Thread: Sheffield Will Have Wrist Surgery, Out Until September

Yankees Sheffield Will Have Wrist Surgery, Out Until September

BRONX, New York (Ticker) - The New York Yankees will be without Gary Sheffield until September.

The All-Star outfielder is scheduled to undergo left wrist surgery on Tuesday.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed on Thursday that Sheffield will require surgery and likely be sidelined for up to three months.

"The tendon was continuing to dislocate and based on the time frame, the recommendation (of surgery) was made by the surgeon," Cashman said. "I am told this is not career or season-ending surgery. I would say September is when he might be able to return."

Last Thursday, Sheffield was placed on the disabled list after an MRI revealed he had a torn ligament and dislocated tendon in his wrist.

The 37-year-old Sheffield originally suffered the injury April 29 in a collision on the basepath with Toronto's Shea Hillenbrand. He first went on the DL on May 9 and missed 16 games before returning on May 23. Sheffield played in six more games, but continued to feel discomfort in the injured wrist.

A nine-time All-Star, Sheffield is hitting .309 with four home runs and 19 RBI in 30 games this season. He is a career .298 hitter with 453 homers in 19 major league seasons with six teams.

Ironically, Yankees starting left fielder Hideki Matsui underwent surgery for a broken left wrist last month and may not return this season.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

The Yankees worst fears have been confirmed, and now they are in a pickle. That pickle is what position they try to make a trade for. The Yankees have one above average prospect in Phil Hughes, and thats who they will have to use to get anyone decent in a trade. The question is, does Cashman trade to make an addition in the Outfield, or does he add a starting pitcher, another area where the Yankees are struggling.

To me, I would make a trade for a starting pitcher. There is no guarenteeing Johnson will come around, same of Chacon and some others. The Yankees do not need much of a boost to the offense. They have Erubiel Durazo coming back in a few weeks, and can place him at DH. Then, Bernie Williams can platoon with someone in right field, while Melky Cabrera plays in left.

MLB ERA
    That is what happens when you sign old players. Steinbrenner never learns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio181
    That is what happens when you sign old players. Steinbrenner never learns.
    He collided with a player while he was running the bases. That could happen to anyone, and certainly is no sign of old age. Old age injuries are sore elbows, sore knees, strained hamstrings, that take a lot longer to heal than someone 10 years younger.

AAA ERA
    If he's going to be back there's no need to make a move, we'll survive- our O has been great and as long as the pitching holds up we'll win enough to still be in a good spot by the time Sheff and hopefully Matsui come back.

I believe neither Sheff or Matsui will return this year. I would like to thank Sheffield for his time in New York. I think he's through with us.
    What is the worst source of diarrhea ?
    A)A bowl of chili, or
    B)Curt Schilling's mouth

AAA ERA
    If there is a team in baseball that can plug in another player and keep on ticking it is the Yankees! JMO

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    When the Dodgers traded Sheffield, they set themselves up for years of offensive ineptitude. At least the Yankees don't have Brian Jordan as Sheffield's replacement.