Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanks Reach Tentative Deal W/ Mientkiewicz

AA ERA
    Well, he will certainly be a defensive upgrade at 1B.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Ah, he'll certainly be an upgrade defensively, but I feel a little bit iffy about this move...maybe it's because he's been with the Mets and the Sawx 2 of the past 3 years. Not much of an offensive player anymore I believe, although I like the focus on defense rather than offense. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA
    The Yankees have plenty of offense so I don't believe Mientkiewicz lack of offense will hurt the team any and only give them a better defensive option at 1B.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Only if he gives us that damn BoSox WS ball so we can burn it.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    Only if he gives us that damn BoSox WS ball so we can burn it.
    NEVER!!

MLB ERA
    Yes...we sign him, get the ball, and then trade you the ball and Michael Kay for Papelbon.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Is this going to be like a Broisius deal. Bat him 9th and play a good defensive first base?? He does seem to come up with big hits in the clutch, but is he not a good teammate? Doesn't seem to hang on with one team for very long.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    Is this going to be like a Broisius deal. Bat him 9th and play a good defensive first base?? He does seem to come up with big hits in the clutch, but is he not a good teammate? Doesn't seem to hang on with one team for very long.
    It's not that he isnt a good teammate, it just seems that teams seem to find younger, more offensive options at 1B, such as Ryan Shealy which the Royals acquired from the Rockies last season. I believe Doug fits better on teams where he is relied on strictly for his defensive capabilities, which is why he was a perfect fit for Boston during their WS run and should be able to do just as well for the Yankees.

But dammit Browntown, you are not gettin the damn WS ball!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    He won't be starting, he'll be a backup. They will start Giambi.

MLB ERA
    Isn't Giambi going to be the full-time DH now?

MLB ERA
    Yeah, that's what they always say, then he starts 110 games at first base.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Why dont they DH Giambi? He sucks in the field. Maybe Doug can help your favorite player A-Rod and all his errors.

MLB ERA
    Yes, but everyone seems to have this stupid belief he hits way better when he's in the field.

Only problem is he's not hitting that good at all anyway, so we should bench him. Just I doubt something as progressive as benching your perennial 1B starter. He's too old-school for that.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    ah, gotcha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast