Thread: Alfonso Soriano

M's fan to the fullest
    AA ERA

Nationals Alfonso Soriano

If the NYY get Soriano back, wouldn't it be smarter to put him back at the 2 bag?
    Or would that mess up his season because he has put in so many innings in LF?

I'm a big soriano fan, and I think it broke his heart when the Yanks traded him, if you guys dont trade for him, I can assure you he will want to sign with th NYY this offseason, he loves you guys.

I like and respect Soriano, but I also view him as one of the most overrated players in the game today. All he can do is hit for power and steal bases, and since these are such radically different parts of the game peoploe mistake him for a very well rounded player. The fact of the matter is that's all he can really do. He is not a very disciplined hitter and he doesn't play especially good defense. I know what you're thinking: he's leading the league in outfield assists. That's because he happens to have a strong arm. That coupled with the fact that he is apt to bobble the ball in the outfield makes it so that runners are more likely to take a chance, resulting in some assists. That doesn't mean he's that great.

Granted I like Soriano, he's a good young player with a lot of heart, I just think the yanks are actually better off with their current outfield: Matsui, Damon, and Melky. Yes, Melky, Sheffield has already played his last game as a yankee.

AA ERA
    What do you do with Cano then? I don't follow him, but I'm sure hes got to be 10x better defensively than the lazy ass.
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Like many, I've always found Soriano to be of value but overrated (more so when the age issue came up.) But he's having a pretty terrific year for Alfonso. At 43 walks through 448 plate appearances, he already has a career high in walks and 10 more than he had last year through 682 plate appearances. If this trend continues, this will be the first year he posts an OBP of +.350 (currently at .361.) Although to be fair he has had 12 IBB, but even without those he would be on pace to eclipse his previous career high of 38. His splits at home are just dominating at RFK with a 1.042 OPS. Other than highlights and matchups versus the Reds, my view of Soriano has been limited but for anyone with a bit more exposure to him, is this the real deal or just luck? Other than his 2B's being down a bit from last year and his SB success rate down as well, he's getting on base more and has shown increased power. If he continue putting up numbers like that or even developing a bit further, his value would rise tremendously in my eyes. Or then again he could be pulling a Beltre (which seems likely).

As far as the Yankees signing him, I am not really for sure if there is a place for him. But whether he's out to prove something, to establish his value, or has simply furthered develop, don't mess with success is my stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphictor
    What do you do with Cano then? I don't follow him, but I'm sure hes got to be 10x better defensively than the lazy ass.
    A very valid point. The yankees have absolutely no need a second basemen. Hell, they have no need for a position player, all they need is good, young pitching. Sure their lineup looks weak now, so would any lineup that's missing THREE ALLSTARS. Count'em, 3.