Thread: Rivera notches save No. 400

MLB ERA

Rivera notches save No. 400

NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera became just the fourth reliever in Major League Baseball history to record 400 saves in his career when he nailed down a two-inning save Sunday against the White Sox.

Source

Congrats to him!

MLB ERA
    I am in no way a Yankee but I can still appreciate what Rivera has accomplished in his career. Especially since 400 saves is an impressive career milestone.

I figure he is on pace for an even 40 saves this year which would would give him 418 to end the season. Still 60 saves short of Lee Smith's record. Considering he will be 37 at the start of next season, do you think he will continue being the dominant closer he is now and notch 2 more 30 save seasons to break Smith's record?
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Molina00
    I am in no way a Yankee but I can still appreciate what Rivera has accomplished in his career. Especially since 400 saves is an impressive career milestone.

I figure he is on pace for an even 40 saves this year which would would give him 418 to end the season. Still 60 saves short of Lee Smith's record. Considering he will be 37 at the start of next season, do you think he will continue being the dominant closer he is now and notch 2 more 30 save seasons to break Smith's record?

I agree with you that I am no way a Yankee, but appricate what he has accomplished in his career.

Bold: I wana here what Padres fans have to sat about that comment. So maybe it will be a battle between Hoffman vs Rivera.

MLB ERA
    Rivera will get the record. Hoff has one ear after this, and Mo will pitch well until 41 or so. I'm going to miss having him at the end of games when he leaves...

MLB ERA
    ESPN has Hoffman projected to get 43 saves this year which I think would put him at 479 for his career, beating Smith's record. But he will also turn 39 after the season ends. The 2 year advantage Rivera has over Hoffman in age probably puts Rivera as the front-runner to hold the record when both are retired. Although Hoffman will probably be the first closer in history with 500 career saves.

I don't know about Rivera going until he is 41 though. He is getting old and that is a whole 3 or 4 more seasons to go. A long time for someone 37 years old.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000