Thread: Lou Lamoriello as Yankees GM?

AA ERA

Lou Lamoriello as Yankees GM?

I read this article in the Bergen Record (newspaper in NJ) and I thought this was interesting. It must have been a slow newsday for Adrian to write this idea. I told Adrian that he was nuts. I doubt Lou is going to leave the NHL's New Jersey Devils anytime soon and Steinbrenner probably will hire someone else in the baseball industry or bring Gene Michael back as a GM eventually.

Needless to say, this is an very interesting idea. This would be a bright move if George ever thought about it. Lou would make the adjustment to baseball seamlessly. He has had experience with baseball with the Cape Cod league and as the AD for Providence. Lou has a great idea about how to get the players to play the right way and how players can lead. You know Lou would focus more into developing players and all. Yankees would be fun to watch that way. The one thing I liked about the Yankees during the Showalter years and the Torre years of the late nineties was that they won with role players and homegrown players. I respected them back then. I will be the first to tell you that I rooted for the 1996 Yankees to go all the way back then since they had lot of good guys in that team. Yankees has missed that magic since 2001.

I would follow the Yankees with lot of interest if Lou ever had an interest. As a Devils fan, I wouldn't worry though.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Woj: Lamoriello perfect for Yanks

Thursday, May 5, 2005

By ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI
    SPORTS COLUMNIST

The beginning of stopping the Yankees' slide into a franchise resembling James Dolan's Knicks and Rangers could come with George Steinbrenner honoring his old infatuation with getting pro sports' brightest executive mind on his franchise masthead. For what these Yankees need, it's worth Steinbrenner's time to recruit an old Providence Friars catcher and Cape Cod League manager out in the Meadowlands, arming Lou Lamoriello with autonomy and a superstar's salary to do what the owner needs done now: save Steinbrenner from himself.

The Yankees don't need bigger salaries and bigger names, but the bald, sixtysomething superstar with a history of spending responsibility and managing with an iron will. Steinbrenner needs Lamoriello to do something as bold as offering a hockey president the throne to the Yankees' Kingdom as CEO: He needs Lamoriello to take the challenge of streamlining the most bloated franchise in sports.

If Steinbrenner cares about the future of the Yankees more than his own fruitless obsession with winning now, he'll stop trying to build teams and build a franchise again. And no one in sports has built better than Lamoriello. No one does a better job hiring the right people for the right jobs - from Rick Pitino at Providence, to drafting Martin Brodeur with the Devils - than Lamoriello.

Now, it's time he make a bid to get him running the Yankees as a CEO. Steinbrenner has called Lamoriello "the best executive in sports," and it's praise well-founded. His genius isn't simply with sticks and skates, but a structure centered on spending smart, scouting smarter and giving players a disciplined, winning environment. He's won three Stanley Cups with a moderate payroll, forever reinventing his roster and organization along the way.

There needs to be a Yankee way again, and Lamoriello can bring that to any franchise, in any sport. The best leaders in sports can do it anywhere.

When he was working with Steinbrenner under YankeeNets, there were whispers that Steinbrenner had designs of moving Lamoriello over to baseball operations, but the arrangement dissolved before he ever had the chance. Still, they spent a lot of time together. They became close. Even so, Lamoriello always dismissed that possibility of working for Steinbrenner exclusively, but if there was ever a time to test his devotion to the Devils, this is it. The NHL lockout is dragging with no end in sight, and the Devils could be faced with a post-Scott Stevens era. This isn't a bad time to make a run at Lamoriello. Maybe, this is the best time of all.

When you visit with Lamoriello, he'll talk forever about the lessons learned from the old Canadiens and Celtics and Packers. For a New England boy, an old Sox fan, Lamoriello would have to be intrigued with lending his vision to bringing the New York Yankees back to dominance. Getting him to leave hockey behind wouldn't be easy, but if Phil Jackson is worth $10 million a season to coach the Lakers, Lamoriello is worth something close to revamp the Yankees' machinery with his CEO's eye, and championship formula.

When they were together, Steinbrenner was forever praising his style and substance. Lamoriello is Steinbrenner's kind of guy, bringing that old-school style that demands professionalism and respect, that forever finds a way to win. More than ever, Steinbrenner needs someone he trusts between the baseball executives and his baseball instincts, someone to stop him when he wants, say, Gary Sheffield over Vlad Guerrero.

Now, he is constantly reshuffling the order of the executives that he trusts with the Yankees, but there needs to be a constant. There needs to be an ultimate executive unburdened with Tampa and New York faction loyalties, unburdened with any agenda but winning.

When Nets president Rod Thorn needed Lamoriello to convince ownership to make the Stephon Marbury for Jason Kidd trade, it was done. If our basketball people believe it's best, let them do it, Lamoriello said. He didn't pretend to be a basketball genius, but he was smart enough about what works in sports to understand that a chance to get the best passer in any game is nothing that should be passed up.

What's more, the Yankees' organization has been pushed so far from the real-world realities of fiscal responsibility, it could stand for an education in the principles of doing more with less that drives championship franchises like the Devils. The Yankees' spending has to stop for the simplest reason of all: It's no longer working.

Once, it was the solution. Now, it's the problem. When the Yankees were winning world championships, there was a philosophy, a plan, a program. Lately, it's dissolved into the idea that throwing more money at a problem was always the answer.

When the Yankees were chasing a $100 million payroll, they were mostly re-signing the great young talent that they had drafted and nurtured within their system. Once Steinbrenner started chasing $200 million, he was chasing everyone else's players. That's where it's gone out of control, where it's started to collapse on him.

In defeat, Steinbrenner has surprised people in the past. In defeat, sometimes he gives you his most self-examined moments. In Mike Vaccaro's superb book, "Emperors and Idiots," he reports the story of Steinbrenner watching the Red Sox' players and fans celebrating long after the final out of Game 7 of the ALCS. When everyone expected he would be furious, he told underlings, "Keep the lights on for them as long as they want. They've earned it."

It is time for Steinbrenner to have one of those humbling epiphanies, to understand that he's getting buried under a collapsing infrastructure, that something has to change far more dramatically than firing Brian Cashman at the end of the season.

The good old days are gone for the Yankees. They need to think radically, if only to get themselves back to the fundamentals of what makes franchises: bold, visionary leadership. The executive in sports is sitting across the George Washington Bridge, a labor stoppage leaving him without a sport to call his own. Give him a game, George. Give him a call. For the future of the crumbling Yankees, give it a shot.

E-mail: wojnarowski@northjersey.com

Rookie ERA
    Lou Lamieriello might be the best GM in all of sports but unfortunately the GM isn't the problem it's the owner. Steinbrenner has gone back to his 80s ways and it has cost the Yankees. I still don't think this team is done this year but we are in this situation b/c of George.

AA ERA
    nyjunc: I agree about Lou being the best GM in sports. This guy is amazing. He knows how to win with a tight budget and he always brings guys that does not act like they are bigger than the team. He has always gotten classy guys that know how to win. You know the saying about how nice guys finish last. Well I am proud to say that the Devils got nice guys who can win and that's a credit to Lou Lamoriello. My respect for the New York Yankees would be an all-time high is they ever hire Lou because I know he will find the right guys to win.

I think Steinbrenner has zero trust in Cashman. That is pretty obvious hence the fraction between the Tampa/NY braintrust. There has to be a cohesion between the braintrust of both cities, but it's not happening. A strong-will GM can do that and Cashman is powerless because of Steinbrenner's lack of trust between them. Steinbrenner needs to learn to trust to. I think he can trust Lou, but can Lou trust him hence why he won't take the job. I think Gene Michael will eventually be the GM next year.

So how do you like my boy Zo and Shaq sweeping the Nets? God I love it.

MLB ERA
    Hockey is not baseball. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified people who have some semblance of professional baseball experience that would make better choices.

AA ERA
    Okay then joek would be a fine choice.

joek doesn't meet the qualified, or semblance of professional baseball experience, or better choice requirement.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    nyjunc: I agree about Lou being the best GM in sports. This guy is amazing. He knows how to win with a tight budget and he always brings guys that does not act like they are bigger than the team. He has always gotten classy guys that know how to win. You know the saying about how nice guys finish last. Well I am proud to say that the Devils got nice guys who can win and that's a credit to Lou Lamoriello. My respect for the New York Yankees would be an all-time high is they ever hire Lou because I know he will find the right guys to win.

I think Steinbrenner has zero trust in Cashman. That is pretty obvious hence the fraction between the Tampa/NY braintrust. There has to be a cohesion between the braintrust of both cities, but it's not happening. A strong-will GM can do that and Cashman is powerless because of Steinbrenner's lack of trust between them. Steinbrenner needs to learn to trust to. I think he can trust Lou, but can Lou trust him hence why he won't take the job. I think Gene Michael will eventually be the GM next year.

So how do you like my boy Zo and Shaq sweeping the Nets? God I love it.

We'd be very lucky if Stick was the Gm again but unfortunately unless Howie Spira reappears we won't lose George and therefore won't be able to rebuild the way we should.

As for Nets-Heat. I despise that thief alonzo mourning, I could root for the Heat if they didn't have Alonzo but he stole money from Miami, NJ,and Tor and he whined his way away. Screw him, he doesn't deserve a Championship. There is a reason he has never come close to winning one. The Nets did a tremndous job just getting to the playoffs, w/ a healthy RJ and the development of Krstic this team isn't far away.

AA ERA
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/46131.htm

Kevin Kernan mentioned a little about Lamoriello in the very end of this article today. I still don't know if it's true or not. My guess is Kernan copied what Wojnarnowski wrote and added in his column as part of his "industry source"

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpMerrill
    As for Nets-Heat. I despise that thief alonzo mourning, I could root for the Heat if they didn't have Alonzo but he stole money from Miami, NJ,and Tor and he whined his way away. Screw him, he doesn't deserve a Championship. There is a reason he has never come close to winning one. The Nets did a tremndous job just getting to the playoffs, w/ a healthy RJ and the development of Krstic this team isn't far away.

I don't think Zo did anything wrong. He was well within his rights to rip the Nets for the way he was treated. He did a lot to this league and he did a lot in the community in NJ to say what he wants. He was one guy along with Jason Kidd who hated the move to Brooklyn and he was the only Net that actually takes the time to talk to fans while most of the Nets act like it's a chore to talk to the fans. He was one guy who truly enjoyed being part of the culture and community in New Jersey. He had a lot of love for NJ till the move was made and he is representing the fans in NJ in their outrage to the organization. He had the courage to go play with his bad kidney so he has every right to say what he wants. Zo represents character, intergrity, and honesty so in my opinion, his words has carried weight.

It was amusing that he was "booed" in the series by the people was in attendance (Ratner needs to find a way to move the team to Long Island as soon as possible because the Nets drew as much as the Devil Rays drew this season not to mention there were more Heat fans in the series than Nets fans). What did he do to get booed? Telling the truth? The truth hurts, doesn't it. He has right to rip the organization. First, the Nets wanted him to retire so they can get his salary off the books. Nets did not want to pay the guy at all and they did not want him to play for them anymore. They found him "useless". The guy sacrificed a lot of money and his health to play for a contender and the Nets lied to him by stripping the team. Being the warrior Zo is, he had every right to feel insulted and left out. What Ratner did to him was classess, but that's not the classless thing Ratner has done. Ratner is moving the team to NY. He has laid off good people who worked in the organization like the PA guy, the ushers, and the workers at the concession line. He demoted a fantastic PBP man in Ian Eagle for that a-hole Marv Albert (It's remarkable how Ian Eagle actually swallowed his pride to do only 30 games next year. If I was Ian, I would give a huge F you to the organization and quit). He has raised ticket prices. The atmosphere at Nets games is hideously bad. So you can understand why Zo has ripped the organization and as a Nets hater and a former Nets fan, I say good for him. I hope he keeps it up even though he is making himself look really bad by constantly ripping them as everyone gets the point.

I am rooting for the Heat to go all the way. I like to see my boy Zo win a ring for the people in Jersey not to mention spiteing the Knicks and Brooklyn Nets fans.

As for Nets making the playoffs, big deal. As Jason Kidd said, bad teams can make the playoffs. He does not get excited about making the playoffs. It just goes to show you how pathetic the Knicks are that they could not make the playoffs in a horrible conference. Nets made the playoffs because the Cavaliers stunk at the end. Nets did nothing special. Bill Walton said it best that the Nets did not deserve to go to the playoffs and I agree with him.

Here's hoping Rod Thorn makes Jason Kidd happy and trade him. After what Kidd to the Nets franchise, let's hope Rod makes Kidd happy. Kidd deserves it.

I am just glad the Nets are not my problem anymore and I don't miss being a Nets fan.