Thread: Franco Enjoying Himself At Age 47

Mets Franco Enjoying Himself At Age 47

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- At age 47, Julio Franco has no desire to retire.

He signed a $2.2 million, two-year contract with the New York Mets, and has a chance to become the oldest player to hit a home run in the major leagues -- pitcher Jack Quinn was 46 years, 357 days when he homered for the Philadelphia Athletics on June 27, 1930.

"To stay in shape as long as he has is phenomenal," Mets manager Willie Randolph said. "His leadership is important. He's the type of guy who brings a lot to the table."

Franco batted .275 last season with nine homers and 42 RBIs in 233 at-bats for the Atlanta Braves. He attributes his longevity to going to bed as early as 8 p.m., eating organic foods and staying firm in his Christian beliefs.

His mental and physical endurance has made him eager to dispense his knowledge. Franco cherishes working with players willing to listen and learn.

"You have to do things other people aren't willing to do," he said. "There are a lot of things written in baseball that are sometimes wrong."

Franco hopes to remain in baseball after he retires as a player.

"Ultimately, I'd like to manage," he said. "My wish is to do it here. On the No. 1 day, instead of in the dugout, we meet in my office."

Notes

Pedro Martinez threw on flat ground for about 20 minutes. "It's felt pretty good so far," he said. Martinez has a sore right toe and is wearing a special shoe to relieve pressure. He hopes to throw off a mound by the end of the week. ... 2B Kaz Matsui stopped by the clubhouse to collect six large duffel bags of equipment. He planned to practice outside camp Monday and Tuesday before returning to Tradition Field. The first full-squad workout is Thursday.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

MLB ERA
    A 2 year contract? That is absolutely amazing. And what's even more amazing is that the guy can still hit. Although I guess I should expect good things from an ex-Ranger.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

C'mon Molina, its the Mets, led by Minaya. He'd give Rickey Henderson a 3 year contract.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Yeah he signed Andres Galaragga last year remember? And am I crazy or did Lima sign with them? I'm betting Franco retires @ 50.

Limatime did sign with them.

MLB ERA
    ha lets go see lima pitch if he makes it up there...
    hopefully against the braves

Definitely. I'll buy Mets tickets at the vending machine.

MLB ERA
    I wanna see the Mets BEAT the Braves...and then your face
    with Lima pitching hahahahahaha

That won't ever happen. The universe would collapse unto itself if Lima, as a Met, beat the Braves.

MLB ERA
    Well then in 2012 that will happen, and on december 21st no less
    (end of the mayan calender)