succeeded yesterday with a strategically placed decoy.

Because Steinbrenner usually leaves the lunchroom in his golf cart, reporters typically wait by it. But yesterday, with his golf cart parked to one side of the room, Steinbrenner walked to the opposite side of the hallway and through a back-door entrance.
    Amusing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast