Thread: Looper and Mientkiewicz Gone

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Looper and Mientkiewicz Gone

Closer Braden Looper's $5.5 million option was declined Monday by the Mets, who will pay the reliever a $250,000 buyout. New York also exercised right-hander Steve Trachsel's $2.5 million option and declined a $4 million option on first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who gets a $450,000 buyout.

"Even though we declined Braden's option, we still plan on having conversations with his agent," Mets general manager Omar Minaya said.

Looper went 4-7 with a 3.94 ERA and 28 saves in 36 chances and had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder on Oct. 3, the day after the season ended. The Mets might decide not to re-sign Looper and land another closer.

Trachsel missed most of the season following back surgery in March and went 1-4 with a 4.14 ERA.

Mientkiewicz, acquired from Boston last winter after the Mets failed to sign free-agent Carlos Delgado, hit .240 with 11 homers and 29 RBI.

New York also activated outfielder Mike Cameron, right-handers Bartolome Fortunato and Tyler Yates, left-hander Felix Heredia and infielder Jeff Keppinger from the 60-day disabled list.

Also Monday, infielder Jose Offerman filed for free agency.
    These are no brainers but fun to hear the Mets will spend a lot more money finding replacements.

Aww...now I can't hear the Post whine about them anymore...
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Mets need Jose Mesa so they can continue to suck at the end of games.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.