Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets Daily Notes

Mets Mets Daily Notes

Because somewhere, someone actually cares about the Mets.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

The Mets reportedly seem likely to begin the year with Anderson Hernandez at second base.
    Jeff Keppinger would probably do a better job, but the team has reportedly "buried him" in the competition.

Despite a hole at second base, the Mets reportedly aren't interested in Alfonso Soriano.
    Several newspapers in Chicago also reported that the Cubs won't be going after Soriano. It's almost as if other teams don't want to stop the confrontation between Soriano, manager Frank Robinson and general manager Jim Bowden from taking place

Victor Zambrano surrendered two runs -- one earned -- in five innings Tuesday against the Orioles.
    It was his first appearance back from the World Baseball Classic. Since his back problem earlier this month turned out to be nothing, it looks like he'll be the Mets' fourth starter.

Carlos Beltran was sent home Wednesday because he felt ill.
    This after he just missed time with tired legs. Fortunately, Beltran did play well in the WBC. It doesn't look like the lost at-bats are going to hurt him

Zambrano had flashes of brillance in the WBC. He had some great stuff and shut the Dominican hitters down for a few innings. Still not worth Kazmir, but that's over.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Paul Lo Duca hit a three-run homer and walked to help the Mets beat the Cardinals 12-2 on Friday.
    Homers and walks will be in short supply during the regular season, which is why we're less than enamored with the idea of Lo Duca hitting second for the Mets. Still, it continues to look like that's the way manager Willie Randolph is leaning. It'll be interesting to see how Randolph mixes it up when Ramon Castro is in the lineup. Perhaps David Wright would hit second then.

Billy Wagner threw for 14 minutes on Saturday. He said he was still experiencing stiffness, but no pain, in his left middle finger.
    Wagner, who plans to throw again tomorrow, appears to be questionable for Opening Day because of tendon sheath stiffness. "I'd rather miss the first week than be out two or three times after that," Wagner said. "God, I don't want to miss Opening Day. But we're going to play this smart. I'm not 100 percent, and I should throw a few more times before we break [camp], but if I can't, I won't. Then we'll see." Duaner Sanchez would fill in if necessary.

Jose Reyes went 2-for-4 with a double and a stolen base Sunday against the Orioles.
    Reyes, who didn't play much in the WBC, is 11-for-19 with four extra-base hits. The lack of walks wouldn't be a problem if only he could hit .579 during the regular season.

Cripes, Reyes is having an amazing spring. Granted, it really doesn't matter a whole lot (I remember Cesar Crespo had an awesome spring for the Sox a little while ago, and he sucked), but still, maybe he can justify that high draft position.

MLB.com's Marty Noble believes the Mets will switch Aaron Heilman back to the pen this week.
    It wouldn't be at all fair to Heilman, who has done everything required to clinch a rotation spot this spring, and it's hard to imagine that the Mets would really be better off with Heilman throwing 80 innings rather than 200. If they do make the switch, Brian Bannister would almost surely get the fifth spot in the rotation.

*boggle*

They're the Mets. There's no reasoning behind 3/4 of their moves.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Reyes never does learn how to walk while in New York, keeping his OBP under .300 as the mets maintain their level of mediocrity.

Steve Trachsel was roughed up by Dodger reserves on Monday, surrendering eight runs over four innings to take a loss.
    Well, it was a starter who delivered the biggest blow. Of course, that starter was Brett Tomko, who hit a three-run homer in the fourth. Trachsel's struggles are just one more reason why the Mets can't afford to move Aaron Heilman out of the rotation. The 35-year-old right-hander has an 8.27 ERA and a 7/9 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast