Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets Daily Notes

MLB ERA
    A Mets official labeled a recent San Francisco Chronicle report that Oakland was "likely" to trade Joe Blanton to the Mets for Lastings Milledge as "not accurate."
    Figures. That's pretty much the ideal trade for the A's if they're going to part with one of their starters, but Blanton alone isn't worth Milledge. On the other hand, Milledge isn't worth either Dan Haren or Rich Harden. Newsday says the A's and Mets are not actively discussing a deal.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Mets signed infielder-outfielder David Newhan, who had been with the Orioles, to a one-year, $575,000 contract.
    He's like Chris Woodward, only he swings left-handed and plays worse infield defense. The Mets shouldn't have felt the need to give Newhan a guaranteed deal when they already had five superior bench players, as well as Lastings Milledge waiting in the wings. He's an adequate 25th man, but that's about it.

The Nationals have submitted offers to free agents Steve Trachsel, Tony Armas Jr., Ramon Ortiz, Jorge Sosa and Jerome Williams, MLB.com reports.
    And it's known they've also offered Tomo Ohka a contract. The newer proposals range from a minor league deal (likely Williams) to a $3 million salary (probably Trachsel and/or Armas). We're surprised Bruce Chen's name is nowhere to be found, as he'd make a lot of sense in RFK Stadium.

Under the terms of his deal with the Mets, David Newhan will get a $575,000 salary in the majors or $175,000 in the minors.
    Also, though it's just a one-year contract, the Mets will control his rights through 2008, as he won't have the service time to become a free agent after this season.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Mets agreed to terms with RHP Duaner Sanchez on a one-year, $850,000 contract.
    He can earn $100,000 in performance bonuses: $25,000 each for 50, 55, 60 and 65 games. Sanchez, who missed the final two months of last season with a separated right shoulder sustained in a car accident, was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He's expected to be healthy to resume his setup role on Opening Day.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    That could be a steal for the Mets, getting a guy who was a reliable setup man for most of last year at less than $1 million. Of course, if he pitches like he did last year and doesn't get hurt, he'll be due for a big payday.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Mets re-signed catcher Mike DiFelice to a minor league contract.
    DiFelice played in 15 games for the Mets last season, going 2-for-25. He'll head to Triple-A and serve as insurance should the Mets lose either Paul Lo Duca or Ramon Castro.

The Cubs haven't made any progress recently in talks with free agent Cliff Floyd.
    The Chicago Tribune reported three weeks ago that the two sides were close to deal, but the paper has had little to say on the subject since. If the season started today, the Cubs would likely go with an outfield with Matt Murton in left, Jacque Jones in center and Alfonso Soriano in right. Trading Jones remains a possibility, but they don't seem to see Soriano as an option in center, meaning they'd have to get a stopgap back with Felix Pie still not ready.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    In attendence at the Mets' voluntary minicamp in Port St. Lucie, Pedro Martinez said Wednesday that he's still aiming for a July or August return from shoulder surgery.
    "My timetable will be the exact one that the doctor predicted," Martinez said. "Like I said before, I'm not going to try to be overaggressive and risk anything. I'll do what they told me to do and I'll try to come back fine -- not only for a year or two, but for the rest of my career." Martinez indicated there was no guarantee that he'd pitch this season. "The way I feel, I would say yes," he said. "But I'm not going to take a chance, to be honest."
    They might have Glavine back but with Pedro out for at least half the season, do they really have a chance for the division back to back?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    With that offense and no other team in the East making that significant a move, yes they have a good shot.

MLB ERA
    Juan Padilla, who underwent Tommy John surgery, threw off a mound during yesterday's minicamp and feels ready to compete for a bullpen spot.
    "I feel great," Padilla said. "If you ask me, if they let me go, the way I feel, I'd probably be ready by the end of this month." Padilla had a 1.49 ERA in 36 1/3 innings for the Mets in 2005. Still, he's not much more than the 11th or 12th man on a pitching staff.

MLB ERA
    The Mets say that only Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez are guaranteed places in the rotation entering spring training.
    GM Omar Minaya indicated that John Maine and Oliver Perez have "a leg up" on the next two spots, but manager Willie Randolph wouldn't even go that far. Still, even if the Mets succeed in adding a starter, Maine seems like a lock with a decent spring. As things stand now, Mike Pelfrey is the top candidate for the fifth spot.

35-year-old Pedro Martinez said Thursday that he doesn't see himself playing more than another two or three years.
    Martinez's four-year deal with the Mets expires after 2008. "I'm not going to play until I'm 40," he said. "You're not going to spend your whole life on a career and not even have time for family or anything." Martinez also reiterated Thursday that his rehab from shoulder surgery is progressing well. "The Mets doctors told me that my shoulder is completely clean and it wouldn't be weird if I throw faster than in the last two or three years, when the pain and tiredness affected my shoulder," he told ESPN Deportes.

Mets agreed to terms with LHP Oliver Perez on a one-year, $2.325 million contract.
    Perez made $1.9 million last year in his first season of arbitration. He'll be eligible for free agency after 2008. In addition to his salary this year, Perez could earn $12,500 each for 15 and 25 starts, and $25,000 each for 155, 165, 175, 185 and 195 innings. He's the leading candidate to become the Mets' fourth starter.

MLB ERA
    The Rays have discussed a minor league deal with free agent Victor Zambrano.
    Scott Kazmir and Zambrano in the same rotation? According to the St. Petersburg Times, Zambrano may have superior offers. Still, other than the Nationals, there isn't a team in baseball in better position to give him a rotation spot.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    That's just dripping with irony.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Mets agreed to terms with outfielder Endy Chavez on a one-year, $1.725 million contract.
    Chavez, the Mets' fourth outfielder, could earn $100,000 in performance bonuses: $12,500 each for 120 and 130 games, and $25,000 each for 400, 450 and 500 plate appearances. He'll be a free agent after 2008.

Mets agreed to terms with RHP Jorge Sosa on a one-year, $1.25 million contract.
    Sosa probably won't even again have a season quite like his 2005, when he finished 13-3 with a 2.55 ERA. Still, he can contribute as a fifth starter or as a middle reliever. At this price, he's a nice pickup for the Mets.

Mets signed LHP Scott Schoeneweis, who had been with the Reds, to a three-year, $10.8 million contract.
    This is money that would have been better spent on keeping Chad Bradford or bringing in another right-handed reliever. The Mets already had two lefties in Billy Wagner and Pedro Feliciano, plus a setup man in Aaron Heilman who is great against left-handed hitters. They didn't need another guy who is weaker against right-handers, especially when they're going to have a rotation full of five- and six-inning pitchers.

Mets agreed to terms with catcher Ramon Castro on a one-year, $855,000 contract.
    Castro gets a $50,000 raise in his final year of arbitration. He isn't looking at a lot of playing time while backing up Paul Lo Duca.

MLB ERA
    Carlos Delgado said he has entered the final part of his rehabilitation from arm surgery and will be ready for spring training.
    Delgado had surgery in October to repair a torn tendon in his left elbow. "I believe that I have recovered rather well. I am not 100 percent, but anyway, the doctors say that I am not supposed to be 100 percent right now," he said. Delgado is also recovering from minor surgery to his right wrist.

MLB ERA
    Aaron Heilman, who had surgery after the season for tennis elbow, resumed throwing two weeks ago.
    "I had a little 'scope to clear things out," he said. "Everything is running smoothly. I'll be fine." Heilman will be a setup man unless the Mets choose to trade him.

Duaner Sanchez remains optimistic as he continues his recovery from a separated right shoulder.
    Sanchez resumed throwing at the end of last month. "There is no doubt in my mind I will be 100 percent when the season starts," he said.

The Cubs could have Cliff Floyd signed to a one-year deal before the end of the week.
    After it was initially reported that the two sides were close to a deal a month ago, it appeared the Cubs backed down, preferring to trade Jacque Jones first. However, no Jones deal has materialized and it looks like they still have money to bring in Floyd anyway. Floyd figures to share time in left field with Matt Murton, though it probably won't be a strict platoon initially.

Rookie ERA
    Mets signed RHP Aaron Sele to a minor league contract.

After four straight sub-par years, Sele was relatively effective for the Dodgers in 2006, going 8-6 with a 4.53 ERA in 103 1/3 innings split between the rotation and bullpen.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast