Thread: Problems with the Yankees

MLB ERA

Yankees Problems with the Yankees

I realized that a lot of posting goes to bashing the Yankees. All this stuff about payroll, overpriced players, generally sucking, it's all interesting.

I find it repulsive, but interesting.

Here's a thread to post your gripes.

AAA ERA
    I can't complain until they start losing. I'm sure I'm alone in that train of thought.

MLB ERA
    Nor can I. 30-20 is doable at this juncture. Hell, according to sports radio if the Astros were 30-20 now they'd end up with 110 wins.

Well, I am sick and tired of the yankees going after old players who once had their prime but no longer do (johnson is the main argument same when they got brown). Why can't they get a young player or stop trading their young players?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    my gripes with the yankees...

1. gary sheffield - in general... his persona, his complete and utter lack of understanding to take just A LITTLE bit off your swing, to go for a single to tie the game, instead of the ever trusty 5 run homer that sheffield goes for every single time. i also dont like that we signed him instead of vlad guerrero.

2. joe torre's in game managerial tactics. he mismanages the bullpen, he doesnt steal bases, he just doesnt play enough small ball, for a guy who preaches small ball. i dont much mind that hes taken bunts out of the playbook... but jeter, arod, cano, damon, sheffield to a degree, melky, bubba all have the speed to steal some bases (or the intelligence to know when to go... gary sheffield is very good at that, i give credit where its due)... so send them.

3. the teams lack of knowing the game. take last night for example... verlander walks giambi and arod back to back to lead off an inning. first pitch, bobby cano is swinging, and he pops it up, and verlander goes on to get out of the inning. now... he just walked two guys... take a strike please. thats not bobby's game, i understand that... but lets look at this with some common sense. verlander has a blister on his finger, and they have to keep reopening it every inning so he can pitch, and the blood is all over his pants and what not, so he cant throw his off speed shit. so you know the fastball is coming 7 times out of 8. thusly... you know youre going to get a hittable pitch on the 3rd or 4th pitch as well. its much easier to hit 2-0 than 0-0. this is just a lack of knowledge of baseball. and i dont only put this on bobby cano, whos a 2nd year man. bernie williams and jorge posada ALWAYS do this. jorge posada, a man who alot of times in clutch situations, looks like hed prefer to just look at 7 pitches and hope for a walk than take the bat off his shoulders... which is commendable in my book... swings first pitch after walks far far too often. bernie williams had the skill set to be a hall of famer, he was just dumber than a brick, and really never figured out how to hit or run the bases. could you imagine that... a man who was such a great hitter in his prime, never really knew how to hit. thats amazing to me.

theyre all kinda minor things, and since i cheer for the uniform more than a singular guy, i give them all passes come game time anyway. but alas, those 3 are just replicatable problems that annoy me.

MLB ERA
    Ok The 1st and 3rd are good. But are you serious with Torre? The guy plays small ball, but who in their right mind is going to play small ball with Arod, Giambi, Sheffield, Matsui, Posada, Damon and Jeter. Thats a power lineup buddy. I'd hate to see what would happen if he tried to bunt Giambi, or Sheffield. Even Robby Cano can't bunt well. So why would you play small ball??

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    didnt i say that i didnt care that he took bunting out of the playbook? i want to see more stolen bases. thats precisely what i wrote above, thats precisely what im writing again. and it was also a knock on his handling of the pen, but thats been talked about quite frequently, so i didnt feel the need to rehash with a whole big story about that.

MLB ERA
    Oh shit I forgot. I just noticed the bullpen ish, cuz that's what everyone is talking about. But as for stolen bases, it's all the same thing. How would you feel if it was first and second, melky and jeter, arod at the plate, 1 out. Yankees are down 2. Torre sends the runners. Melky gets gunned @ 3rd, and arod hits a ball to the warning track the next pitch. I'd be pretty pissed, and I've seen it happen before.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    thats not the type of situation im talking about. ill take an instance that just occured in the game in real life. melky leads off with a single, and goes. it took an absolutely perfect throw to throw him out. but if it isnt perfect... im talking 1 inch higher, and melky is safe, and its man on 2nd nobody out for jeter. thats a really smart play in my book. and besides... with the power lineup that you pointed out that we have... jeter walked and giambi homered and they made up for it anyway. its worth taking shots is all im saying.

AA ERA
    Just leave the small ball to the N.L.............Damon is 6th in the A.L. and Jeter is 9th..............WTF?

AAA ERA
    Due the Yankees players even know the sign for a bunt? For that matter do very many players on any Major League Team know the bunt sign? It is becoming a lost art and I for one would like to see more player doing it. That being said do you have your power hitters bunting all the time? I do not think so. However, once in a great while it might be useful even to a power hitter. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    Ok The 1st and 3rd are good. But are you serious with Torre? The guy plays small ball, but who in their right mind is going to play small ball with Arod, Giambi, Sheffield, Matsui, Posada, Damon and Jeter. Thats a power lineup buddy. I'd hate to see what would happen if he tried to bunt Giambi, or Sheffield. Even Robby Cano can't bunt well. So why would you play small ball??
    Joe Torre is straight out of the National League, so thats where he gets his small ball tactics from. Also, with him missing Sheffield and Matsui, it is possible he is going to use small-ball once in awhile. Thats what he did a lot before he had all of the power hitters.

As for the bunt, just today against the Yankees, Melvin Mora put one down, and got a base hit. He was mired in an 0-15 slump, and bunted to get a hit. He got the hit, it is all that matters. Still, few teams know how to use it.

As for misuse of pitchers, Torre is no Dusty Baker. Kyle Farnsworth is terrible in pressure situations, and has shown up to be a bust so far this year. Scott Proctor is being pitched nearly every day because, frankly, Torre doesn't have another right-handed setup option. The Yankees bullpen is really tiring because the starters can not go deep into games, save for Mussina. When Octavio Dotel comes off of the DL, it should breathe some fresh air into the pen, and allow Farnsworth to be put on the back burner. Right now, Torre is doing the best with what he has, and his injuries are not the result of overuse, like Dusty Baker's pitchers are.

MLB ERA
    Welcome Back TomTom.

Jeter got ****ing hit. someone has to die.

The Yankees need some serious balls. I could care less about Scott Erickson pitching well. I want to see him knock Tejada on his ass in retaliation. **** Scott Erickson, **** these pitchers who won't take revenge. I WANT SOME REVENGE!