Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN Report: Torre out, Piniella in?

Your lack of pitching killed you!!!!! For Pete's sakes, you were expecting Jaret Wright to save your season. It's not Torre's fault, why would you hit and run, or try a bunch of fancy stuff to ignite the offense and take a chance on getting runners thrown out by Ivan, then the next guy comes out of his slump, and instead of him hitting a 2 run homer, it's a solo shot. I guess you are blaming Torre because he didn't take Jaret Wright out to bring in Scot Proctor, lol. There's too many individuals on the Yankees that aren't team players, starting with your highest payed player!!!! Torre can only play the cards he's given, and he's been dealt a hand full of face cards and none of them are the same suit!!!!

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance324
    Your lack of pitching killed you!!!!! For Pete's sakes, you were expecting Jaret Wright to save your season. It's not Torre's fault, why would you hit and run, or try a bunch of fancy stuff to ignite the offense and take a chance on getting runners thrown out by Ivan, then the next guy comes out of his slump, and instead of him hitting a 2 run homer, it's a solo shot. I guess you are blaming Torre because he didn't take Jaret Wright out to bring in Scot Proctor, lol. There's too many individuals on the Yankees that aren't team players, starting with your highest payed player!!!! Torre can only play the cards he's given, and he's been dealt a hand full of face cards and none of them are the same suit!!!!
    It was the bats that killed us. We had detroit on the ropes multiple times in game 2 and we blew it, Johnson wasn't great but he kept us in it for a while but we couldn't hit kenny Freakin' Rogers in Game 3. Sure Wright sucked in game 4 but we couldn't score. Our offense scored 6 runs in the 3 losses(inclduing all 3 runs when Game 4 was pretty much over already)- that's 2 runs/gm. Are our pitchers supposed to throw shutouts or 1 run games every night?

MLB ERA
    Junc hit the nail on the head there. +rep.

MLB ERA
    I don't think I've ever seen a team take 3 losses so hard. Who should be fired or traded to rectify this injustice?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    It was the bats that killed us. We had detroit on the ropes multiple times in game 2 and we blew it, Johnson wasn't great but he kept us in it for a while but we couldn't hit kenny Freakin' Rogers in Game 3. Sure Wright sucked in game 4 but we couldn't score. Our offense scored 6 runs in the 3 losses(inclduing all 3 runs when Game 4 was pretty much over already)- that's 2 runs/gm. Are our pitchers supposed to throw shutouts or 1 run games every night?
    Tigers had the best team ERA in all of baseball. Its no surprise that the Yankees offense was shut down.

MLB ERA
    No surprise? They were hailed as one of the best lineups in the history of baseball. An overachieving staff not just beating, but dominating a team like that, is a surprise.

MLB ERA
    Even the greatest lineup in history (which this isn't close to) has bad days. Especially when two good pitchers are firing on all cylinders.

But that doesn't change that it's all somebody's fault. When we find them and eliminate them, I predict many rings will be won.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    No surprise? They were hailed as one of the best lineups in the history of baseball. An overachieving staff not just beating, but dominating a team like that, is a surprise.
    Sorry but pitching wins so no, it wasn't a surprise especially when the Tigers can score too.

A vast majority of the time good pitching will defeat good hitting. After all, sometimes the best offense is defense!!! You say it was the bats that killed you, if your pitching was capable you wouldn't need to score 7 runs a game to win. You say Johnson pitched ok, maybe he did, but your bullpen sucked other than Rivera, so Johnson had to stay out there and try to keep it close. You guys can keep your "one of the best lineups in history", I've seen enough of those great lineups get beat over the years. Lineups that the Red Sox put together, when we had pitchers that couldn't hold the opposition to under 5 runs. Please, please keep blaming it on your hitting, hopefully Yankees management will buy into that, and I won't have to see another Yankees championship for a long, long time!!!!

MLB ERA
    Why don't you just keep using cliches, maybe someone will actually find what you say to be intelligent.

Now answer my question: In our 3 losses, how many runs did we score?

Just that question.

Now, besides the Jaret Wright game, how many runs did our starters give up?

So, in conclusion, it was ouroverworked bullpen and lack of runs that made us lose.

Not our starters.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Tigers had the best team ERA in all of baseball. Its no surprise that the Yankees offense was shut down.
    Against that same piching we dominated Detroit this reg season, the only reason Det got 2 wins against us was b/c mariano wasn't available in either of those games and the Tigers came back against our other guys in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324
    A vast majority of the time good pitching will defeat good hitting. After all, sometimes the best offense is defense!!! You say it was the bats that killed you, if your pitching was capable you wouldn't need to score 7 runs a game to win. You say Johnson pitched ok, maybe he did, but your bullpen sucked other than Rivera, so Johnson had to stay out there and try to keep it close. You guys can keep your "one of the best lineups in history", I've seen enough of those great lineups get beat over the years. Lineups that the Red Sox put together, when we had pitchers that couldn't hold the opposition to under 5 runs. Please, please keep blaming it on your hitting, hopefully Yankees management will buy into that, and I won't have to see another Yankees championship for a long, long time!!!!
    The only guy who pitched great was Bonderman, the bats cost us the other 2 games. We never should have gotten to Bonderman. out pitching was capable, Mussina only gave up 3 runs and we lost, johnson was good enough.

When have the Sox had great lineups when yuor piching killed you? The Sox have only been good the last 3-4 years, yuo act like there's a history there.

We need better pitching but we had more than enough pitching to win it all this year but once again the bats let us down. the last time the pitching was to blame for us losing a series was 2002 against Anaheim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12