Thread: Beltran Hopes To Prove His Worth

Mets Beltran Hopes To Prove His Worth

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- Carlos Beltran arrived at spring training Tuesday looking to rebound from a disappointing first year with the New York Mets.

"It was a difficult season. I'm looking forward to showing the fans and everybody what I could do," the All-Star center fielder said. "(Last year) is already behind me. I see a lot of health and a lot of good things."

Beltran was one of the Mets' prized acquisitions last offseason, when they signed him to a $119 million, seven-year contract. But the switch-hitter struggled in New York, batting .266 with 16 homers, 78 RBIs and 17 steals.

He was bothered by a leg injury, then had a head-to-head collision with right fielder Mike Cameron during an August game in San Diego, leaving Beltran with occasional dizziness for a month.

In 2004, Beltran played for Kansas City and Houston, hitting .267 with 38 homers, 104 RBIs and 42 steals combined.

"Hopefully, he'll return to the player I saw in Kansas City, who hit the ball the other way more," Mets manager Willie Randolph said. "He might have tried to do too much visualizing."

One of the stars the Mets acquired this winter could have a positive effect on the 28-year-old Beltran. Fellow Puerto Rican Carlos Delgado, the hard-hitting first baseman the Mets acquired from the Florida Marlins to boost their offense, spoke with Beltran several times during the offseason.

"From a comfort level, it is probably good to have more people on the team he can relate to," Randolph said.

Beltran said Delgado will help the team a lot.

"He's a great ballplayer," Beltran said. "Having him on the ballclub, we

Notes

Delgado was not at camp for Tuesday's workout, but team officials expect him to report Wednesday, a day before the first full-squad workout. ... RHP Pedro Martinez did not throw. He had a long-toss session Monday and said he expects to throw off a mound by this weekend. "He said his arm felt great," Randolph said.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

He was a huge bust last year, massive. I hope that he can come back, he was underrated for so long, and suddenly the recognition came with a trade to a playoff caliber team and a huge post-season streak. He's not a 7/119 player, but hopefully, he won't be a Dreifort-esque bust, rather just slightly underplay his value.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.