Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The week in review with RLA68 April 23rd

The week in review with RLA68 April 23rd

Well Yankee fans the news is not good.

We were 3-4 and end the week at 7 up and 11 down for the season. It may be too early to hit the panic button but there is cause for concern. Te bright spots are few and far between. The road does not get much easier and we will have to find a way to play much bette vs the teams that have handled us easily so far.

Sunday
    We lost 8-4 vs the Orioles. We managed 11 hits and 4 runs. Brown was of course horrible 6 innings pitched and 6 runs all earned.

Monday
    We won 19-8 vs Tampa Bay but Wright was horrible. 5 and a third innings pitched 8 runs all earned. ARod with 2 hrs in a game that is somewhat meaning less. It would be nice to see some of that when we need it.

Tuesday
    I cringe at times after a big offensive outburst because teams tend to come out flat the next day. We lost 6-2 to Tampa Bay. We managed 9 hits but only 2 runs behind another shabby outing by Randy Johnson. 7 and one third innings pitched and gave up 6 runs 5 earned.

Wednesday
    Maybe Toronto will be a cure to our losing woes this year. We won 11-2. Pavano had a nice showing with 8 innings 2 runs and only 1 earned. Posada had a nice day at the pate and hit his first HR of the year. We knocked out 14 hits while scoring 11 runs.

Thursday
    We beat Toronto again this time 4-3. Moose pitched 5 and one third with 3 runs all earned. Rivera nailed it down with 1 inning of scoreless relief. Th offense had got 9 hits but put 4 runs on the board.

Friday
    I was a little worried about the Texas series with Brown and Wright going. I guess I correct on that hunch. We lost 5-3. We got 7 hits and Sheffield had 2 of them. We could only score 3 runs. Brown 6 innings 5 runs and now has a 8.25 era.

Saturday
    We lost again to Texas, this time 10-2. We managed 5 hits and Bernie had 2 fo them against Park. Park did 6 and one third with 3 hits and 1 run vs this high powered offense. Wright got injured before pitching 5 and one third allowing 11 hits 6 runs 4 earned. He goes to the DL with a 9.15 era.

Continued...

All Information courteousy of ESPN.Com

Aware of Wright's history, the Yankees wanted to protect their investment in him.

Wright's contract provides for $7 million each season. But if he goes on the DL because of a shoulder injury for a combined 75 days or more in the first two years, the Yankees can opt out of the deal for 2007 and pay a $4 million buyout.

Cashman said Triple-A prospect Chien-Ming Wang will probably start next Saturday against Toronto. In the meantime, reliever Colter Bean will likely be promoted from Columbus.

Team Transactions
    DATE TRANSACTION
    April 23, 2005 Placed outfielder Ruben Sierra on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Thursday, with a strained right biceps; recalled infielder Andy Phillips from Columbus of the International League (AAA).

April 20, 2005 Purchased the contract of pitcher Buddy Groom from Columbus of the International League (AAA).

April 18, 2005 Placed pitcher Tanyon Sturtze on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 17, with a strained left oblique.

April 18, 2005 Activated pitcher Kevin Brown from the 15-day disabled list; optioned infielder Andy Phillips to Columbus of the International League (AAA).

What is next...

We have one game with Texas then a day off and a big 3 games set with the Angels. Then 2 with Toronto to end next week.

The Angels will really force us to take our game up a notch.

I predict a 4-2 week. We are struggling with our strating pitching but we can't sink to the bottom anymore. I don't see any downside to Wright going tot he DL let along Sierra. I like Tino getting PT.

What are thoughts? Any questions for RLA68?

I've really not paid attention alot this season in the MLB. Yankees have been pathetic to say the least this season. I expected more out of Wright, I was very high on him when he was in Atlanta. What can I say? It's time for the Yankees to rebuild, like it or not. I don't think we can keep reloading like this with old players.

Some good points.

The problem is...rebuild with what? We do not have a farm system. The Yankees are a business in a sense that runs by each department doing their job. It starts with winning and having household names to sell by marketing. By design the Yankees are a veteran team with a high payroll.

I know that eventually this systme will crash but the heart of the team with Jeter, ARod, and some others are still very young guys. They should be doing much better.

For sure. The system is going to crash sooner or later. We can't keep at it. The best I can say, is start trading off some of these players for spects. Or atleast sign younger FAs.

There is no question that Yankees should be doing better this season. Hopefully we can continue off of the Texas game tonight, and go on a good winning streak.

The problem is that no one wants the contracts. I would like to see younger FAs but most get long term deals such as Santana of Minnesota.

I hope we can take the day off Monday and go strong against the Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    For sure. The system is going to crash sooner or later. We can't keep at it. The best I can say, is start trading off some of these players for spects. Or atleast sign younger FAs.

There is no question that Yankees should be doing better this season. Hopefully we can continue off of the Texas game tonight, and go on a good winning streak.

Just off topic here, but I would love to see what Beane could do with the Yankees. He's a genious, and I think it would be great to have him as the GM of the Yanks.

Yanks need to get it together and just start playing better.

I think a more astute GM would be scary but as mentioned, a Yankee GM is just as much of a prisoner in this system as they are in for example Oakland's system.

We spend and go after veteran proven players. We trade for what we can't get as free agents and lose any prospects for the future. It is win now. There is not any patience.

But we haven't won a WS since 2000. Something needs to be done, and I'ma fraid that if the yanks don't win the WS this season that Stein will clean out the house.

Afraid? Absolutely, he will go nuts. The RedSox defending champs at our expense. The worst case scenario would be if the Mets won it all.

George would have a coronary, he would be so mad.

Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    But we haven't won a WS since 2000. Something needs to be done, and I'ma fraid that if the yanks don't win the WS this season that Stein will clean out the house.

Maybe not afraid, but I would be worried about the Yankees without Torre. Who would he hire? I couldn't picture the Yankees without Torre. So, maybe I'm just afraid of the unknown of who would be the Yanks next GM, etc. What direction would they take the team in, etc.

I was growing up in the 80's (actually middle 70's) so nothing can be much worse than the Steve Balboni's and others of that time.

Mattingly would lead us in a good direction but we would lose a lot when Torre goes.

Would Steinbrenner even hire Mattingly to be the next manager?

I don't know of many "prospect" managers out there. If Randolph wasn't hired by Mets, I would've been cheering for him to be the next manager.

Maybe it won't even be a "prospect" manager, any managers out there who have been fired and looking for jobs. Just don't know, hopefully Yankees pick it up and Torre won't have to be fired.

Joe Girardi is all lined up to take control in a few years..
    What is the worst source of diarrhea ?
    A)A bowl of chili, or
    B)Curt Schilling's mouth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast