Thread: No punishment for Sheffield over Boston incident.

No punishment for Sheffield over Boston incident.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2042089

NEW YORK -- Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield won't be punished for his role in a scuffle with fans at Fenway Park last week.

Sheffield was praised by the discipline committee for showing restraint during the encounter with fans.Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, made the decision Wednesday, a day after meeting with Sheffield and the right fielder's agent at Yankee Stadium.

"It just proves that I was right," Sheffield said before Wednesday night's game at Toronto. "I'm just glad I was an example of how to handle a situation without making it worse or hurting the Yankees or any organization for that matter, or any sport.

"It wouldn't have been just me involved if I would have went into the stands, it would have been my teammates. I would have put them at risk. I'd have put the organization at risk and also baseball," he said.

The commissioner's office said Watson concluded the fan reached over the barrier near the right-field corner during the April 14 game in Boston and "struck Sheffield on the head as he was attempting to field a ball in play."

"Sheffield in response swung his arms in an effort to extricate himself from the situation and to avoid further abuse, then completed the play and returned to confront the fan," the statement continued. "At that time no further altercation occurred, Red Sox security stepped in promptly and order was restored. Under the circumstances, Bob Watson concluded that discipline for Sheffield was not warranted."

Commissioner Bud Selig, in a statement, said: "We do not condone any interaction between fans and players whether initiated by either fans or players. I am pleased that Gary Sheffield showed restraint in not overreacting to the improper and clearly aggressive action of the fan in question."

On Tuesday, Boston police filed applications for misdemeanor criminal charges against two fans -- one who allegedly made contact with Sheffield and another who allegedly tossed a beer at him. A clerk magistrate will determine whether a disorderly conduct charge is warranted against the fans, police spokesman Officer John Boyle said.

The Red Sox officials revoked season tickets from Christopher House, the fan who appeared to make contact. The other fan has not been identified, but the Red Sox said he will not be able to buy tickets for games at Fenway this season.

"I also commend the Boston Red Sox for their swift and decisive actions regarding the involved fans," Selig said.

He didn't deserve a punishment. Sheffield did nothing wrong.