http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2052024
Get ready for the new-look Yankees.

Hideki Matsui is moving to center field for an ailing Bernie Williams. Tony Womack is headed to left, and Robinson Cano is coming up from the minors to play second base every day. Plus, Randy Johnson could wind up on the disabled list because of a stiff groin, putting another young pitcher in the rotation.

"We're looking to get this thing on track. We just feel there are certain things we need to start doing," general manager Brian Cashman said after Monday night's 6-2 victory over Tampa Bay improved New York's record to 11-15.

With his $200 million collection of talent struggling below .500 this late in a season for the first time in more than a decade, Cashman felt compelled to do something. He called owner George Steinbrenner on Sunday and said he wanted to travel to Tampa to join the team.

"The way we're playing, I don't want to be too far away," Cashman said.

He and manager Joe Torre began a major overhaul by announcing a series of moves that will change the look of the lineup, as well as the rotation.

"We felt we needed a little energy," Torre said.

For starters, Johnson will miss his scheduled start against the Devil Rays on Wednesday night because of stiffness in his left groin, an injury that Cashman said could land the Big Unit on the DL. Sean Henn will be called up from Double-A Trenton to fill in. Reliever Steve Karsay, who has appeared in just 13 games in the last three seasons because of a torn rotator cuff and was made expendable with reliever Tanyon Sturtze expected to be activated from the disabled list Thursday, was designated for assignment Monday.

"This wasn't a surprise," Karsay said. "Unfortunately, I was the odd man out."

In addition, the Yankees plan to bring up Cano from the minors. He was hitting .333 at Triple-A Columbus with four homers and 24 RBI. Matsui will move from left to center in place of Williams, who has been bothered by tendinitis in his right elbow, and Womack will shift to left.

"I'm not going to make a big deal out of it," Womack said. "I've played the outfield before, so it's not really new."

Williams, who had an RBI on Monday night, will be used primarily as a designated hitter until his health improves. He is expected to split time at DH with Jason Giambi and Ruben Sierra, who is on the disabled list.

"We're going to try things. We're looking to find a way to get this thing going in the right direction," Cashman reiterated. "This is a game plan Joe [Torre] and I talked about [Sunday] and are implementing today."