http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

NEW YORK -- Robinson Cano started his sixth consecutive game at second base on Sunday, though his first week in the Majors has not been one to remember.
Cano, the team's No. 2 prospect entering the season, was called up on Monday night to take over the starting second base job from Tony Womack on Tuesday, as Womack was moved to left field. Cano compiled just two hits in his first five games, a paltry .118 average.

Manager Joe Torre indicated Sunday that the 22-year-old would remain in the lineup for the immediate future, as Torre has liked what he has seen from him.

"The batting average -- if I wasn't here watching him, I'd think he was overmatched," Torre said. "I don't think that's the case. He's had one at-bat where he looked overmatched, which was against Zito the other night. He still needs to get comfortable, but I think he looks like he can hold his own, hitting-wise."

Although Cano has committed just one error -- albeit a costly one in Wednesday's loss to Tampa Bay -- he has looked tentative at times in the field. Third-base coach Luis Sojo, a former infielder, has been working with Cano on his positioning in certain situations.

"This came all of a sudden for him," Torre said. "He sees Tony Womack at second base, then all of a sudden somebody is tapping him on the shoulder, telling him he's going to play second base in New York. It's going to take some getting used to."

Moose boost: Mike Mussina's complete-game shutout against the A's on Saturday gave the Yankees a lift, snapping their four-game losing streak. Torre said Sunday that he hopes the game will help his club get some momentum going.

"Moose gave us more than any home run could give us," Torre said.

New York took the field on Sunday looking for just its fourth two-game winning streak of the season. The 12-19 Yankees have not won three in a row this season.

"We'll be hopefully climbing a ladder. That's all we're looking to do," Torre said. "We're not looking to get to .500 today; we're looking to take a step in that direction. You can't get above it until you get to it."

Mulling over Matsui: Hideki Matsui has cooled off considerably since his blazing start to the season, collecting just two hits in his last 20 at-bats and five in his last 44.

Matsui's average was down to .231 entering Sunday's game, but Torre said that he had no plans to sit the center fielder any time soon. Matsui has played in 1,606 consecutive games, dating back to his days in Japan, and the manager admitted that the streak is part of the reason he isn't sitting the outfielder.

"It's a combination. He has the streak going, and since it's early May, physically, he's not tired," Torre said. "Mentally, he may be. He's fighting it, and I've seen something from him lately that I haven't seen very often, which is frustration."

If he sat Matsui, Torre's only other option in center field is Bernie Williams, who has been bothered by a mild right triceps strain that has limited him to DH duties this week.

"I don't have many options," Torre said. "Bernie, I'd like to just play him a little bit to get him healthy."